Menu

Trying to adjust to our new schedules

Well it is official we are not a homeschooling family at this moment in our lives. My little guy started public school about 3 weeks ago. He loves all of it but the homework part. ;) But I knew that was going to be a bit of a change there.

I am finding I am the one who is having a harder time to adjust to all this. I keep looking at the work he brings home and think what is the point? What are they trying to teach here. Or there is a way better way of doing that without all this darn busy work. :D I knew it all was not going to be easy at all. I dreaded making the decision to send him to public school, but honestly mom burnt out and I just could not keep going right now. I put myself on system overload for a long time now and well it all came to a head about a month ago and we decided as a family that pulling the homeschooling for right now was best.

Now I still find myself searching out programs and looking through our books. I guess once a curriculum junkie always one.:D Right now I am having the hardest time with all these ebooks I bought for this year that have not even been opened and going to waste. I cannot even give them away which just feels like such a waste. I have tons of stuff I bought this year and cannot seem to press delete even though it won't be used at all. I really wish there was some way you could just give them to someone so I did not feel it was all wasted. I went through all our books the other day, I thought about selling them but then decided I will just box them up and give them away to someone.

Finding stuff to do with all my free time now seems to be overwhelming also. I have so much time on my hands that I went and got a job thinking it would keep me busy. Well that did not work out so great. I do have a job, but it is one that I seem to have way more time on my hands just not at my house now to do the stuff that needs to be done. How do you go from your whole days and nights being over flowing full to almost empty? I feel like I am doing nothing, but really I am. When we were hsling cleaning the house was an all day thing throughout the day. Now it is done in 30 min and I am left thinking what now?:001_huh: I guess it is time for a hobby of some sort, just not sure what.

Anyways just wanted to have someone(s) to talk to, seems I am alone a lot now and have not talked much at all. I am going crazy. Well I think I have always been crazy the difference is I have so much time on my hands now that I have finally noticed it.:D

I am finding I am the one who is having a harder time to adjust to all this. I keep looking at the work he brings home and think what is the point? What are they trying to teach here. Or there is a way better way of doing that without all this darn busy work. :D I knew it all was not going to be easy at all. I dreaded making the decision to send him to public school, but honestly mom burnt out and I just could not keep going right now. I put myself on system overload for a long time now and well it all came to a head about a month ago and we decided as a family that pulling the homeschooling for right now was best.

Now I still find myself searching out programs and looking through our books. I guess once a curriculum junkie always one.:D Right now I am having the hardest time with all these ebooks I bought for this year that have not even been opened and going to waste. I cannot even give them away which just feels like such a waste. I have tons of stuff I bought this year and cannot seem to press delete even though it won't be used at all. I really wish there was some way you could just give them to someone so I did not feel it was all wasted. I went through all our books the other day, I thought about selling them but then decided I will just box them up and give them away to someone.

Finding stuff to do with all my free time now seems to be overwhelming also. I have so much time on my hands that I went and got a job thinking it would keep me busy. Well that did not work out so great. I do have a job, but it is one that I seem to have way more time on my hands just not at my house now to do the stuff that needs to be done. How do you go from your whole days and nights being over flowing full to almost empty? I feel like I am doing nothing, but really I am. When we were hsling cleaning the house was an all day thing throughout the day. Now it is done in 30 min and I am left thinking what now?:001_huh: I guess it is time for a hobby of some sort, just not sure what.

Anyways just wanted to have someone(s) to talk to, seems I am alone a lot now and have not talked much at all. I am going crazy. Well I think I have always been crazy the difference is I have so much time on my hands now that I have finally noticed it.:D

:grouphug: I am right there with you. We'd planned to send my older dds to high school, but didn't expect that the younger one would also end up going to ps (also about 3 weeks ago), so I didn't have any time to prepare my mind or plan what I would do with all this time. I have been telling myself I'm deschooling :tongue_smilie:, and haven't been that productive. I've spent far too much time here (yes, perusing homeschooling boards) and even more shamefully, playing solitaire. :blushing:

I'm impressed you got a job already - what are you doing?

I do have plans, just haven't implemented many yet. I have started exercising again, so that's one hour filled... I have lots of books I want to read, but somehow I'm actually reading less with all this empty time than I did when I got to read while waiting for them at some activity... I should get the house in order, but I think it's actually sliding in the other direction (though I did empty the mystery clean clothes baskets that have been at the end of my bed for we shall not say how long... I would also like to get a job, but I don't want to get any job, I'd like to find something (or maybe more than one something) that could be fulfilling, or at least interesting. I've got lots of ideas - some need me to get some kind of certification, but I want to do more research about which would be the best route. While they're still in school, I also don't want to be working when they're home (after 2pm and on weekends and summers) so I'm thinking for the shorter term maybe something at a school? I'm thinking of signing up as a substitute to get to know the ins and outs and what the possibilities are. But I haven't done that yet either.

I also would really like to connect with my old homeschooling friends who have also sent their kids off to school, both because I miss my friends and I need to see people, and because I'd like to know what the heck other people do with all this time! I need structure and a routine. Otherwise I just waste time...

I'm down to only one at home, but he's gotten more independent so I've been watching movies. Up today is The Incredible Mr. Limpet with Don Knotts. I should probably do some house cleaning as well, but that's not always a top priority anymore. I'm not sure why. When I do clean, it never takes me long, especially because I don't have to do the whole house in the same day.

I'm impressed you already have a job! My kids were in school for about 6 weeks last year. I have never been so unproductive and bored in my whole life. It was strange - I honestly couldn't figure out what to do. I read a lot of books, but even going to the grocery store seemed wrong somehow. Really, who goes to the grocery store at 10:00 am with no children??? ;)

The situation at school ended up bringing my kids home and it was amazing how quickly I felt like a real person again. It's nice though - even when the kids are making me psycho, I really don't ever want to do that again. (So, yes, part of my reason for homeschooling is completely selfish - but that's only one part!!!)