Menu

Easy Grammar

hsmom2011

We like Easy Grammar, but I think it is way too much to get through in one year. I wish the workbooks didn't have so many pages.

We finished EG in a year. Dd did three pages a day. :-)

We just switched to Essentials in Writing which includes Grammar. I'm wondering if it is thorough enough that I could just ditch EG. I thought maybe I would just use the Daily Grams for extra practice. Does anyone use DG without EG? Can the DG be used with other grammar programs?

The author of Writing Strands didn't believe in doing a separate grammar, but only as it was needed in writing. So I'm thinking if Essentials in Writing has grammar, that's probably enough. :)

Daily Grams is intended to be review, not the primary instruction. I don't usually recommend doing DG unless someone has had significant grammar already or has finished EG.

:001_huh: We did EG 3 last year and did about 4 pages each day on Mon, Weds, and Fri and finished it around Christmas.

ETA: I just looked at my ds's workbook from last year. He always dates his papers. The first lesson was dated Aug. 24 and the last was dated Jan. 10. We take a couple weeks off from school in Dec. We also stopped using DG because it was too much busywork for us.

Edited by Walking-Iris

We use and really like EG, but I was wondering why the books are so huge. We've been trying to do at least 2 pages per day.

they are - but they're easy for the kids to do mostly independently and it's quick.

We do a DG/day and 2 EG pages, 3x per week.

For the DG's that's 36 weeks to go all through it, and they finish before the next year starts.

For the EG, that's 30 weeks to finish, which nicely leaves us some time at the start to memorize that year's lists of prepositions, helping verbs, etc.

It does kinds feel like a lot of pages, but both are ending up w/ pretty good grammar and it's like, 1.5 hrs per week total, so I cannot really complain.

We like Easy Grammar, but I think it is way too much to get through in one year. I wish the workbooks didn't have so many pages.

We just switched to Essentials in Writing which includes Grammar. I'm wondering if it is thorough enough that I could just ditch EG. I thought maybe I would just use the Daily Grams for extra practice. Does anyone use DG without EG? Can the DG be used with other grammar programs?

DG doesn't have instruction, so if you need the instruction, that way probably won't work. I'd try Essentials without another Grammar program, and see how that goes this year. You don't need to do a formal, separate grammar program every year anyway, so see what you think after using it for awhile. You can always go back to EG next year if you feel you need to.

We did EG over 2 years--feel free to use curriculum how it best serves you.

Merry :-)