Menu

marrying AO and classical: history and science

hsingscrapper

I like teaching the three r's. I can live without teaching history and science.

It stands to reason to opt for a more literary/CM-ish approach.

I am going to do high detail coloring books for science, I think. I'm open to suggestions.

I have US history picked out. I think we'll use A Patriot's History of the United States. The publisher's site offers suggestions for working with elementary.

Geography will also be coloring books by Wynn Kapit with lots of detail.

What I want for world history is something open and go and doesn't require outside books that could maybe be a coffee table kind of book when we're done.

How is this AO? (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious. I've been on the AO site a LOT in the last few weeks, lol!) Why not just figure out what level the kids can read independently, then assign living books & narrations if you want to be CM-ish. There was a post here linking various living science books (and lists of books!).

As to world history, how about Gombrich's "A Little History of the World"? I'm not sure it's a coffee table book, but it seems well recommended and appropriate to older children. Or do you want a series of books, instead of an all-in-one? When I think coffee table I remember a beautiful looking book that was full of timelines. But I don't think it had much teaching text, it seemed to be a reference book.

Hmm. I think AO is classical myself.

:iagree:

I merge AO/TWTM. Copywork/narration/dictation are a constant, but how we do them vacillates between CM and SWB styles. We amble through books ala CM/AO, but I sub out quite a few books. SOTW is our history, for example.

I love the Dover Coloring books. They are educational, great for attention to detail, and a brain-release after an intense lesson.

This is probably going to sound very weird but here goes.

We've been doing just math, grammar, and reading. I feel rotten as a teacher for having neglected everything else for the last year. It is my hope that we can play catchup this school year by doing a general overview of history and science. Next year would be more in-depth into various periods of history and areas of science before my oldest has to tackle his final four years that colleges will be looking at.

I also have a toddler under foot and would prefer something as painless as possible. Does that make more sense?

This is probably going to sound very weird but here goes.

We've been doing just math, grammar, and reading. I feel rotten as a teacher for having neglected everything else for the last year. It is my hope that we can play catchup this school year by doing a general overview of history and science. Next year would be more in-depth into various periods of history and areas of science before my oldest has to tackle his final four years that colleges will be looking at.

I also have a toddler under foot and would prefer something as painless as possible. Does that make more sense?

So what is your question? Are you wanting us to recommend a history book for you?

?? I too am missing the connection to AO. Do you mean you use the AO literature selections?

Yes, is this your question?

Yes. I am in need of a history suggestion. I was thinking of Story of Mankind but not sure how far that would carry us.

I would like to *not* have to make trips to the library. I like to download the public domain books whenever possible.

I am going to be ordering "Children's Homer" and "The Golden Fleece" from Rainbow Resource as part of the credit I have.

I am LOVING audio books for my eldest. He actually does better narrations with an audio book than with me reading to him aloud. With librivox they are free, and I was recently pointed at lit2go, which also has free audio books (even though I can't find a fast way to download them).

If Story of Mankind isn't enough, how about Synge's Story of the World series? Milestones Academy uses them as a family rotation.