Menu

Does anyone do a more relaxed Monday?

robsiew

Argggg.... Mondays SUCK at our house! Kids can't get rolling, everyone is bickering and work doesn't get done. I'm thinking about making Monday our "light" day instead of Friday. I'm concerned though that Tuesday will just become "Monday". Don't need that!

Do you do a more relaxed Monday? How does it work? Does it make the rest of the week easier?

Honestly, once we get past Monday we're fine. I have a crew that hates transition. Thinking maybe if we slowly got into routine for the week it would be better.

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

Oh, yes, but in our case, I wanted Monday (and Tuesday, actually) to be relaxed because I had withdrawn dd from a very rigid private school; the pressure of getting up in the morning and out of the house so we could be there on time, then picking her up in the afternoon, having her change clothes and do her homework, have dinner and baths and get into bed no later than 8 so we could start all over again the next day...GAH!!!

So I did all the housecleaning and laundry on Friday, and on Monday we just...got up. No errands, no outside classes of any kind, no field trips, no nothing, not even telephone calls or sewing or crafty things for me. Just getting up, having breakfast and getting dressed, and staying home.

As it turns out, Monday is now my favorite day of the week, :)

I have started this year scheduling 4 regular days and 1 light day. However, that day gets moved around sometimes. Might be Monday, Friday or even a Saturday. Generally, though, these days we seem to need it most on Mondays, as weekends are very busy. Ds is on a travel baseball team and we do a lot of driving and time away from the house on the weekends, so by Monday we are all pretty wiped out and just need to chill. Tuesday is like Monday, but a good Monday. :)

On Mondays, we might do no school or focus more on read alouds, a couple of light basics, and getting outside.

Due to DH's work schedule right now, we take Mondays off. No school.

We hit the books hard on T-W-Th, have co-op and catch-up and karate on Friday, and do a half-day on Saturday.

I was dreading the schedule, but have been really surprised how well it's worked out - Monday functions as "Monday" for the house / chores / yard work, and then Tuesday functions as "Monday" for school (but only for school, since my "house" stuff is caught up from the real Monday :lol: ).

That sentence might not even make sense, but - it's working for us! And I didn't think it was going to!

ETA: Ages of kids: 4th grade, 4th grade, 1st grade. Might not work for older kids. Though of course, it might.

We started this year by doing a co-op just for science on Mondays. For that reason, only a few things are scheduled for Mondays. Now, we've pulled out of the co-op, but have kept the lighter Monday schedule. I love it! No longer do I wake up and dread the beginning of the week! It's so relaxed and gives the kiddos the time to do school calmly, with little breaks, and time to chase rabbit trails for history online. I'm finding that on Mondays the kids are asking, can I make a crown project for history? Can I do this extra experiement? Can I google this archeologist? It's great - last year we had light Fridays and that kind of stuff never happened because we were too tired from the week so all they wanted to do was play Wii. :) Light Mondays rock!

I did that last year and now this year. Last year it was because my dd's vision therapy was in the morning on Monday, so I made that our errand day because we would be out of the house and Monday evenings my youngest has gymnastics so it just made sense to have that day off.

This year we don't have vision therapy, but we're not good at Mondays, so it's our light day. We do math and spelling for sure, I'll throw in grammar reading for my older two if we're on a roll. Then we do art and that's it.

My youngest does phonics and math, then he can join us for art if he wants.

Right now, we're not really doing much school on Mondays, mostly because I teach a co-op science class on Monday afternoons, and my morning is consumed with, "C'mon kids, we have to try out this experiment to make sure it works!" And "Hurry up and get your shoes on. We're going to Walmart because forgot to buy 10 bottles of glue." :lol:

I may just keep it a light day after the co-op ends and go to the park for a couple hours.

We do "projects" on Monday ... Circle Time, Art, Science, History (including map work), Geography and go to the Library. No independent work or lessons.

Mondays are our most difficult day because Sundays have been long, so a more relaxing, together-schedule is vastly superior to trying to get the children to do math, grammar, and writing or independent work.

We do "school lite" on Monday, because Monday is our heaviest activity day. Plus the whole first day of the week thing hits us all hard. :) Weekends are never long enough. :lol:

We start slow Monday mornings and always do math, some LA...then anything else that gets done is a bonus! I often do the fun stuff on Mondays to help with all our attitudes (LOF, Beast Academy, art, etc).

Our Mondays are actually better days. Mon/tues we get more done. By Wed we need a bit of a breather, and then by Thurs we are motivated it is almost Friday. SO I guess WEdnesday would be our lighter day

:iagree: This is exactly how we feel.