Menu

Being honest, JAWM post, please & thank you

Bang!Zoom!

Just had one of those days out in public with the kid where she was instructing other adults on how best to do their job with more efficiency.

Gawh. :glare:

"Honey, be quiet please."

"But Mom.."

Been there, done that anyone? Can I get an Amen anywhere out there?

I am never going into Kinko's with her again. Ever.

You're getting the Amen here! We used to make a game of it. The kids had to be quiet in public, then when we got out of earshot we would talk about how we would improve the situation. One day 5 year old ds says "Mom, sometimes it seems like I might be as smart as some adults" I had a hard time keeping a straight face, and just answered that I was sure he was smarter than the ones we had seen.:)

If anyone finds a source for the filter that goes between brain and mouth, let me know!

Whoever invents that will be an instant millionaire.

DD5's Sunday School teacher reported this week, "Felt like she was the teacher and I was the student today!" :blushing:

I confess I've had this problem myself. I have to bite my tongue sometimes not to correct others' spelling, etc. In high school my world history teacher kept talking about the Thames River in London, pronouncing it phonetically. I couldn't take it anymore and finally corrected her. I figured I owed it to my classmates! She didn't much like me anyway, so wth...

I corrected a university lecturers grammar once. He was always a bit nervous around me after that but he took it really well.

That's a good response!

We haven't had this, oddly enough. I think it's b/c Button is so sensitive -- he's processing a lot -- and it doesn't occur to him to comment.

reminds me of the time dan quayle "corrected" a child's spelling of potato, correcting it to potatoe.

but it also useful to remember that memorizing conventional usage is not the same as intelligence. in spelling e.g., one might recall that shakespeare himself never spelled his own name the same more than twice, and never even once spelled it in the way we do today. indeed the oxford english source prefers the spelling shakspere, the only version he wrote twice.

Edited by mathwonk