Menu

Girl Scout brownie question

C is a brownie and she needs the uniform- shirt/sash/dress (we dont wear pants). I found an older uniform on CL for $5. Its pants/dress/sash/shirt/neckties. I can use everything but the shirt i think? The leader of the troop said a white shirt and this one has a white/brown shirt.. I am waiting to hear back from her, but do you think that would be ok? Its an official uniform, its just an older version. Plus its a whole lot cheaper than buying the uniform new!

Also did you find the hat or kneehighs/tights needed? The leader didnt say anything so i dont know?

Here is the pic of the uniform:

http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f2%5f303610%5fAD8Xw0MAAAs0UH1nvQB6bD4It8Q&pid=2.2&fid=Sent&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeo

Here is a link to a close up of the shirt in question:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/106415062/vintage-girl-scout-brownie-uniform-1970s

Edited by Jpoy85

I had that uniform when I was a brownie! I don't have an answer to your question but I was just curious...do you consider a skort to be pants? The brownie uniform now has a skort so I was just wondering. The official brownie uniform has a blue shirt. Is your troop not wearing the official uniform?

ETA: I just asked my sister, who is a brownie leader, and she said that they just had this question come up at their meeting and the answer is yes, old uniforms can be worn.

Edited by trlt

I had that uniform when I was a brownie! I don't have an answer to your question but I was just curious...do you consider a skort to be pants? The brownie uniform now has a skort so I was just wondering. The official brownie uniform has a blue shirt. Is your troop not wearing the official uniform?

ETA: I just asked my sister, who is a brownie leader, and she said that they just had this question come up at their meeting and the answer is yes, old uniforms can be worn.

The uniform is actually a white shirt not a blue one like shown. According to the leader. She made sure to point that out when she sent the uniform info. The leader said (copied from email)

"Hi everyone

The girls voted to get the sash for their uniforms. So they will need

-sash (regular size should fit all of them) $6

- american flag patch $1.75

-western ohio council id set $4

- troop numbers ***** $1.25 each

-Brownie insignia tab $2.50

they are getting more of the Brownie insignia tabs in next week they are out right now, so you may want to call to check before heading up.

The store is located in ********

Store hours are

The official uniform is the sash with a white shirt and khaki pants. They do sell a skOrt there but it seems pointless to get it since it will be too cold to wear it most of the year, we can just go with khaki pants and a white shirt. India got a white girl scout tshirt, it was $14, but any white shirt is fine. I am not sure why they show a blue shirt in the pictures of the uniforms since everything you read says white.

Good thing is they will be Brownies for at least 2 years, so you won't have to buy anything new next year. The Brownie caps would be cute too if they want to wear them but don't have to.

So $20.50 is the total for the specific Brownie stuff from the store. I am not sure if the girls need their own Journey book yet, I will find out and email again tonight. Again, you want to call them to see if they have the Brownie insignia tabs in yet before heading up.

Here is a link to a picture of it.

They will get their brownie membership pins at the October mtg. from me

Also, you will need the stuff to help put the patches on, they sell it there, something like badge magic.

http://www.girlscoutsofwesternohio.org/Shop/Shop%20Documents/1101348-001%20Brownie%20Uniform%20Placement%20Price%20List%202011.pdf "

No She cant wear the skort- its short. I prefer a skirt or dress only.

GSUSA says that Brownies can either wear the brownie specific uniform {blue shirt, brown pant / skort / skirt from the GS shop} OR the GSUSA official uniform {white polo & khaki bottoms}. Along with that goes your choice of sash or vest {I recommend vest if you'll be doing a lot of patches - the sash fills up FAST}.

Just any white polo and khaki skirt will do :D

If your troop leader gives you a hard time about it being a skirt instead of pants, just say it's for religious reasons.

When I was a Brownie Leader, ANY official uniform was considered an official uniform. I can't imagine anyone fussing over it or insisting they all be exactly the same. (Maybe if you did an official, televised flag ceremony at the White House.) If you don't wear pants, I'd just do the skort with leggings, or any khaki skirt or jumper that matched with leggings or tights for cold weather.

When I led, we only required the girls to get the vest so we'd have a place to wear all of those badges. The rest of the uniform was optional.

ETA: The sash does fill up WAY fast. I actually had to lengthen dds Brownie AND Junior vests during her third year in each.

