Menu

She was "asked to leave" her private school this week...

Twinmom

Hmmph. Ultimately her own fault, but still...hmmphh.

Note to self: anyone who directly quotes from "The Strong-Willed Child" while discussing the behavior of your learning disabled child with a panic disorder and mild brain injury probably doesn't understand the situation. Great book, lots of truths therein...but must use different tactics to achieve a similar goal with a child with disabilities. That is all.

Ah, well. Back to homeschooling four kids with competing disabilities for the near future. Warning to all...I may soon become very stressed out, gain tons of weight, get out of shape and become very grumpy once again.

Hmmphh. Waiting for God to provide the light at the end of the tunnel here, since I know this is ultimately for her good and mine. Still, for the moment...hmmphh.

Anyone who directly quotes "The Strongwilled Child" isn't a good fit for ANY kid with special needs. Unfortunately, private schools can be even harder to deal with than public ones, and Christian schools-which I'm guessing this was if they're quoting Dobson, are often the worst at understanding that kids with invisible disabilities aren't just badly behaved.

:grouphug:

I hope you find what works for you.

Anyone who directly quotes "The Strongwilled Child" isn't a good fit for ANY kid with special needs. Unfortunately, private schools can be even harder to deal with than public ones, and Christian schools-which I'm guessing this was if they're quoting Dobson, are often the worst at understanding that kids with invisible disabilities aren't just badly behaved.

I hope you find what works for you.

You put into words what I have been trying to tell myself all weekend. Thanks! Hard to remember when faced with principal you believe means so well. I will keep telling myself this...

If you lived closer to me, we could start a women who stress and gain weight and need to exercise by lifting their cups to drink club. Hot chocolate of course. :D

Sorry it's going so rough. Maybe there's someone you can hang out with so you can have some time to yourself? I've decided I need to look on Craigslist for some kind of exercise equipment to tone me up a bit. Might be something to exercise those teen surges too.

:iagree: TSWM is a great book. Just as some people quote the Bible to manipulate it, so could they quote this book. I have read the book, and

been to classes using Dr. Dobson parenting curriculum.

We had a preacher leading the group and I enjoyed the class except for his haughty behavior.

We have 8 children and I am home alone long hours. Dh is the youngest of 11, and has CAD, works long hours, and does not discipline alot when he is available.

A preacher who has a home office and little responsibility, can help alot more with the discipline or any needs in the home school.

Comparing ourselves to others is not good either.

We really did not get kicked out, but did leave the church for awhile. Thankfully we tried 2 others and now are back at the church we were married in. The new part time preacher loves our children! He sees them as God's children and has been awesome: Not perfect: but awesome!

I have my mom to harp on me and tell me all about my special son's faults. He has not been diagnosed, so she has no empathy and judges him so much.

He would get kicked out of any school!

I love him and have a hard time putting up with his behavior and try to discipline him. I just have a hard time doing it effectively and he has run away several times. ( Thank God it is only into the corn or bean field and not too far) but still, it drives me crazy!!!!!

Hot chocolate sound so good!!!

I just bought my BAM card to get free wifi and plan on making a few "me" trips to watch some funny youtube videos and download ones we can use for home schooling and laughs. Our teens like to go there and read expensive books or books I won't buy for them anyway.

Bubble baths help me too!

I hope you demand some "me" time to get rest, perspective, or just a nap!

When a massive panic attack in a brain injured child masquerades as defiance (think, "I'm terrified so I'm trying to scare everyone away!!), it most certainly does not! :glare: However, I agree...for the neurotypical, defiant child, it's a good book!

It is SO hard to explain those pesky, invisible special needs to the uninitiated. It really hurts my heart to see her so misunderstood. It also blows my mind that after three years of absolutely NO disciplinary action (not even a warning slip), she can have a panic attack and it is all over. It's not like we didn't give them all available information on her special needs, over and over again. Don't think they believed us, since the panic attacks haven't manifested until now. The LDs did, but not the panic...

I'm trying to forgive here, but it may take a while. I am hurt for her and for me.

If you lived closer to me, we could start a women who stress and gain weight and need to exercise by lifting their cups to drink club. Hot chocolate of course. :D

I'd join!

I will say that I am poor - but there is no way you will get me to give up my Anytime Fitness membership. I put the littles in bed, leave the teen in charge and go run away for an hour.

Especially important now that I am a full-time student and have my middle schooler back home.

Guess I just answered my own question - yes, I am going to the gym tonight :tongue_smilie:

DS attended a private Christian school from pre-k to 6th grade. This particular school is affiliated with our church, and we actually gave money over a 5 year period to our church so that a new school facility could be built. Close personal friends teach at this place and serve on the school board. We are tied up in that place.

Last year, my son maintained a 93.45% GPA. Each year, DH and I sat down with faculty to work out accommodations, which were minimal and no cost to them. Most of the teachers have been out of the ps so long that they are no longer certified to teach. Some teacers were never certified by the State to teach or hold an appropriate childhood development degree  There is little if any in service teacher training.

I have spoken with an adult dyslexic friend, and we have concluded that many private schools shoot for the high to upper middle NT student. She teaches advanced math in the ps system and refuses to teach at her local denomination's school.  Private school's are not held to Wrights Law. Teachers are human and have little to no desire to accommodate unless compelled to. The school itself can hardly afford to pay good teachers a decent salary while making private tuition affordable to the demanding parent.

For 7th grade, DS has come home. DS was a good student, but I grew tired of their attitude towards accommodations.  We were exhausted with homework and bad teaching. It wasn't all bad...Bible and music were excellent while math and science were the pits.

Trust me when I say this: your child needs to be home with you. You are going to look back on this situation and thank the Lord that this happened. The school is not prepared to handle your child's needs and with the school's attitude, you don't want them to.

You go girl! Went for a nice walk tonight too. An anytime gym, now there's an idea! :)

You get this little do-hickey to put on your key chain and buzz yourself in. I've only been there once alone (honestly - it was 15 minutes of pure bliss!!), normally there are a few die-hard free weight guys there.

They have radio buttons you can wear that will dial 911 if pushed, there is video surveillance, you can go to any of their facilities (so in my next life, when I travel... i can still work out :lol:). The one "around the corner from my house" is opening soon - I can't wait! Except, I think it will be busier - only time will tell.

Their is a local gym that has 24 hour access too for an extra charge - I have no idea what type of security they have in place for it.

Now if only my foot injury would heal so I could start running Couch to 5k again.... sigh. At least I was able to ride the bike Saturday night without crying (yup, that was my hot "single mom Saturday night out" - the gym! LOL!)