Menu

Challenge A for Classical Conversations

tkdkidsmom

There is no way to answer that without more information, but I will tell you what I know based on what I hear from other parents. It is very writing intensive. If you are not familiar with IEW, there will be a learning curve. I think the math would be okay because they do not use an accelerated Saxon sequence. The kids are also having a tough time with the Latin. If your child is a strong writer and has a Latin background, that is a different story. I hear that it is very time intensive. I have been scoping it out for a couple of years, so I always have my ears open. :bigear:

I don't have a child in Challenge yet but I plan to when my kids are ready and one of my best friends works closely with people who are very close to Leigh Bortins and has two kids in Challenge herself. What I have heard is the the workload is supposed to be about 4 hours a day, however it varies widely from child to child depending on their background (writing, Latin, etc.), their ability to memorize and focus/stay on task, and how fast they read. I've heard of it taking up to 10 hours to complete the work but I would imagine there are other things going on in a situation like that.....

They seem to be fine with putting a child in who is above the age they should be but seem more hesitant to put in a child who is younger than 12. But it is all case by case. In my case, I'm putting my kids in "late" because of learning issues in the oldest and health and maturity issues with the second. I'm hoping to put my others in "on time". But if you can prove your child is ready I'm sure they would at least consider it......

Thanks for the replies. We just started Foundations and Essentials this year, and I guess I'm really just thinking ahead.

I originally thought 7th grade would be best for ds to enroll in Challenge A, but our director is asking parents of this year's 5th graders if they are thinking of Challenge A for next year. I thought perhaps I was being too conservative by wanting to wait until 7th.

CC generally recommends kids enter Challenge A when kids are 12 years old. Of course, there are always exceptions. Sometimes kids are a 13 when they enter Challenge A. On occasion an 11 yr. old is admitted, but this is generally not encouraged -- mostly because of more mature topics and heavier workload in upper challenge levels.

I have a friend who's daughter (just turned 12) started Challenge A this year. She wishes she had stuck with Foundations and Essentials another year and waited on the Challenge until next year. They are finding it takes much more time and energy for her daughter to complete the assignments on top of the other areas of study they are working on each week. Having said that, I'm guessing that different CC groups run their Challenge programs differently so it may be somewhat difficult to compare. I would try to go in and observe the Challenge A class and see if you think it would be a good fit for your child.