Edited by KungFuPanda

GSUSA says that Brownies can either wear the brownie specific uniform {blue shirt, brown pant / skort / skirt from the GS shop} OR the GSUSA official uniform {white polo & khaki bottoms}. Along with that goes your choice of sash or vest {I recommend vest if you'll be doing a lot of patches - the sash fills up FAST}.

Thanks for the clarification. I didnt know that.

When I was a Brownie Leader, ANY official uniform was considered an official uniform. I can't imagine anyone fussing over it or insisting they all be exactly the same. (Maybe if you did an official, televised flag ceremony at the White House.) If you don't wear pants, I'd just do the skort with leggings, or any khaki skirt or jumper that matched with leggings or tights for cold weather.

When I led, we only required the girls to get the vest so we'd have a place to wear all of those badges. The rest of the uniform was optional.

ETA: The sash does fill up WAY fast. I actually had to lengthen dds Brownie AND Junior vests during her third year in each.

Thanks and LOL at the White House.

Wouldn't a plain khaki skirt be sufficient?

I have honestly never seen any GS in our area wear anything other than the sash/vest for their uniform.

The girls are required to wear their full uniforms to all meetings and outings according to the leader.

I could get a plain khaki skirt but even if i didnt use this shirt and only used the sash and jumper- Im still saving money rather than buying a new shirt and skirt + everything else. Im paying $5 for a whole uniform vs the $20 the leader quoted. Even if i have to buy a shirt for w/e reason I should be able to find one under $5 a the goodwill.

The girls picked the sash. In Daisies they picked the vest. I would of picked the vest ;)

I'm glad your leader approved

FYI I just completed the new leader training for Brownies in Rhode Island. There was NO mention of requiring a full GSUSA uniform. In this area, we only use the vest. I think it's important for leaders to have realistic expectations re: family expenses in scouting. In my son's cub scout pack, when boys cross to the next level, they pass on their hats, neckerchief & slide. I've only purchased one shirt in the nearly 4 yrs he's been a scout(we were encourage to buy a large size so he could wear it through 5th grade).

Wouldn't a plain khaki skirt be sufficient?

I have honestly never seen any GS in our area wear anything other than the sash/vest for their uniform.

That's what we used. I made the khaki skirt myself, as a matter of fact -- a very simple one with an elastic waist.

We only required the white shirt/khaki bottoms for Court of Awards. The rest of the time the girls wore their sashes or vests over whatever clothing they happened to have on.

I'm glad your leader approved

FYI I just completed the new leader training for Brownies in Rhode Island. There was NO mention of requiring a full GSUSA uniform. In this area, we only use the vest. I think it's important for leaders to have realistic expectations re: family expenses in scouting. In my son's cub scout pack, when boys cross to the next level, they pass on their hats, neckerchief & slide. I've only purchased one shirt in the nearly 4 yrs he's been a scout(we were encourage to buy a large size so he could wear it through 5th grade).

The leader just simply (in the above email i copied) said what to get and where. There was no mention of IF you cant get it or cant afford it. She wants the girls to have their full uniforms with the starter badges/decals (flag/troop number) or w/e they are called + The book BY the November meeting.

I like the group, even if we apparently have a weird leader. :confused:

It's been a long time since I was a GS, but we were only required to wear a sash or vest on outings (not meetings) and full uniform if we were participating in a national event.

Also, all of our pins and badges came out of troop funds.

I miss the old Girl Scouts. ;)

I dont know about future pins/badges. I just know we have to get the starter ones. I also have to pay $10 membership to the place we hold the meetings at plus $5 each meeting "Whether the brownie attends or not". I have no idea if any of this is normal or not? I knew Id have to pay dues but I thought it was a one time thing.

I am very thankful I could find this old uniform though. Hopefully I can pass it on, even if its to my own children. :001_smile:

I dont know about future pins/badges. I just know we have to get the starter ones. I also have to pay $10 membership to the place we hold the meetings at plus $5 each meeting "Whether the brownie attends or not". I have no idea if any of this is normal or not? I knew Id have to pay dues but I thought it was a one time thing.

I am very thankful I could find this old uniform though. Hopefully I can pass it on, even if its to my own children. :001_smile:

BTW - i am seriously into GS. seriously.

a leader cannot make you get a uniform. period. they also cannot make you pay dues. tell your leader it is in the volunteer essentials document.

$5 per meeting is outrageous.

