Menu

Looking for memory work recs for my pre-K'er

three4me

We've been working on memorizing Bible verses and have about 10 so far. I'm getting a memory work binder put together and I would love if some of you could offer verse suggestions. I'm mostly looking for favorite Bible verses to memorize, but would also like to include some poems, hymns, etc. Anything you think might be good for us to work on. Thanks!

We've been working on memorizing Bible verses and have about 10 so far. I'm getting a memory work binder put together and I would love if some of you could offer verse suggestions. I'm mostly looking for favorite Bible verses to memorize, but would also like to include some poems, hymns, etc. Anything you think might be good for us to work on. Thanks!

For pre-K, I'd work on The Lord's Prayer as a memory verse. Psalm 1 is a favorite around here. Psalm 100 is short and fun and wonderful to recite for Thanksgiving. The Christmas story from Luke 2 is good during Advent (we've been working on that one for about three years now, someday we'll know it all).

The Doxology and/or Gloria Patri (whichever your church sings regularly) is a good first hymn. Holy, Holy, Holy. A Mighty Fortress. Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing. What hymns do you regularly sing at church? I started to pay attention to the songs our pastor chose. It's fun to learn All Glory, Laud, and Honor before Palm Sunday. Or Up From the Grave He Arose before Easter. Here's our list of hymns that we've learned over the years.

I remember the Hide 'em in Your Heart two-CD set collection (by Steve Green) was nice for pre school age to have bible verse memory work set to music. I can even remember one of my daughter's had a tap dance class that used the Fruit of the Spirit song on that CD collection. cute...

-crystal

It sounds like your child would enjoy AWANAs. Do you have a local group you could visit and see if you like?

Our church doesn't do it, but there are others around that do. I wasn't aware that they let kids from other churches join. Can you join mid-way through the year?

Our church doesn't do it, but there are others around that do. I wasn't aware that they let kids from other churches join. Can you join mid-way through the year?

Absolutely. Our church doesn't do it, but two local churches host it for anyone who wants to join. This week is bring-a-friend week at ours. You can join at any time. Kids are welcome to visit any week to see if it would be a good fit, though they do ask you to join after two visits. With Sparkies (K-2) you start with a pamphlet about Jesus and John 3:16. Once you have that memorized and signed off you start with the Hanglider book and the kids do it at their own pace.

Absolutely. Our church doesn't do it, but two local churches host it for anyone who wants to join. This week is bring-a-friend week at ours. You can join at any time. Kids are welcome to visit any week to see if it would be a good fit, though they do ask you to join after two visits. With Sparkies (K-2) you start with a pamphlet about Jesus and John 3:16. Once you have that memorized and signed off you start with the Hanglider book and the kids do it at their own pace.

Thanks! I talked to a friend and our kids are going to try it out tomorrow :)

For pre-K, I'd work on The Lord's Prayer as a memory verse. Psalm 1 is a favorite around here. Psalm 100 is short and fun and wonderful to recite for Thanksgiving. The Christmas story from Luke 2 is good during Advent (we've been working on that one for about three years now, someday we'll know it all).

I've been doing the A-Z memory verses from ABeka with my kindergartner--1 memory verse a week, with occasional 2 or 3-week breaks to learn a passage like the first 3 mentioned above, as well as John 3:16-17 and Psalm 23. (A--All have sinned, etc.) Would you like me to type up the list of references for you? (ABeka sells them in a little packet of cards, but the kids can't read anyway.) There's also a little "ABC Memory Book" by Scripture Memory Fellowship ISBN 1-880960-09-5 It's a similar idea, but with a little picture on the opposite page of the verse, with a tiny poem and devotional thought. We do this during "school-time." The rest of our memory work is spread out in other times of the day.

Before the kids go to bed, we have family devotions, just reading a children's Bible, prayer, memory verse of the month (that goes along with the character trait we're focusing on--Simply Charlotte Mason has a good list of character traits to focus on for little ones if you're interested), and doing a few questions from the Westminster shorter catechism for children (found on the internet).

We also do a hymn of the month as a family. We sing this before dinner as a family. I had read Noel Piper's book on Traditions, and wanted to make some specific "Meyers" family traditions that were God-honoring. At the same time, I was reading How Christianity Changed the World by Alvin Schmidt, and read about how the early church often sang a hymn together at dinnertime, as Jesus did after the Last Supper. We are missionaries, and I was concerned that our children wouldn't grow up singing many of the great hymns of the faith, as we only sing a select number in our church, and have others in the native language. So all that meshed together to our starting a new tradition--having a hymn of the month, which we sing right before dinnertime as a family, adding a new verse every week. We print out half-sheets in January for the whole year with month, hymn, verse, and character trait; laminate them; and keep it on the fridge. The kids run and get it for dinner or devotions. We try to tie in the theme of the hymn to the character trait of the month as well, if possible. We are enjoying this tradition.