Menu

My 12 year old broke both arms today.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the casts, don't get your hopes up for a waterproof. With a break near the wrist, they probably will not allow it. There are certain criteria that must be met. (Don't have a clue what they are, but ds wasn't allowed one with a similar break-only one arm!!!- until he was in a half cast and about healed. Sorry to hear the bad news. I cannot image...

With regard to the younger brother, I have a daughter who is nine and is so accomadating that I worry about how much attention she gets because her older siblings have special needs and younger sibs demand more attention. I have gotten into the habit of writing her letters praising her for accomplishments, helping, or just chatting and a joke. It really means a lot to her, and we keep it a "secret" which really helps having 5 siblings to feel like you have a little piece of your mom all to yourself. I also "confide" in her. Not real things, but you know "Phew, Today was a tough day. How was your day?" Doesn't take much time, but really means a lot to her.

I didn't read all the replies, but I remember when my dad broke both arms and was in full casts past the elbows when I was 8. I have recollections of my mom rigging up something with soup spoons and rubber bands so he could feed himself some things like mash potatoes, etc. Things that would "stick" to a spoon. Took some practice, but it did work. lol

I think she did it with a fork too for steak (which she cut) etc.

I am sorry for your guy! What a thing to go through.

It's not quite the same, but this past summer my son had cardiac surgery and needed help in the bathroom for a few days. He wore sweats/shorts and I would look away as I lowered them and leave him in the bathroom alone. I also looked away as I pulled his pants back up. Loose boxers help it go smoothly. I stood behind him to help after #2 and used flushable wipes so it was easy and fast. Avoiding eye contact does make it less embarrassing for both parties. :grouphug:

So far so good today. He's even figured out how to feed himself a little bit. I don't know how he does it! We have an appt tomorrow for the ortho so we'll find out more then. Thank you all for the wonderful ideas dealing with this and his little brother. I loved saraha's advice for my 9yo. Great idea!

I won't get my hopes up for waterproof, but received some helpful info about a Gore cast covering that may work. We'll just get through it.

Dh will be able to come home tonight. Hopefully, he can help with a shower.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

:grouphug: You deserve a little whine.

:iagree:

:grouphug:

You HAVE had a difficult year! Don't worry about schooling yet. See how the next few days play out and how independent your DS12 is able to be before making decisions about how much each child should still do. It will be fine. Give yourself some grace here.

:grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:, just try to get math in a few times a week and maybe now would be a good time for Liberty Kids?

So far so good today. He's even figured out how to feed himself a little bit. I don't know how he does it! We have an appt tomorrow for the ortho so we'll find out more then. Thank you all for the wonderful ideas dealing with this and his little brother. I loved saraha's advice for my 9yo. Great idea!

I won't get my hopes up for waterproof, but received some helpful info about a Gore cast covering that may work. We'll just get through it.

Dh will be able to come home tonight. Hopefully, he can help with a shower.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

Good. You can do it, remember, just keep swimming:001_smile:

Smoothies-

You can use any fruit (frozen or unfrozen). You can put just about anything in it.

I usually put 2 fruits (let's say 5-6 strawberries and 1 banana) and 1 veggie (let's say kale), a couple ounces of orange juice and some ice.

ideas of what to put in the smoothie

spinach- you can put handfuls in it and it will turn the smoothie green, but doesn't really add to the flavor at all

kale- super food that will provide a lot of nutrients

carrots, oranges, berries, etc.

You can put let's say 1/2 cup of yogurt or sherbet ice cream in them if you want.

Whey protein if you want to add protein.

Google smoothie recipes and you will find a ton!

Give him a straw and have him drink his meals!

Other things you can have him drink with a straw-

apple sauce, yogurt, pudding?, jello,

How would you (general) handle siblings?

I have no problem letting my 12yo slide. He's way ahead anyway in most subjects. Ironically, the one thing he needs work on is writing. LOL That's going to have to wait.

I've got a couple concerns with my youngest. He's a great kid. Super easy going. When we got home last night from the doctor's, he went to his room and grabbed a pair of basketball shorts that are big on him and told me that these would probably fit his brother. He's very sweet and helpful.

BUT, I don't want him to be resentful of the attention his brother is getting. Or the fact that he will have to do normal school while his brother is vegging on the couch with a vid. My oldest has always been my attention seeker (obviously, LOL) and I always feel like his little brother gets less of everything. I've always felt this way about my boys and try very hard to focus on my youngest, make sure he's not falling through the cracks, all the while trying not to over-compensate. It's a fine line and a tough balancing act.

How would you approach school with the injured's siblings? Ds9 will be fine doing school. He likes it. Rarely balks. Maybe I'm anticipating problems that won't be an issue?

Or, in a similar situation, would you guys let everyone slide?

Edit to add that Nevada has no time requirements or portfolio submissions. We are completely on our own. So this is an internally driven need for school. I don't need to answer anyone.

Sometimes 1 sibling requires more. It sounds like your 9yo has the disposition to handle that well, and unless you see signs that he's not handling it well, I think you need to give yourself permission to be off balance in your attention giving for awhile. I think kids naturally understand and expect this. They see the greater need in their sibling and I think it's almost a comfort to them to see that need met. It lets them know that when they're in greater need, they'll get the increased attention.

What you need to do first is make a list of everything that you do. All of your responsibilities, everything that needs to get done over the next month. Now cross off half of it. Are you a church goer? If so, now is the time to ask for help. Help with cleaning, help with meals, help shuttling your youngest to his activities.... When we've been consumed with my 12yo's health issues, those are all things that people from church stepped in to help us with.

Now, as for doing school with the 9yo, is that one of the things that YOU need to take off the list? I think the 9yo will be fine either way. Generally, I think kids like to stick with their normal schedule when life gets out of whack. It's comforting to have something stay the same. As for your 12yo, this might be a great way to improve his writing through narration. Also, you can look into Dragon Dictation software. My dh used it for awhile after a bad arm injury.

:grouphug: Keep that doctor's appointment. You need to keep yourself healthy.