Menu

Anonymous gift: creepy or overreacting?

I hate this. It's a sign of the times. People are cynical. They watch too much television and true crime bios. I think it is sad that so many are cynical because there are people out there who genuinely don't want any credit for making someone else smile. There is even a movement, Random Acts of Kindness, who advocates anonymous gifting, including leaving a bouquet of flowers on your neighbor's door (see www.helpothers.org/ideas.php).

I found this thread, and many other similtar message board threads, on this topic and the majority of people seem to say it's creepy. So, no random act of kindess from me. I was set to buy a book on mythology and an umbrella that looks like a sword for someone I know who loves mythology and ancient swords, but I don't want credit for it. There are no ulterior motives for me. But, I nonetheless canceled the purchase because of the chance that the recipient would find it creepy.. If I didn't gift it anonymously, then it feels like there is, or appears to be, a double-motive, which cheapens the gift. It kills the spirit in which I mean to send it. All I want to do is make the recipient smile and enjoy the gifts, not worry about whether she has to respond in kind. A random act of kindness. I won't risk creeping anyone out, so no more anonymous random acts of kindness.

Is this what we've been reduced to through all of our technological"progress," alienation from one another?Anyway, I am so disappointed and disillusioned It's just sad.

Does anyone else find it strange that someone joins this morning and their first two posts are on a months-old thread? Hmm....

I hate this. It's a sign of the times. People are cynical. They watch too much television and true crime bios. I think it is sad that so many are cynical because there are people out there who genuinely don't want any credit for making someone else smile. There is even a movement, Random Acts of Kindness, who advocates anonymous gifting, including leaving a bouquet of flowers on your neighbor's door (see www.helpothers.org/ideas.php).

I found this thread, and many other similtar message board threads, on this topic and the majority of people seem to say it's creepy. So, no random act of kindess from me. I was set to buy a book on mythology and an umbrella that looks like a sword for someone I know who loves mythology and ancient swords, but I don't want credit for it. There are no ulterior motives for me. But, I nonetheless canceled the purchase because of the chance that the recipient would find it creepy.. If I didn't gift it anonymously, then it feels like there is, or appears to be, a double-motive, which cheapens the gift. It kills the spirit in which I mean to send it. All I want to do is make the recipient smile and enjoy the gifts, not worry about whether she has to respond in kind. A random act of kindness. I won't risk creeping anyone out, so no more anonymous random acts of kindness.

Is this what we've been reduced to through all of our technological"progress," alienation from one another?Anyway, I am so disappointed and disillusioned It's just sad.

You obviously don't live in my area (and mine isn't near the worst in this country). We have had strange people knock on our door (that we ignored) and later found out a man was knocking on doors and then trying to force his way in people's houses. I would feel uncomfortable about anything left outside my door without a note. Even with a note I wouldn't eat anonymously left food. It has nothing do with with watching too much television. For many neighborhoods random murders and assaults are common.

Does anyone else find it strange that someone joins this morning and their first two posts are on a months-old thread? Hmm....

It's actually pretty easy to do if you're searching threads and aren't familiar with a board. The "similar threads" listing on the old boards made it even easier, but it's still not hard to do. I have to be careful when I'm researching things and come across a particularly passionate thread on a topic from years ago. So far I've always caught myself before throwing my two cents in on a conversation that has been dead for years. :lol:

Now I'm wondering if the OP ever found out any details about the gift. Update?