Menu

Star Wars room ideas?

I'm getting ready to do the boys' room. They would like a Star Wars theme. We've discussed a mural because I'm comfortable painting them. The boys like that idea, but we know we won't be here more than 3-5 years. I could still paint, but I've already decided to paint some scenes in Dd2's room, and I hesitate to do too much.

I don't want to spend hundreds on decor, but I'd be willing buy some things. Dh would not want to build special furniture, but I could handle modifying furniture if it was simple. The room is about 10 x 12, maybe a little bigger. It will have a bunkbed (with a full on bottom) that will take about 1/3 of the floor space. They will have a dresser, but I could put it in the closet.

So, does anyone have any fun ideas?

Well, I would definitely start with the wall mounted light sabers. A collection of 3 would look really good, but 1 is fine also.

Since you're planning to move, I would just go with decals and save myself the trouble of painting. They don't have to be expensive unless you want to get a large one to make an impact. Etsy has a bunch of decals that are different from the retail stuff and can be customized. Amazon has largish decals for around $20.

For artwork, you could just get posters.

Target had some Star Wars bedding recently. Old style, IIRC. They also have this Darth Vader rug for $20.

Pottery Barn Kids has Star Wars stuff also. They had a Darth Vader night light.

For decorations, are they into Lego? I would save a space for Lego and just have them build their Lego Star Wars collection over time and put it on display. I found a display case for minifigures last Christmas that would be really nice. I just went to look it up and found this one that might be even better.

Something like this is really nice looking and would look good on top of a dresser.

I forgot: my kids have the Lego Star Wars digital alarm clocks. They run about $20 and there's different characters.

Thanks for all the ideas! I know I should go with decals. They'd be easier and probably cheaper, too. I was going to paint a scene from VI with trees and Ewoks. It would be very fun but very difficult to paint over.

Toys R Us has those light saber lamps (& other things, I think).

Lego now sells globes of Naboo, Death Star, etc.

Glow in the dark stars?

I need to make sure our boys don't see this thread, or we'll be painting THEIR room!

Do you know if the lamps are actual lamps or nightlights? My little guy likes a nightlight and that would be a fun one.

My son has 3 HUGE Star Wars ship kites hanging from his ceiling. They are super cool and were cheap. Also - Target has some SW bedding (as did Pottery Barn - which you might be able to find on eBay).

Where did you get the kites?

We have an awesome (IMO) Star Wars room for my ds10. I'll try to get up today and take some picks. But briefly, I painted a light gray with a darker gray stripe around the room. Then I painted all the furniture dark gray to match. On the closet doors I painted a galaxy far, far away. Then we bought a ton of the Clone Wars wallies and put them up everywhere. I am expecting that with a good paint and primer it will be easy to paint over and my ds loves it.

My ds has a Star Wars room. On wall has a fathead Death Star. It's pretty big and centered above the chair rail. We bought a modern looking Ikea bed and desk, bookshelf and chair to give a spaceship feel. He has the Pottery Barn bedding with the Millenium Falcon on it. I went to Etsy and found a vinyl shop and had the opening words from Star Wars printed in navy and I put those over his headboard.

His desk has two large shelves, which hold a lot of ships. He's 12, so they are decoration now and stay there. I had an original Return of the Jedi poster framed for the wall beside his desk. On the closet wall, he has a bookshelf with square openings. I mixed books with Star Wars mugs, toys and a cool Darth Vadar helmet from an old Halloween costume. On the top, he has some Star wars Lego ships.

He has lots of little star wars stuff on the main part of his desk. After Christmas you can find mugs to hold pens and pencils. They are usually on clearance. He does have a light saber hanging on the other side of his desk. I just used navy and grey and went from there. He is too old to have a room with lots of little kid stickers on the wall, so the fathead was great for us. It was really easy to put on, and can be pull off, if you get it crooked the first time!

We have an awesome (IMO) Star Wars room for my ds10. I'll try to get up today and take some picks. But briefly, I painted a light gray with a darker gray stripe around the room. Then I painted all the furniture dark gray to match. On the closet doors I painted a galaxy far, far away. Then we bought a ton of the Clone Wars wallies and put them up everywhere. I am expecting that with a good paint and primer it will be easy to paint over and my ds loves it.

I'd love to see it!

My ds has a Star Wars room. On wall has a fathead Death Star. It's pretty big and centered above the chair rail. We bought a modern looking Ikea bed and desk, bookshelf and chair to give a spaceship feel. He has the Pottery Barn bedding with the Millenium Falcon on it. I went to Etsy and found a vinyl shop and had the opening words from Star Wars printed in navy and I put those over his headboard.