Robin in NJ

Also, the girls do not need their own journey books. I am not a fan of the journey and see no point in brownies doing one. The older girls must do one if they want to earn bronze, silver or gold)

the leader can get the journey set for $15 ($10 on sale now through national)

and can work with the girls on the 'journey'

an even better investment would be the Girl's guide. one for the troop to use. or download the requirements off the internet. those are the badges/requirements. waaaay more fun than the journey.

Robin

How frequent are your meetings? What exactly will the dues cover? Depending on what will be done w/that money, $5 might not be too much. I've seen some troops with dues at $150 for the year, but they did a lot of activities and the girls paid nothing out of pocket once they paid that amount. The leader sets the dues, hopefully she received input from the council regarding that amount. There's nothing wrong with asking her why the dues are so high.

No the leader can't make you pay the dues, but that's where the funds come from for badges, supplies, and trips, esp if it's a start up troop and you haven't had any cookie/nut-mag sales. If there's no money in the kitty, then she either has to front the money herself or the girls don't do anything.

One thing that seems odd to me is why are you paying $10 to the place she's holding the meetings? Where are you meeting that's charging her for the space?

BTW - i am seriously into GS. seriously.

a leader cannot make you get a uniform. period. they also cannot make you pay dues. tell your leader it is in the volunteer essentials document.

$5 per meeting is outrageous.

Robin in NJ

Umm, yeah, that is nuts. I haven't seen an actual girls scout uniform since I was in GS over 30 yrs ago. Most wear a GS t-shirt, and sash or vest. And NO way would I pay all those fees.

Umm, yeah, that is nuts. I haven't seen an actual girls scout uniform since I was in GS over 30 yrs ago. Most wear a GS t-shirt, and sash or vest. And NO way would I pay all those fees.

I actually think having all the girls wear a uniform is nice. Since a uniform can be just a white shirt and khaki pants/skirt it isn't really a big deal and doesn't have to cost a lot at all. It's not something they have to just wear for girl scouts. When I was in girl scouts we all wore our uniforms (30 years ago, too). I think that when there are cookie booths and the girls are all in uniforms it would look better. It drives me crazy with girls looking sloppy with random clothes and their vest or sash. I think appearance is important. Just my opinion.

BTW, OP I love that your dd is going to wear the jumper...I think it's cute!

I dont know what the $5 covers? Last meeting all we did was talk. Then Oct meeting was canceled because the leader's car broke down. The meetings are held at the community center. The membership to JOIN the rec center is $10 but why shed charge all of the girls $10 to hold the meeting there I dont know? Its only 1 time a month for the meeting. $45 for dues + $10 for the meeting place isnt a bad price but ill just have to ask what it goes towards. We do outings, over the summer we went to the water park as a group and none of the girls had to pay anything since the leader covered it. They had a tea party and a sleep over too over the summer. I didnt join this group til the summer so i dont know about anything else they do.

I have been to 2 groups when looking for a troop. 1 (Daisies) was nice but they were all already friends and not very welcoming. Then there was GS camp and a total lack of communication to parents for anything. We quickly left. 2 was this group (Brownies). Everyone is a HSer and so nice. They seem to be better organized and welcoming..... I could look for a different group but if i can figure this one out, id rather stick with them.

Im ok the the uniform situation now. Ill just have to figure out the Journey Book- maybe i can find one at Half Price Books or something?

Edited by Jpoy85

I dont know what the $5 covers? Last meeting all we did was talk. Then Oct meeting was canceled because the leader's car broke down. The meetings are held at the community center. The membership to JOIN the rec center is $10 but why shed charge all of the girls $10 to hold the meeting there I dont know? Its only 1 time a month for the meeting. $45 for dues + $10 for the meeting place isnt a bad price but ill just have to ask what it goes towards. We do outings, over the summer we went to the water park as a group and none of the girls had to pay anything since the leader covered it. They had a tea party and a sleep over too over the summer. I didnt join this group til the summer so i dont know about anything else they do.

I have been to 2 groups when looking for a troop. 1 (Daisies) was nice but they were all already friends and not very welcoming. Then there was GS camp and a total lack of communication to parents for anything. We quickly left. 2 was this group (Brownies). Everyone is a HSer and so nice. They seem to be better organized and welcoming..... I could look for a different group but if i can figure this one out, id rather stick with them.

Im ok the the uniform situation now. Ill just have to figure out the Journey Book- maybe i can find one at Half Price Books or something?

Which Journey book is it? I'm pretty sure I have an extra Brownie Quest girl book, lightly used. I'd be happy to send it for the cost of postage.