Menu

The problem with having kids with a wide age spread

Is that I'm exhausted because my toddler is cutting his two year molars and has been waking me to nurse every night for a week. I'm nodding off over my keyboard here, but my 18 year old is out at an after work function and won't be home for another hour, and I can't sleep when he's out.

I know I'm going to have to get over that and learn to sleep when he's out. But in the meantime, I'm wondering if I'll ever feel rested again, between the toddler and the 18 yr old. I'm finding it a very hard combo of ages to be parenting at once!

Yep, teens and toddlers are a hard mix. I remember those days. My younger kids lived in the van while we chauffeured their older sister around. They missed naps. The youngest thought she should sleep with mom and dad. Everyone was sleep deprived.

:grouphug: Here's to a full night of rest very soon.

is that it is freaking awesome?

I truly do not 'parent' my 18, 20, and 23 yr olds. They rock it on their own. They are all in college/uni, and are far too old to need daddy or me to police them.

That was not helpful. I don't police my son, and I'm not sure why you would put it that way. I was speaking of my own vulnerable heart, as a mother, and my struggles to transition to this time with my son, he is my oldest child. I said I have to learn to sleep, because I know that he will be out a lot later and more frequently and it's unrealistic to wait for him. But while I get used to this, it's hard not to worry and I'm not quite there yet. I don't worry because I feel I need to police him and that he's up to no good, he's an awesome kid and is doing great, pays his own bills, and works at a job he loves. I worry because I'm his mom. And I'll get better at it with more practice, but it's new to me.

That was not helpful. I don't police my son, and I'm not sure why you would put it that way. I was speaking of my own vulnerable heart, as a mother, and my struggles to transition to this time with my son, he is my oldest child. I said I have to learn to sleep, because I know that he will be out a lot later and more frequently and it's unrealistic to wait for him. But while I get used to this, it's hard not to worry and I'm not quite there yet. I don't worry because I feel I need to police him and that he's up to no good, he's an awesome kid and is doing great, pays his own bills, and works at a job he loves. I worry because I'm his mom. And I'll get better at it with more practice, but it's new to me.

OK. I will go back and read your OP again.

OK. I read your OP again. :)

Parenting is tough.

Edited by LibraryLover

OK. I read your OP again. :)

Parenting is tough. There are no guarantees. I have had losses, I have adopted, I have had children in EI.

Having babies is pretty much a crap shoot.

I have a very diverse history of baby-having, and I currently have two in bed, and two goodness knows where. I wish I knew, but I do not.

Definitely. They've taught me a lot. There's a lot to ponder while experiencing such different stages on the spectrum of being a parent. I look at my toddler and remember when my adult son was that age, and it reminds me to appreciate this time all the more, even while sleep deprived. And I look at my adult son and appreciate the man he is becoming now and feel blessed that I've been able to travel this road with him. And I have three more besides, and yes, there are no guarantees.

ETA: My son didn't want to go straight to college, he starts next year. Since he lives at home I know when he's gone. So, maybe, when he isn't living here I'll find it easier just to not know.

Yep, teens and toddlers are a hard mix. I remember those days. My younger kids lived in the van while we chauffeured their older sister around. They missed naps. The youngest thought she should sleep with mom and dad. Everyone was sleep deprived.

:grouphug: Here's to a full night of rest very soon.

Oh yeah, the logistics of having such different ages and stages can be hard to juggle.

Thank you! I'm sure when his teeth come in he'll be able to sleep better again.

I'm with you, Annie Laurie :grouphug: I had a moment a little while ago when I thought I would lose my mind because I was dealing with one who was toilet training and one who needed me to take him out to practice his driving- all at the same time :blink::willy_nilly:

Exactly! :001_smile: Requires totally different sets of parenting skills! Fun and hard at the same time.

ETA: Or maybe they require the same skills (patience, modeling perseverance, and so on), but it's just that they both require so much of us at the same time.

Edited by Annie Laurie

So, maybe, when he isn't living here I'll find it easier just to not know.

I found it was easier for me. Four of my six are living away from home in three different states (and three different time zones) Not knowing the specifics makes me worry less.

Hang in there. It gets easier. Remind yourself that you did a good thing by raising him to be heading out on his own and console yourself with the fact that you still have a little one.

I used to tell myself: I'm not old. It's okay if I have a senior, I still have an infant....It's okay of I have a college student, I still have a toddler....It's okay if I have two in college, I still have one in kindergarten........It only started to sting when I realized that the little one was in 6th grade! Yikes.

Definitely. They've taught me a lot. There's a lot to ponder while experiencing such different stages on the spectrum of being a parent. I look at my toddler and remember when my adult son was that age, and it reminds me to appreciate this time all the more, even while sleep deprived. And I look at my adult son and appreciate the man he is becoming now and feel blessed that I've been able to travel this road with him. And I have three more besides, and yes, there are no guarantees.

ETA: My son didn't want to go straight to college, he starts next year. Since he lives at home I know when he's gone. So, maybe, when he isn't living here I'll find it easier just to not know.

That gave my chest a squeeze....I'm not so sure this will apply to me when the time comes...I might find that harder, actually.

My oldest is 19, youngest is 4. Middles are 16 and 12. It *is* hard sometimes! My oldest lives at home, is going to college and working. I stay up for him and get up early with him. It won't last forever, I know. I'm thankful that mine usually all sleep through the night now! Of course, their nights begin and end at different times! lol

When my older dc started staying out later than I wanted to be awake, I would leave my bedroom door cracked open and have the latecomer close it quietly when he got home. Or leave the hall light on for him to turn off. That way, I could go to sleep and know whether he was home when I roused in the night.

I feel your pain. I don't do well on less than full sleep at all!