His desk has two large shelves, which hold a lot of ships. He's 12, so they are decoration now and stay there. I had an original Return of the Jedi poster framed for the wall beside his desk. On the closet wall, he has a bookshelf with square openings. I mixed books with Star Wars mugs, toys and a cool Darth Vadar helmet from an old Halloween costume. On the top, he has some Star wars Lego ships.

He has lots of little star wars stuff on the main part of his desk. After Christmas you can find mugs to hold pens and pencils. They are usually on clearance. He does have a light saber hanging on the other side of his desk. I just used navy and grey and went from there. He is too old to have a room with lots of little kid stickers on the wall, so the fathead was great for us. It was really easy to put on, and can be pull off, if you get it crooked the first time!

Are the ships Lego ships or models or die casts or something else? I was thinking my older one would be good at models and thought I'd get him a beginner one for Christmas. I wonder if we could start a collection of Star Wars models, assuming they have them.

Are the ships Lego ships or models or die casts or something else? I was thinking my older one would be good at models and thought I'd get him a beginner one for Christmas. I wonder if we could start a collection of Star Wars models, assuming they have them.

Actually, they are the toy ships and an AT-AT. I bought a couple of the 12"- 14" clone war characters, too. He already owned most things. He does have a couple of models, but they are smaller. I'd show you a picture, but it's rather messy right now!

Ds has the Pottery Barn sheets (a Christmas gift from his grandmother a couple years ago) and a plain navy comforter and navy curtains. He has some various ships hanging from his ceiling using fishing line. The shelves in his room hold all of his various completed Star Wars Legos for display. The piece de resistance is this huge Deathstar hanging over his bed (it was purchased when the website had a Black Friday/Cyber Monday 50% off sale two years ago):

http://www.fathead.com/entertainment/star-wars/death-star/?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-All%20Products-_-vq16-92-92011-vq17-1%26iq_id=-vq16-92-92011-vq17-1&gclid=CKGv9vm_iLMCFexAMgodyXIAow

Have you thought about decopauge? How bout decopauging the dresser or bunk with SW wrapping paper? Something along these lines?

I've never tried decopauge. I have some odds and ends pieces of furniture. I'll have to see what the space looks like when I get the main pieces of furniture in. I was thinking of putting a smallish table and chairs in, but it might make it too close.

Ds has the Pottery Barn sheets (a Christmas gift from his grandmother a couple years ago) and a plain navy comforter and navy curtains. He has some various ships hanging from his ceiling using fishing line. The shelves in his room hold all of his various completed Star Wars Legos for display. The piece de resistance is this huge Deathstar hanging over his bed (it was purchased when the website had a Black Friday/Cyber Monday 50% off sale two years ago):

http://www.fathead.com/entertainment/star-wars/death-star/?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-All%20Products-_-vq16-92-92011-vq17-1%26iq_id=-vq16-92-92011-vq17-1&gclid=CKGv9vm_iLMCFexAMgodyXIAow

The boys have plain blue comforters now. I was thinking of just adding a couple of decorative pillows. I think I'll get some sheets.

Here is a blog post I just did with pictures of ds10's room. Thanks for inspiring me to take the pictures. It's been awhile since I gave myself a pat on the back and I really do love that room.

Ds has a ton of Star Wars ships that have been collected over time. He doesn't like the Lego versions because he likes to play with his Legos and gets frustrated when he can't make remake a ship according to the directions because the pieces are missing or difficult to find. Lego, for him, is free flowing creation.

I tried to get him to let me hang some of his ships but he likes to play with them so any kind of permanent display was not to be tolerated. In theory the book shelves are to house his Star Wars ships and figures but they are constantly in use and rarely make it to display.

Here is a blog post I just did with pictures of ds10's room. Thanks for inspiring me to take the pictures. It's been awhile since I gave myself a pat on the back and I really do love that room.

Ds has a ton of Star Wars ships that have been collected over time. He doesn't like the Lego versions because he likes to play with his Legos and gets frustrated when he can't make remake a ship according to the directions because the pieces are missing or difficult to find. Lego, for him, is free flowing creation.

I tried to get him to let me hang some of his ships but he likes to play with them so any kind of permanent display was not to be tolerated. In theory the book shelves are to house his Star Wars ships and figures but they are constantly in use and rarely make it to display.

Thank you for posting pictures. I really like how the closet doors look with triangles painted on the sides and the stormtrooper standing there. The layout of our room won't let me do something like that, though. I think we'll have to rewatch the movies this weekend and see if I can find something like that that will work with our space.

You said you are comfortable painting a mural. I am not an artist but what I have done is buy the largest canvas at Michaels to paint on. You could even do two side by side. Then you have them forever and it covers most of a wall.

They have coupons for a percentage off one item.