Menu

ACK! My 2yo just bought something with the Kindle

You can set a parental control password that would require you to put in a password to buy anything and leave the one-click on.

THIS!!! I WANT THIS!!!

My daughter downloaded a free app - Shopaholic something or other - and embedded in the app is a way to "buy" accessories and what not to the tune of $9.99 (real money) for 25,000 gold coins. So, he was sitting in my lap clicking away - different hair colors, different nails....and WHAM I see it saying something about "completing your order" - ACK! and then very quickly while I am trying to yank it away from him he buys some sort of whacked out hairdo. Which, when I hand the thing to my daughter while telling her about it, she has the nerve to say: "Oh, man, I didn't even like that hairdo":glare:

:lol:

I don't think Amazon will give me my money back.

THIS!!! I WANT THIS!!!

My daughter downloaded a free app - Shopaholic something or other - and embedded in the app is a way to "buy" accessories and what not to the tune of $9.99 (real money) for 25,000 gold coins. So, he was sitting in my lap clicking away - different hair colors, different nails....and WHAM I see it saying something about "completing your order" - ACK! and then very quickly while I am trying to yank it away from him he buys some sort of whacked out hairdo. Which, when I hand the thing to my daughter while telling her about it, she has the nerve to say: "Oh, man, I didn't even like that hairdo":glare:

I really think that this type of thing is a crime. I have heard so many stories of children unknowingly spending $$$$. Including one story of a daughter spending several thousand dollars on pet food for a game critter. She thought it was play money and had no idea that it was real money.

The companies that give out these "free" apps have really worked out a way to fleece money from unsuspecting people.

You can get it refunded too. I'm on my phone right now and can't remember the exact process, but I did it once and they refunded promptly

Yes, it's pretty easy to get it refunded. We've bought books by accident, and immediately after purchase on the confirmation screen there's a link to click if you purchased by accident. I'm assuming you've already missed that, and I think you can return/get a refund for kindle books for a week after you've purchased.

I really think that this type of thing is a crime. I have heard so many stories of children unknowingly spending $$$$. Including one story of a daughter spending several thousand dollars on pet food for a game critter. She thought it was play money and had no idea that it was real money.

The companies that give out these "free" apps have really worked out a way to fleece money from unsuspecting people.

What kind of crime would it be?

There is also an app called Kid's Place that will only allow your child to play the apps you select. You have to put in a password to leave kids place. You just have to make sure to open the app before they play. My 3 yo knows to open it himself. I told him it is his special place to play. Works well so far!

DD (17 mos) has bought a book... I didn't notice for a few days, and then contacted Amazon. They refunded it and removed the book from my Kindle. They were not difficult about it at all.

I'll have to check into that password, too!

BTW, my Kindle is the one with ads, and I think that is how DD bought the book. She's also "requested" info on services, etc several times. Ack.

THIS!!! I WANT THIS!!!

This happened to my son a few weeks ago. Only he bought things that equaled about $30. I contacted Amazon, and they refunded it all and told me how to disable in app purchases.

Go to the Apps tab, go into the store. Click on the menu button and then on settings. There is an option to disable in app purchasing.

:iagree: I hate Amazon's "One Click" settings and I don't understand how it could possibly benefit the consumer. App creators are exploiting this and they and Amazon are benefiting.

A HUGE Thank You to all of you for helping me!!!!

I just received a Kindle update that includes parental controls. The update was listed as though it were a book. I have a Kindle Keyboard.

"Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read."

This link has all Kindles listed, with a description of their updates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

I just received a Kindle update that includes parental controls. The update was listed as though it were a book. I have a Kindle Keyboard.

"Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read."

Thank you!:001_smile:

Thank you! I didn't know they updated the Kindle!