Menu

My Cat Isn't Feeling Well

My kitty will be 10 years old in December. He is a big boy, about 20 lbs.

Lately, he has been having trouble jumping into chairs, onto the bed, etc. and acting sluggish. The bones on his lower back are becoming more noticeable but he doesn't seem to have lost weight.

He has also been licking himself more these past two months, but we didn't think much of it until he started acting odd. Not obsessive licking, but stopping in his tracks to lick his paw, his chest, etc. He also began licking our hardwood floor in the living room this past month. It is only a few spots, so I don't know if it is related to him not feeling well or something is there that he likes.

We should be able to bring him to the vet next month, but is there anything we can do for him now, preferably natural? I think it is joint issues since he is large and his back end seems to have trouble following his front end when he jumps.

I hate seeing my sweet boy in pain :sad:

ETA: Also, he has always been big on covering up in the litter box. My mom said yesterday he used it, didn't cover it up, and then licked the litter box after he got out. This troubles me the most because usually we are yelling at him to stop because he kicks the litter all over the floor until he makes a huge mountain of litter in the box.

Sounds like it's just ageing-related. Give him the best food you can afford, make sure he has a comfy place to sleep, and be careful how you handle and pet him (gently). I have heard mixed things about joint supplements, like glucosamine.

(But what I really want is to hear about your wedding and see a pic! :D)

Sounds like it's just ageing-related. Give him the best food you can afford, make sure he has a comfy place to sleep, and be careful how you handle and pet him (gently). I have heard mixed things about joint supplements, like glucosamine.

(But what I really want is to hear about your wedding and see a pic! :D)

My dad had mentioned glucosamine as well, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

I just posted a thread called "Wedding Photo Bomb" with some pictures :001_smile: I'll make a post on that thread about the wedding.

The glucosomine tablets are worth a try.

We have a 12 year old large cat, and we have been giving him glucosomine tablets -- we buy them at Wal-mart, so not super expensive -- for a few months. He had been meowing for us to lift him up to the couch/bed instead of jumping and he had missed his target a few times and landed with a thunk on the floor. He also was unable to continue to squat to pee and by the end would be shooting it straight behind him. :001_huh:Fortunately, we had a covered cat box. So I was cleaning the cat box every time he went in. At first, I didn't notice a change, but within the past month, I've noticed he's jumping again pretty well. And I don't have to clean the cat box every other minute :D, although the problem with squatting isn't completely solved -- he has a problem about 1x a week now. He gets 1 tablet a day with a spoonful of Fancy Feast. He licks the plate clean, therefore, we don't have to force a pill down his throat.

Edited by beckyjo

When you do get him to a vet, you may want to get his kidney function checked, as well as checking him for diabetes.

In the meantime, I'd make sure he has plenty of fresh water available, food geared for older/renal cats, & set up stools or other steps so he can get to his usual places w/out falling/getting injured.

According to our vet, licking or eating litter can be a sign of kidney problems. You might want to read about them and see if the other signs fit.

When you do get him to a vet, you may want to get his kidney function checked, as well as checking him for diabetes.

In the meantime, I'd make sure he has plenty of fresh water available, food geared for older/renal cats, & set up stools or other steps so he can get to his usual places w/out falling/getting injured.

Ugh, I was worried it would be something like this.

He seems to be constipated, as well. Today he went to use the litter box and TMI but only a small ball of feces came out. He got out of the box, licked the box a little, and then sat there looking like he wasn't done using the bathroom but couldn't go.

My parents also said he isn't eating as much. He has been drinking a lot of water for about the past month. Also, we does a chewing thing were he chews something we can't see for about 10 minutes. He's done this for the past year. We thought it was fur or something he was chewing on, but now I wonder if it is ulcers in the back of his mouth?

Also, his gums are only pink right by his canines. The rest are very, very pale. His tongue is pretty pale, as well.

He's sitting under the computer desk right now. My sweet baby boy :sad:

I agree that he really needs a diagnosis. It sounds like he is losing muscle mass (given the prominent spine). Kidney disease and diabetes mellitus are both very common in cats, and of course there are many other things that could be going on.

:grouphug: Here's hoping for a good outcome for you and your kitty.

We decided not to wait and bring him to a vet ASAP. We're going in tomorrow at 9. I explained the symptoms to the vet and he urged us to go to the emergency vet hospital, but we cannot afford it. It is $75 just to walk in and if they have to euthanize, you have to pay to accompany your pet :glare:

My kitty is sleeping soundly on my pillows right now, so I'll just love on him lots and hope for the best.

The vet we are seeing tomorrow and my aunt (who was a vet tech) both think it is Kidney Failure. The vet said he would take a blood test and send us to the ER vet for the Xray tomorrow. We can't afford either. If the vet strongly suspects Kidney Failure though, we will have to put him down.

I feel horrible though. What if the vet thinks it is Kidney Failure and we put him down and it wasn't? I see all the symptoms. We can feel the bones on his lower back and rump. He drinks excessively, can't jump anymore, is lethargic and a lot slower than usual. He also "chews the air" and has done this for about a year and we think now it may be oral ulcers under his tongue he is trying to get.

I don't know if I can make the decision without a definite diagnosis, but we can't afford the tests.

What if I decide to put my baby boy to sleep and it wasn't his time?

:crying:

Try not to worry too much. Kidney failure is not an immediate death sentence. There are special diets for kidney problems, and cats can often live for another few years on the kidney diets. I would talk to the vet and see if they can do either blood or urine testing but not both to give you an idea what's going on at less cost.

Edited to add: You almost certainly don't have to euthanize him tomorrow. They can give him some fluids sub-cutaneously (under his skin), and that will help. Then the diet should help a lot.

Stephanie, I had to put my ten-year-old cat down last month. I LOVED that cat so much. She most likely had liver cancer, and treatment wouldn't have been possible. I had a lovely last few days with her, and took her in for a quick, peaceful end.

It may be your cat's time. I know about all the "what ifs," but if you can't afford it, you may have your answer. I don't mean to sound cold, and I send you lots and lots of love in a difficult time. :grouphug:

Try not to worry too much. Kidney failure is not an immediate death sentence. There are special diets for kidney problems, and cats can often live for another few years on the kidney diets. I would talk to the vet and see if they can do either blood or urine testing but not both to give you an idea what's going on at less cost.

Edited to add: You almost certainly don't have to euthanize him tomorrow. They can give him some fluids sub-cutaneously (under his skin), and that will help. Then the diet should help a lot.

:iagree: My elderly cat has been in 'renal failure' for a few years now. I give him IV fluids at home (buy them in bulk, at cost, from the vet's office) & that helps immensely.

We got back from the Vet a little while ago. We had to put my little man down. The roof of his mouth and gums were yellow and the Vet felt a tumor in his abdomen. He said the only thing the ER vet hospital could do is prolong his life, not make him better.

He was almost 10 years old and was the sweetest boy. He acted like a human. Whenever I held him he would wrap his paws around my neck and lay his head on my shoulder. He would always reach his paw out at us if we weren't paying attention to him. He was a big trouble maker, but the cuddliest baby boy. :crying:

post-15987-13535087697603_thumb.jpg

post-15987-13535087698048_thumb.jpg

post-15987-13535087697603_thumb.jpg

post-15987-13535087698048_thumb.jpg