Menu

How full should I fill a washing machine?

I am not a parent, but instead a new college student. I hope it is still OK to post here. While searching for an answer to my question, I found this: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=60818

It seems to suggest a front loader can be filled pretty full. After filling a washer one day (really late at night), I was pretty sure I overloaded it. After it finished washing I took a picture to be able to ask the question on the internet. When I asked on Yahoo answers, I got a couple of nonconstructive answers. These answers seemed to confirm it was overfilled, but offered no further advice.

Here is the picture:

http://sdrv.ms/TRlk9H

I guess mine is probably that full when it is dry, and looks a little less full than that when it is wet. I don't fill it until I have to stuff the clothes in, if that helps? If it's a very full load, or if it has a lot of jeans or towels, I find that it cleans better if I put it on the "bulky" setting.

:iagree: Maybe he figures we're a whole lot of Mom's here. And it's 1am?

my point was hes at college- he should be able to figure out a washing machine and surely he can ask someone before hes standing at the washing machine. Sorry if it sounded snarky, i just think its weird? :001_huh:

out of all the sites on google why would you ask on a Homeschool/Parent site about your washing machine? ASK YOUR MOM!

Sorry I bothered you all with this question. I just found the most relevant answer on this site, so I figured it would be a good place to ask. I won't continue to bother you all with my stupidity. I really do apologize.

Sorry I bothered you all with this question. I just found the most relevant answer on this site, so I figured it would be a good place to ask. I won't continue to bother you all with my stupidity. I really do apologize.

no im sorry. Its hard for tone and it did sound snarky. :grouphug:

Patrick,

Your load is fine for a front-loaded machine. If there is enough room for you to put another towel or 2 in at the top, it's not overloaded. You want a small amount of space at the top of the load. When the water fills, everything will still be able to agitate around and get cleaned.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I'm really happy that there are those who will help me even though I shouldn't be here.

Edit:

@dansamy

Thank you for giving me a guideline. This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you for replying and helping me.

Edited by Patrick

:( I am sorry. Maybe one day youll have your children and since you were here youll homeschool them since seeing this site.

At some point, I hope to find a nice wife and have some children. Thank you for being kind. I will certainly consider homeschooling if it does come to pass.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I'm really happy that there are those who will help me even though I shouldn't be here.

Edit:

@dansamy

Thank you for giving me a guideline. This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you for replying and helping me.

NP, Patrick. I have sons that I am trying to teach to be independent, resourceful young men. You came here, and while not of the targeted demographic of this site, posted a legitimate question in an appropriate section and in a polite tone. Kudos! Bulletin boards are about forming a community. (Although I doubt there's a BB out there about laundry, it wouldn't surprise me!) we should all remember to be polite and and respectful to other posters.

NP, Patrick. I have sons that I am trying to teach to be independent, resourceful young men. You came here, and while not of the targeted demographic of this site, posted a legitimate question in an appropriate section and in a polite tone. Kudos! Bulletin boards are about forming a community. (Although I doubt there's a BB out there about laundry, it wouldn't surprise me!) we should all remember to be polite and and respectful to other posters.

:iagree:

And, we have young adults, who aren't married, and don't have children who post on this site too (although most of the ones I've seen are self-educating on the high school board, I have seen one or two on the general board). At the very least, you'll learn a lot about the world of education...not politics so much ;)

:iagree: I can so see my son doing this at college instead of calling home.

Patrick, I hope your laundry got clean. Front loaders can be tricky, they can hold more sometimes, but they can also get unbalanced pretty easily. Too many towels or jeans is usually the culprit.

If anything, you have created an opportunity for someone. I can see how a 24 mom service forum would be helpful. Seriously. I remember my husband calling his mom a few times to ask how to cook something, like how to successfully hard boil eggs, mainly because I messed them up.

As a side note, we just had our front loader repaired and I was told not to fill the soap up to the line in the cap. You only need about a teaspoon. Ours was so clogged with detergent because I was using too much.....and all I did was follow the instructions on the detergent!

As a side note, we just had our front loader repaired and I was told not to fill the soap up to the line in the cap. You only need about a teaspoon. Ours was so clogged with detergent because I was using too much.....and all I did was follow the instructions on the detergent!

We were also told to use much less than the detergent bottle indicates. We've also had repairmen from two different companies tell us a front loader should not be loaded more than half full.

We were also told to use much less than the detergent bottle indicates. We've also had repairmen from two different companies tell us a front loader should not be loaded more than half full.

.... give different weights for different programmes. For the quick programmes, the weight limit is 2.5kg. For the longer programmes it is 5kg. I think that this is not to do with breaking the machine, but rather that the longer programmes can get more clothes clean. And yes, I use about a teaspoon of powder per load in mine.

Laura

Ok, I have to ask... which college? ;)

Glad your question was answered. My middle son is a freshman at a college with front loading washers this year. I couldn't teach him how to load those as we don't have one here at home. I've only used them at laundromats to wash our sleeping bags - and that's not often.

I told him to look for directions or ask someone there. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he checked the net too. Kudos for using your resources!

Ok, I have to ask... which college? ;)

Glad your question was answered. My middle son is a freshman at a college with front loading washers this year. I couldn't teach him how to load those as we don't have one here at home. I've only used them at laundromats to wash our sleeping bags - and that's not often.

I told him to look for directions or ask someone there. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he checked the net too. Kudos for using your resources!

I am attending the University of Texas at Austin.

We've never had a front loader, either. Unfortunately, the only directions I was given by either my mother or the posted sign was "Don't overfill the washing machine." As a Computer Science major, the internet is my first source for almost all information.

