Menu

Senses SOS! Can you give me a bitter liquid?

frugalmama

Even though this activity is included in a LOT of science curricula, the idea that there's a map of different taste buds on your tongue has been pretty much debunked. Here's one article on it. Just in case you didn't know.

Aw, I was just going to say that. How about coffee or cranberries? Some greens too like kale or broccoli.

I like the unsweetened chocolate idea. Maybe you could try mixing cocoa powder with milk to get it in a liquid form. Neither chocolate nor cocoa powder will mix well with water.

We put it in the microwave to heat it up....now that I think about it, we just shaved some unsweetened chocolate off of a baking bar and nuked it. No water added.

My girls really liked this experiment. We used lemon for sour, unsweetened chocolate for bitter, salt solution for salty, and sugar solution for sweet.

I've never heard that this was debunked science. Off to read the article...

I didn't know you could still earn try its. It's pretty much Girl Guides and Journeys now isn't it? That's the case in our area anyway. Those badges can't be purchased at at the GS store. Unless you have a super secret source... In which case... Care to share? Lol

:D Since we're not part of a troop, we can do what we want :D. Technically it's all Girl Guides and Journeys now, but there is a GSUSA policy that ANY discontinued patch may still be earned by the AGE level it was first intended for. They don't like it, but they can't do anything against it either. And it was dd's choice to double patch with both new and old programs - we do 2-3 try-its a week so the new program wouldn't have lasted us long at all. As it is I'm going to have to start finding council's own try-its to keep us busy since dd will be doing 3 years of brownies to allow her to catch up age-wise.

As for buying them...I've been scouring council shops nationwide for months for everything from Brownie up. I'm down to just needing a handful to have ALL the outgoing patches for all levels. There is a FB group called Girl Scout Badge Swap, and I created a file in their files that has ALL the shops with the old patches still in their online shops.

I didn't know you could still earn try its. It's pretty much Girl Guides and Journeys now isn't it? That's the case in our area anyway. Those badges can't be purchased at at the GS store. Unless you have a super secret source... In which case... Care to share? Lol

Senses is one of the Try-Its that escaped the purge (though they're now called badges). It's one of thew few science badges left in the new Guide.

Senses is one of the Try-Its that escaped the purge (though they're now called badges). It's one of thew few science badges left in the new Guide.

Aha, thanks for that info. We did it years ago, and I posted how we did it on my blog. I wondered why that particular post kept getting hits, as I assumed all of the interesting badges (that is, the science badges) had bit the dust. FWIW, we didn't do the tongue map.

I thought most of the try-its were a little lame, but I loved the Junior science badges. I'm so glad both my girls made it through Juniors before those got tossed.

:D Since we're not part of a troop, we can do what we want :D. Technically it's all Girl Guides and Journeys now, but there is a GSUSA policy that ANY discontinued patch may still be earned by the AGE level it was first intended for. They don't like it, but they can't do anything against it either. And it was dd's choice to double patch with both new and old programs - we do 2-3 try-its a week so the new program wouldn't have lasted us long at all. As it is I'm going to have to start finding council's own try-its to keep us busy since dd will be doing 3 years of brownies to allow her to catch up age-wise.

As for buying them...I've been scouring council shops nationwide for months for everything from Brownie up. I'm down to just needing a handful to have ALL the outgoing patches for all levels. There is a FB group called Girl Scout Badge Swap, and I created a file in their files that has ALL the shops with the old patches still in their online shops.

Lol. I'd like to tell council where they can put a badge sometimes... I sat through the dullest training this weekend so I can take brownies camping... But they can only go in a cabin that has a kitchen... We can have a fire but only for ceremonial purposes... Sheesh. Why don't I just take them to a five star resort...neither is really camping.

Enjoy your try its!

Lol. I'd like to tell council where they can put a badge sometimes... I sat through the dullest training this weekend so I can take brownies camping... But they can only go in a cabin that has a kitchen... We can have a fire but only for ceremonial purposes... Sheesh. Why don't I just take them to a five star resort...neither is really camping.

Enjoy your try its!

Back in the day, you couldn't even take Brownies camping AT ALL. Or maybe that varies by Council.