Menu

quinoa. Yuck. Help?

Quinoa and black beans. We top it with pepperjack cheese and/or salsa, and scoop it up with tortilla chips. It's very yummy (and fast!). I modify the recipe by using just one can of black beans.

Black beans and rice is our favorite dish, so I was excited to give it a go.

Resounding upset ensued. The phrase, "this is a tragic waste of black beans" was used.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Unless you like slimy frog eggs! Gross!

You all are cracking me up! Seriously, if cooked correctly quinoa is amazing, and DOESN'T taste like slimy frog eggs (not that I've ever had them). :lol: I can see people not liking the texture (I don't like watermelon because of the texture, but love it in a smoothie), but it really just tastes like what you cook it with. It's so good and I encourage those who have failed with it to try again. :)

:001_huh: how can someone not like cilantro, carrots and meat?!

Why would someone like mild food? I love flavor! Only one of us will eat bland food like mashed potatoes. And even those we kind of snob at the blah of russets.

Well I'm told bacon wrapped grilled asparagus with parm cheese is divine, but I can't stomach it.

:D My problem is that I like *everything*. (And i would pretty much try anything...except maybe those embryo eggs in China...I am not sure. ;))

I was trying to voice my understanding of those who are not total foodies. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Paste? You REALLY overcooked it, then. :lol: When I make it it's nice and fluffy.

:iagree: It should be fluffy and have individual grains, but not be hard. When it's cooked enough, it gets little "tails" that pop out of the grain, before that it's still too hard. So, it should not be hard and crunchy, though also not mushy (I also might think too much water??)

I must admit, none of the quinoa I have made has been slimy or mushy.

It's the lightest fluffiness sand tasting thing I've ever made.:tongue_smilie:

Same here..... I do buy it pre-rinsed, not sure if that helps. I just like the time saved & not worrying if I rinsed/soaked it enough.

You all are cracking me up! Seriously, if cooked correctly quinoa is amazing, and DOESN'T taste like slimy frog eggs (not that I've ever had them). :lol: I can see people not liking the texture (I don't like watermelon because of the texture, but love it in a smoothie), but it really just tastes like what you cook it with. It's so good and I encourage those who have failed with it to try again. :)

MY taste buds are forcing me to agree. :D

Apparently the trendiness of quinoa is causing people in the Andes who traditionally relied on it to no longer be able to afford it.

I like most varieties of it (and find the comparison to frog eggs and bird seed baffling) but I have to admit I feel a tad guilty eating it, factoring in the long distance to table and pricing people out of eating their traditional food.

Our family favorite quinoa recipe:

Quinoa Salad

3 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained (or soak in cool water fro 10 minutes, then drain)

6 cups water

Cook quinoa in water for about 15 minutes - until water is absorbed. Cool thoroughly.

Then add:

3-4 Tbs toasted sesame oil

1 cup cilantro (can be left out if don't like)

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup chopped red onion

16 oz frozen corn

juice from 2 limes

Mix above ingredients well, then add 2 diced avocadoes.

Stir gently. Refrigerate before serving.

I usually only make half because it makes so much.

Edited by MelAR05
hit enter too soon. :)

Apparently the trendiness of quinoa is causing people in the Andes who traditionally relied on it to no longer be able to afford it.

I like most varieties of it (and find the comparison to frog eggs and bird seed baffling) but I have to admit I feel a tad guilty eating it, factoring in the long distance to table and pricing people out of eating their traditional food.

I think you'll find this to be true about a lot of foods, especially meat. The third world countries sell us their grains to feed our livestock while their citizens go hungry. Orangutans are losing their lives so palm oil trees can be harvested and sold to us to make palm oil and other palm oil items. Really, unless you're growing and making your own food someone or something is suffering somewhere because of it. It's just a sad fact.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html

Edited by LibraryLover

No time to read the entire thread, as I'm hitting the hay, but quinoia is supposed to be fluffy like PILAF, not creamed/mushed. No wonder you're hating it! We like it as spanish rice. Takes forever to cook, but it's yummy that way. And really, when you get it right (fluffy), eat it fresh. Make smaller amounts. I think it turns bitter after a day or two, just me.