We've never had a front loader, either. Unfortunately, the only directions I was given by either my mother or the posted sign was "Don't overfill the washing machine." As a Computer Science major, the internet is my first source for almost all information.

Glad you found us. Sorry for the rough start.

Welcome to the Hive. computerwaving.gif

Half full? Wow, washing clothes will take considerably longer if I follow that restriction. I already occasionally have to wait around for half an hour to even get an open machine. I guess I'll try to follow it, though, to get clean clothes. Thank you for posting.

Good school! Enjoy your time there!

We've never had a front loader, either. Unfortunately, the only directions I was given by either my mother or the posted sign was "Don't overfill the washing machine."

Well, that sign was "helpful" (sarcasm definitely intended). Silly me for thinking my guy should check out a sign for his info (or maybe his was better - I didn't ask).

As a Computer Science major, the internet is my first source for almost all information.

I'm not a CS major, but I've learned to check the net for the most current info too. I do believe it's the new normal for most of us. Forums are a great place to glean from. This particular forum has a huge sea of knowledge - and now I know how to fill a front end loader (esp to use less detergent). Someday that info could come in handy.

Half full? Wow, washing clothes will take considerably longer if I follow that restriction. I already occasionally have to wait around for half an hour to even get an open machine. I guess I'll try to follow it, though, to get clean clothes. Thank you for posting.

If these are commercial grade washing machines I wouldn't worry about the half full rule.

.... give different weights for different programmes. For the quick programmes, the weight limit is 2.5kg. For the longer programmes it is 5kg. I think that this is not to do with breaking the machine, but rather that the longer programmes can get more clothes clean. And yes, I use about a teaspoon of powder per load in mine.

Laura

Yes, it had to do with achieving proper agitation for cleanliness. We go a little over half full, but don't stuff the washer. The salesman for our first front loader said we could pack it to the top. :glare:

If these are commercial grade washing machines I wouldn't worry about the half full rule.

Thank you. I guess I'll shoot for about 3/4, then. Does this sound about right?

Good school! Enjoy your time there!

Well, that sign was "helpful" (sarcasm definitely intended). Silly me for thinking my guy should check out a sign for his info (or maybe his was better - I didn't ask).

I'm not a CS major, but I've learned to check the net for the most current info too. I do believe it's the new normal for most of us. Forums are a great place to glean from. This particular forum has a huge sea of knowledge - and now I know how to fill a front end loader (esp to use less detergent). Someday that info could come in handy.

It does seem to be a great school. I am more than happy to be here.

The internet is a great resource. Even having had it all my life, I am still astounded by the quality and quantity of information on the internet.

Patrick, I looked at your photo. If those are dry, loosely packed clothes, I think it is fine. It would be fine in my machine. If they are wet, or really squished down tight, it might be too many.

They were wet, so I am pretty sure that means there were too many. I thought that might be the case when I was adding them. It was late, and I had to be in class in a little less than 8 hours (washing and drying clothes takes at least an hour and a half), so I just threw what I had in. Thank you everyone for guiding me and helping me avoid the same mistake in the future.

If anything, you have created an opportunity for someone. I can see how a 24 mom service forum would be helpful. Seriously. I remember my husband calling his mom a few times to ask how to cook something, like how to successfully hard boil eggs, mainly because I messed them up.

Elegantlion, (Paula) what a great Idea!!!!

Elegantlion, (Paula) what a great Idea!!!!

That does sound like a pretty cool forum. If ever one is created (or if one currently exists), I'd love to know about it.

My dd (daughter) has a front loader and that is about how much she puts in hers for a load. Maybe a little less for towels or denim. By the way, I think that was an incredibly creative way to find an answer to your problem. Who would know more than a board full of SAHMs. Cudos to you. More than one of my children have broken my top loader by putting approximately two loads in at a time. Better to ask than have to buy a new washer. And personally, IMO anyone who is here to learn belongs here.

Cutest. Thread. Ever.

:D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can just see my DH posting a question on a board like this when he was in college (CS major as well).

Patrick - we have front loaders here and they usually have a weight limit on them for full loads (e.g., 5kg dry clothes). If yours don't, fill them like previous posters have recommended. I go for about 3/4 full, 1/2 if it's a short program.

Enjoy UT! Hook 'em horns!

Oh, come bother us again. If you look through the other posts here, you will find that we sometimes seem to need a little diversion.:lol: You did nothing wrong. Just to toss my 2 cents in, since the clothes are wet, I vote too full. That is what I aim for with dry clothes. :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can just see my DH posting a question on a board like this when he was in college (CS major as well).

Patrick - we have front loaders here and they usually have a weight limit on them for full loads (e.g., 5kg dry clothes). If yours don't, fill them like previous posters have recommended. I go for about 3/4 full, 1/2 if it's a short program.

Enjoy UT! Hook 'em horns!

I haven't seen a weight limit anywhere, but I may look around a bit more. The bigger problem with this solution is that I have no clue how much 5kg is in laundry.

3/4 full seems to be about what I am hearing from most people. I'll just shoot for that and hope for the best. Thank you.

UT is great. There aren't many places I'd rather be. I would have been happier if we could have beaten Oklahoma last weekend in football, though.

Oh, come bother us again. If you look through the other posts here, you will find that we sometimes seem to need a little diversion.:lol: You did nothing wrong. Just to toss my 2 cents in, since the clothes are wet, I vote too full. That is what I aim for with dry clothes. :D

I am certainly getting a sense that I overstuffed it. Thank you for the feedback and the warm welcome.