Menu

anemia-questions....

Do you eat red meat? Cook in cast iron? Take the very bio-available form of iron called ferrochel? All these will help. Also taking a C supp with your iron supp will increase absorption of iron by raising the acid level in your stomach, helping to dissolve the iron pills and make more of the iron available to your body. And make sure not to take dairy an hour before or after as this will interfere with absorption.

It took me a couple of months to be back at 100%, but I started to feel steadily better pretty soon after starting supplements. I was taking Vitron-C by the time I saw the hematologist, and she was pleased when I told her that was what I was taking - she said it used to only be available by prescription and was what docs would prescribe for their anemic patients. Also avoids that "drinking rust" taste you get from Floradix. :ack2:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didnt know that about the dairy, although I knew about the Vitamin C. I will have to find a good form of vitamin c. I wonder if drinking a glass of OJ simultaneously would help.....I do not eat a lot of meat, nor do I cook in cast iron Hmmm....

It might have been my imagination, but I seem to have felt a boost within an hour of taking the Floradix. In fact, I took a dose around 10 pm and I couldnt fall asleep, which hasnt happened in ages.

The doc only did a finger prick test on me. If I dont feel better, I wonder if I should have the full blood work up done.

It depends on how low your numbers were. What was your ferritin level?(did they even check that?) Finger pricks are a waste of time. You need a full iron panel.

My ferritin was an 8. If you still get your periods, it is like one step forward and 2 steps back.

I have been on 3 iron pills a day for almost 3 years now. My Ferritin is only in the 25-35 range. But the rest of my numbers still seems to stay the same now. My HGB/HCT/Iron Sat/TIBC is much better.

If your numbers are that low, and you still get your periods, Floradix isn't going to be enough.

You need regular iron, and you have to take it as long as you have your periods.

I take Vitron-C. Never had a problem with it.

I said this before in many threads. I think it should be a must that any woman(esp after 35) should have a full iron panel done at their annuals. Finger pricks are notoriously incorrect.

And like the above PP, I see a hematologist. I get bloodwork done now every 6 months. Prior to this, it was every 3 months as I had to have 2 IV Iron transfusions. Those are not fun at all.

And of course, always take Vitamin C(pill form or OJ) when taking iron. Stay away from dairy/caffeine for at least an hour after taking your iron pills.

Hope you feel better.

And like the above PP, I see a hematologist. I get bloodwork done now every 6 months. Prior to this, it was every 3 months as I had to have 2 IV Iron transfusions. Those are not fun at all.

No, they are done in chemo labs and aren't fun. But they bring almost immediate relief from the fatigue.

Halcyon, If you have tested anemic, and are suffering from fatigue, I would consider seeing a hematologist. They can get iron levels under control rapidly and monitor them well. Also, because hematologists are usually in cancer centers, they are excellent at doing blood draws. It is like night and day compared to other labs. :glare:

The office finger pricks are a joke. They are often wildly inaccurate, and do not measure ferritin. (My office prick this past summer showed my hemoglobin at 16--not bad, eh? The full lab panel, however, showed me at 12, which is borderline, and which was a huge drop from what I was a year ago when I was deemed well enough to stop supplementing. That's a huge discrepancy.)

Get a full panel done, making sure they check BOTH your hemoglobin AND your ferritin.

Is a transfusion the same as an infusion? I ask because I don't absorb iron and have almost yearly infusions. They have been a fabulous choice for me. The side effects of oral iron (constipation, stomach pains, horrible taste in my mouth etc) are much worse than the slight discomfort of an IV poke. I go in sit there for about 3 hours, they "fill" me up with iron and I go home and in 2 weeks I feel like a new person. I've never had anything negative from them so I'm wondering if what I'm getting is different.

Also, you may have been more depleted than you thought as there are many things that can make your hbg appear to be higher than it is, the most common is dehydration. This would mean you were LOWER than what your finger stick actually showed.

Did they do a full cbc w/ diff? :glare:

I hope you feel better!!!:001_smile:

I have at least a partial explanation for why I have felt so. very. tired. lately. Doc diagnosed me with anemia. I have begun taking Floradix but does anyone know how long it is going to take before I begin to feel better?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didnt know that about the dairy, although I knew about the Vitamin C. I will have to find a good form of vitamin c. I wonder if drinking a glass of OJ simultaneously would help.....I do not eat a lot of meat, nor do I cook in cast iron Hmmm....

It might have been my imagination, but I seem to have felt a boost within an hour of taking the Floradix. In fact, I took a dose around 10 pm and I couldnt fall asleep, which hasnt happened in ages.

The doc only did a finger prick test on me. If I dont feel better, I wonder if I should have the full blood work up done.

You know, when I started Floradix for anemia, I felt much better within 24 hours. It was fast and amazing! It took a long while to get back to 100%, but I sure was thankful for that quick 'boost.'

Feel better soon! :grouphug: