Menu

Where do we sell silver coins?

My father left us a heavy box of silver coins. I've checked with all my siblings and except for some grandchildren, no one wants to keep any of the coins. We let all the grandchildren choose the coins they want to keep and now we want to sell the rest. How and where do we do this?

Pegasus

is to use one of those "services" I see advertised on TV where you put your silver into an envelope, mail it off, and trust them to give you a fair cash value for them. I see RIP-OFF written all over that scenario.

How many coins are you talking about? Someone probably ought to catalog them if that hasn't been done already. You should be able to find approximate values online, I'd think. Of course, you may have to do some crash study just to know enough to accurately catalog them.

Look in your Yellow Pages under coin dealers. I'd take them to at least a couple of places to find out what they'd give for them. Just like with baseball cards, there's often a difference between what someone says they're worth and what someone will actually give you for them.

Or if you want to donate them ;) to a nice older man with Alzheimer's Disease who would love to have more coins to look at, sort thru, count, list, etc., I have one here (my dh) who would gladly take them off your hands. ;);)

I sold some gold through USgoldbuyers.com. If you check their website you can see the article about them that was in The Wall Street Journal. I was so impressed with their service and the price I got for the gold...much higher than anyone around here offered.

If you are selling gold they pay shipping; I think you have to pay for shipping yourself if you are selling silver or other metals. Anyway, they'll take your coins and call/email you the price they are offering. If you don't like it, they'll send your stuff back to you. If you are happy with the price, they'll pay immediately. I had the money deposited in my Paypal account. It took 48 hours from when I sent the gold to the deposit...not bad.

Ria

The commercials I've seen -- I don't think they're for that particular company -- certainly don't mention anything like that. I still think it's wise to get a quote or two from someone local before you accept their offer.

Anyway, they'll take your coins and call/email you the price they are offering. If you don't like it, they'll send your stuff back to you.

I would find a reputable dealer to grade and price each coin. This will cost you a fee, but it's worth it. You'll know what you have and what each coin is worth.

Depending on the age and grade of the coin, you could have quite a bit of $$ involved. Ask him for an insurance replacement value and a current market value. These are two different prices. The market value can change relatively quickly.

And the last thing, I wouldn't tell him I was planning to sell the coins, nor would I sell them in his shop if he offered. If after finding the value of the coins and you want to ask him if he takes consignments, then thats up to you. If he offers first, I would feel as if he had a motive and possibly not give a true value of the coins.

** also, the fee should be a flat fee, not a percentage of the value of the coins. That will give you a good idea what kind of dealer he is.

Good luck!

Honestly, with the state of the economy, unless you have some need to liquidate them, I'd just stash them. Metals have an inherent value that may be very important down the road. Just a thought.

We don't have a pressing need for the money at this point so I think this is what we'll do for now. I'm going to save all the responses for future liquidation though!

Pegasus