Menu

Another update on my dad.

Since Sunday is my full day to spend with dad, I guess Mondays are my day to update the Hive about him. :D

Dad's still improving, slowly but surely. Much more slowly than he'd like of course; he's really, REALLY wanting to go home. But that won't be for some time yet.

He's still having some trouble with his trach. Uncomfortable sensations of suffocating when he lays down. He had a bronchoscopy a few days ago, and the pulmonologist found nothing to worry about structurally. However, dad has a lot of 'secretions'; basically phlegm. He now has THREE different strains of antibiotic resistant, hospital acquired infection in his lungs. This is causing a lot of phlegm, as well as, oh good grief, what did the pulmonologist call it; bronchial somethingoranother; some sort of pneumonia like condition. They are treating him with heavy duty antibiotics. The frustration is that they cannot move dad to a smaller size trach (which is the next step in getting him OFF the trach) until his secrections are less/thinner. Because, well, dad coughs up the secretions THROUGH the trach; a smaller size tube would be a bad idea for that.

But his cough is improving. He has two more days left on the course of antibiotics he's on now, and then he'll be evaluated again by the pulmonologist to see where to go. This is going to be a long road, getting dad off the trach. So we are praying for patience, healing, and good direction from the pulmonology team as well as dad's respitory therapists. Dad is oxygenating well, which is truly a miracle. All his respitory people still tell us how amazed they are at the fact that dad's, well, even still alive, let alone how well he's doing. It's given me many opportunities to share my faith in the healing power of the Lord. So many sweet moments of testimony with people. Such a blessing.

Dad's heart continues to improve. His blood pressure is good. He's progressing every day with his physical therapy. He's still on a feeding tube; will be until he can progress to the kind of trach that allows him to eat. Dad misses food, understandably.

He's still on dialysis three times a week. He didn't have kidney problems before the heart attack, but the stress on his body has caused his kidneys to shut down. We still don't know if/when they will recover. He is making *some* urine, which the nephrology team tells me is a good sign. But there's just no way to know if he will ever recover kidney function, or if he'll require dialysis indefinitely. Either way is not really a 'big' deal, considering.

His bedsore is awful, really. It hurts him so much. He will have to have it surgically debrided here soon. He is on a pain patch as well morphine. I hate that dad's in so much pain. So continued prayer for healing for that is needed.

Dad's personality has changed through all this. Today marks day 57 in the cardiac ICU. Dad shared with me and mom that he's scared to go to sleep. His anxiety is through the roof. While this is understandable, given his situation, it grieves me for my daddy. Dad was always my strong man; my rock, you know? he's DAD. Now, whenever I'm there with him, if he doesn't need anything (move around, change position, get his suction for him, etc.), and he's just resting for a few moments, he wants me sitting right next to his bed. Then he holds out his hand; he likes to just lay there for a few moments, resting with his eyes closed, holding my hand. You must understand; I've always known my dad loved me. But he's never been the demonstrative, huggy-kissy type. So it's bittersweet to get to/have to hold dad's hand to help him feel 'safe'.

Dad will be moving OUT of the ICU into a near by hospital for his intensive physical therapy stage of recovery just as soon as a private room opens up in that department. They can't put dad in with other patients because of the infections he has. Mom and I checked the place out on Wednesday, and it's perfect for the next step of dad's recovery.

Oh, one more thing (this is getting long! :D). I have learned so, so much about helping to care for dad. It has really cemented my dream of getting my nursing license when my boys are in college. It is all so interesting to me. I love when the nurses show me how to do something new for dad, so that I can do it myself when I'm there instead of having to get a nurse. Dad likes it, too. Such a blessing to get to serve my dad in this way. He always seems so happy to see me. He is very proud and happy of how involved I am in his care; I ask questions of the doctors and nurses to make sure I understand and am on top of what's going on with him. I want to be a good advocate for dad; and the staff is always great about making sure me and mom feel informed. Dad really likes that.

Edited by bethanyniez

My Mom had a critical illness 5 years ago and spent about 3 weeks in the ICU, another 5 in the hospital, and then 3 months in rehab. She is doing so well now, but the anxiety is very, very real. Part of it was the sleep deprivation ICU patients suffer, which causes them to literally "come undone" and become delirious. Part of it is the overall sense of danger that comes from being so sick-it feeds severe anxiety. Mom had anxiety about dental work, for example, because she felt very panicky about lying back in the chair.

It's so terrible for a person so go through that kind of vulnerability, but he is still your Dad. He will be better when he's recovered. ((hugs))

My Mom had a critical illness 5 years ago and spent about 3 weeks in the ICU, another 5 in the hospital, and then 3 months in rehab. She is doing so well now, but the anxiety is very, very real. Part of it was the sleep deprivation ICU patients suffer, which causes them to literally "come undone" and become delirious. Part of it is the overall sense of danger that comes from being so sick-it feeds severe anxiety. Mom had anxiety about dental work, for example, because she felt very panicky about lying back in the chair.

It's so terrible for a person so go through that kind of vulnerability, but he is still your Dad. He will be better when he's recovered. ((hugs))

Thank you. I know you're right; mom and I spoke to the pulmonologist about dad's anxiety yesterday. He said 'Well who WOULDN'T be anxious in this sitiuation, you know?!'. And he's right. I understand. And they're giving dad Xanax as needed to help him cope. He's also getting Ambien to try and help him sleep, which is good.

Yes, it's very much a combination of being so sick and vulnerable, along with the lack of sleep. But at least dad's being open with mom and I about it; that's good. He did tell us he's scared to sleep yesterday; while that makes me sad, I told dad I was glad he was honest with me about it, so that mom and I could help him via the doctors/medication.

Thank you for your words about him being 'dad' again when he's recovered. Sometimes, it's hard to see past the here and now to down the road. :001_smile: