Menu

Article on Homeschooling--SWB posted it on FB

http://nymag.com/guides/everything/homeschooling-2012-10/

It was pretty balanced, I thought. I did not like them using a homeschooled 20ish young lady to bash the lack of socialization--One person's experience does not equal the total truth, y'know? So of course they had to get digs in.

And, I was surprised that the NEA has come out so very strongly opposed to homeschooling. Well, maybe not really...;)

(fixed the link to include whole thing)

Edited by Chris in VA

I found the article to be the usual silliness. Homeschoolers do better by every measurable standard, but it's still not good enough because one person didn't like her total experience (but not so much that she isn't planning to homeschool her own kids). Never mind did she think about whether or not her experience would actually have been different if she had gone to school (because no one in school EVER felt friendless!).

A Columbia U prof doesn't like homeschooling? Gee, I'm heartbroken. Especially after the article posted in another thread about what Columbia is famous for.

A woman doesn't want her kids to think "just like her"? Why not? Is her thinking all messed up? If it is, she probably *should* send her kids to school (or get her thinking straight). Doesn't mean we are all as handicapped as she.

So homeschoolers are socially awkward, have entitlement issues, bigoted, greedy, burdened and stressed.

Nice article that. :glare:

Well, some are/do. I think it's good to be honest that there are as many experiences with homeschooling as there are people doing it. But you are right, so often articles emphasize the negative. This summer, my sil really called me on making generalizations re homeschoolers. I was saying I found them to be less stressed (the kids), better behaved, more creative, etc. She laughed (she's a homeschooler) and said pretty much the above. I think she's right.

It's hard to get an article that shows everything--because it's so individual.

Well, some are/do. I think it's good to be honest that there are as many experiences with homeschooling as there are people doing it. But you are right, so often articles emphasize the negative. This summer, my sil really called me on making generalizations re homeschoolers. I was saying I found them to be less stressed (the kids), better behaved, more creative, etc. She laughed (she's a homeschooler) and said pretty much the above. I think she's right.

It's hard to get an article that shows everything--because it's so individual.

I suppose you are correct. But the first article you linked was nothing but a bash at homeschoolers. The first sentence (in the piece you originally linked) was basically the NEA statement that parents are too stupid to homeschool and it went down hill from there.

The NEA has been strongly against homeschooling for many years. There are several reasons for that. ;)

You can't really generalize about homeschoolers, as pp have said, good OR bad. There are just NOT comprehensive studies about how homeschoolers do compared to public or private school students. That never gets in anyone's way, of course, especially journalists. :lol: