Menu

Is DD too old for playsilks?

I'm starting Christmas shopping and one of the things I'm considering for DD is playsilks. She loves dressing up and we have a dresser full of dress up clothes. DD spends her days walking around the house in my old prom dresses. I want to add to the dresser because she's outgrown a few things in there and was wanting to add playsilks but then I look at them and wonder if I missed the age range for them. She's 8 1/2. What do you think? She would descibe herself as an "imagination kid" and still loves playing AG dolls, Polly Pockets, and Playmobil so it's not like she outgrowing any kid toys yet.

My oldest dd turned 9 last month. She was thrilled to rediscover a wide, silky sash I made for one of my ds's pirate costume from a couple of years ago. She also likes playing with my scarf. So I'd say if your dd still loves imaginative play, she'd probably like them! If she is too old to really play with them, she would probably find a creative use for them as an accessory. I have one 6yo dd who loves tying different scarves around her head. :)

I bet you'd still get at least a year or two worth of play out of them. The versatility of play silks is really they're great advantage -- they can be costume pieces, like turbans and skirts and capes, etc, or they can be fort walls or blankets or handcuffs or rivers for Playmobil people, etc, etc...

I have been struggling with a similar question. My dd is soon to be 13 and for Christmas she is wanting another AG doll. My decisions was, she plays with them so why would I not get her what she is asking for. She will probably not be playing with them any more in a year or two but does that matter? I vote get what you feel you dd will enjoy now.

I don't even know what they are.

A colorful silk scarf used in imaginative games. It can be a cape, skirt, doll blanket, etc., etc. The ones I've seen for sale (pre-colored) are about 36" square. It was cheaper for us to purchase blanks and dye them ourselves. And it adds to the fun!

I would think she'd get at least a couple of years out of them.

This thread prompted me to look at them for my niece's Christmas present. I just went to Rainbow Resource to see if they had them, and the only match that came up in my search was a book about Marco Polo! I guess the Silk Road was a close enough topic!