Menu

Would you add anything? (4yo and 5yo)

lotsofpumpkins

Would you add anything to the schedules of the following children?

4yo: LOVES school, already finished many preschool books, so she's working on ETC 1 and R&S 1st grade math (and doing fine). She plays with her primary science set about once a week, and occasionally listens in on her older siblings' content subjects. She would love to add more subjects to her day, especially if they are fun. :) Of course, she thinks it's fun to do page after page of phonics and math each day. But once she is finished with that, she asks me what she can do (while she is waiting for her siblings to be finished so they can go outside and play with her). I'd love to have a plan with some more activities for her. She used to enjoy playing with our various math manipulatives, but has gotten bored of some of them. I'm about out of ideas for her when she asks, "What can I do?"

5yo: Will be 6 later this month, so this is officially his Kindergarten year. Since he started K-level work when he turned 5 last year, he is already doing CLE 100 math and R&S 1st grade phonics/reading. He also occasionally listens in on the olders' content subjects, but usually is playing instead. I feel like he is missing out on some fun K stuff since all he really does is the 3R's.

BTW, these two did HOD LHTH last year, and we aren't interested in repeating it. They are both way beyond the skills in it.

Would you add anything official to their schedules? I feel like they are neglected a bit when it comes to the fun stuff (they are #4 and #5 out of 6). I am very consistent with their 3R's and with all of the content subjects for the older children, but the youngers don't really have any thing just for them. I go back and forth between thinking I should just make it a point to read more books to the younger children and thinking I should have some kind of program for them. Any program would have to be open-and-go and not require specific library books! I've looked at Letter of the Week and Hubbard's Cupboard several times, but programs like that make me crazy; there's too many choices and too many specific books mentioned. Plus, I'd prefer not to have to get online to make plans. I like having plans all laid out in a book. Something like MFW K looks fun, but we'd be ignoring the math and phonics portions, so I'm trying to figure out if the cost is still worth it. Plus I don't know if the program lacks if you don't get extra library books on each topic.

So, any ideas? Or just read to them more from our home library and stop worrying about it?

ETA: It's not like they never have fun. They play outside for hours most days lately. I'm just talking about fun activities associated with school, like crafts, cooking, etc. Or science lessons geared towards Kindergarteners. Or.... (fill in the blank)...

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I see you have Bible verses in your signature. There is a fun cirriculum - Learn your Letters, Learn to Serve - which might suit you. It follows a "letter of the week" theme, but has a verse for the letter, has you pray for and do a service project for people with that letter starting their name. You could, of course, figure it out on your own as well, but it is put together nicely.

I need to admit that I have it but haven't made it happen for us. We've done a smidgen, and I do plan to use it eventually, and it isn't hard to do and is "open and go"...

ETA: As to if I would add to the schedule you have - no need, but if you want to sure. Learn/Serve has a number of cute, easy crafty ideas too. I meant to mention that.

Here's the link if you like. They have a sample for the letter B week so you get the idea.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/learn-your-letters-learn-to-serve-complete-curriculum-kit

Edited by Tjej

I see you have Bible verses in your signature. There is a fun cirriculum - Learn your Letters, Learn to Serve - which might suit you. It follows a "letter of the week" theme, but has a verse for the letter, has you pray for and do a service project for people with that letter starting their name. You could, of course, figure it out on your own as well, but it is put together nicely.

I need to admit that I have it but haven't made it happen for us. We've done a smidgen, and I do plan to use it eventually, and it isn't hard to do and is "open and go"...

ETA: As to if I would add to the schedule you have - no need, but if you want to sure. Learn/Serve has a number of cute, easy crafty ideas too. I meant to mention that.

Here's the link if you like. They have a sample for the letter B week so you get the idea.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/learn-your-letters-learn-to-serve-complete-curriculum-kit

Thats really neat! Expensive but neat!

ETA: It's not like they never have fun. They play outside for hours most days lately. I'm just talking about fun activities associated with school, like crafts, cooking, etc. Or science lessons geared towards Kindergarteners. Or.... (fill in the blank)...

Or you could add in a lil' kid-specific art activity once a week (if they're not doing art)... I'm looking at getting Home Art Studio for Christmas b/c we seem to forget to do the fun, craft-y stuff... :)

You could add in some fun Science projects. My 2 oldest at this age like the Discover and Do science videos from Sonlight. They would watch the activities on the DVD then do them, and a lot of times they could do them with little help from me :)

I'm in a similar situation, DS5 waiting around for DD8 that still requires more of my time. I'm still looking for more activities he can and wants to do on his own, but so far, I've added these online activities:

BrainPop Jr

Salsa Videos

Starfall

Also

Lollipop logic

Draw Write Now

Do-a-dot paints

Kiwi Crates (mail subscription art/craft/science kits. Get $10 off with this link)