Menu

quinoa. Yuck. Help?

Alrighty. I've wasted almost an entire bag of quinoa trying to make something edible with it. So far, it rates right up there with lentils and pinto beans.:tongue_smilie:

The texture is just nasty? And that's from someone who likes tapioca.

I cannot use this in place of any of my oatmeal recipes that we love. It just isn't truly creamy.

And it isn't working in rice recipes either because it just doesn't have that firm yet soft sticky rice quality.

I tried a fried thing with it. Meh. No one spit it out but no one asked for a second bite either. And I am not a fan of frying food.

None of us like tabouli, so that type of salad is out too.

So I come before the hive in hopes of getting just one more recipe to try that will maybe be The One that adds quinoa to our pantry on regular basis.

What's your family favoritest quinoa recipe?

Are you rinsing it? Quinoa has saponin that needs to be rinsed off prior to cooking or it will give it an unpleasant taste. I soak mine about 5 min. then rinse thoroughly before cooking.

I like quinoa personally, but it might be a texture thing for you. I like it with mixed with nuts and/or veggies for a stirfry. Curry is nice too. My dh does not particularly like quinoa, that is why I'm wondering if it is a texture and taste thing rather than just a taste thing. IMHO, it is not a stand alone, but needs to be mixed with crunchy and spicy additions.

Well, I also adore lentils and pintos...

I personally wouldn't fry it or try to make it creamy like oatmeal, but I do like it as a side in place of rice or in place of bulgur in tabouleh...

I'll second that it must be rinsed, if you're not doing that already. The cooking time is 15-20 minutes, and I use a slightly lower grain/water ratio than rice - 1 3/4 c. water to 1c. quinoa.

But if you just don't like it as a side/alone, maybe try hucking it in chili. I have a quinoa chili recipe; the quinoa basically thickens it, but you don't really taste it.

Well I am of the opinion that is was only meant for birds.

I'll bet someone just decided hey lets tell everyone this is the healthiest junk ever lets rip everyone off and sell it for a high price.

:lol:

I love lentils and will eat any kind of bean, but I have yet to have quinoa and have it taste edible. I also think it's a huge rip-off price wise.

Are you rinsing it? Quinoa has saponin that needs to be rinsed off prior to cooking or it will give it an unpleasant taste. I soak mine about 5 min. then rinse thoroughly before cooking.

I like quinoa personally, but it might be a texture thing for you. I like it with mixed with nuts and/or veggies for a stirfry. Curry is nice too. My dh does not particularly like quinoa, that is why I'm wondering if it is a texture and taste thing rather than just a taste thing. IMHO, it is not a stand alone, but needs to be mixed with crunchy and spicy additions.

I have faithfully rinse it before each recipe effort. Tho I have not soaked it. I suppose I could soak it for a few minutes just to be sure I gave it a good rinse.

It might be texture. It is like itty bits of soft sand.

I thought I might make it in apple juice instead of broth...then make a little fritter like thing with it... Idk...

I've got enough left in the bag to try one more recipe, so figure I might as well give it another try.

I don't know how much help I'll be because my DD and I love it, just basically plain. I always cook it in chicken broth, though instead of water to give it a little more flavor.

This website has lots of yummy looking recipes. I haven't actually tried them yet because I try to avoid the kitchen as much as possible so only cook the quick and boring stuff right now. One of these days I hope to have more cooking stamina, though.

Quinoa Recipes

I know. I didn't buy it. Dh did bc he heard on one of those cable chef channel he watches from his hotel room that it's higher in protein and he knows how I need protein.

Which was sweet. I guess. :)

Pintos = dirt.

Seriously, they taste like dirt. :tongue_smilie:

so far quinoa = soft sand.

If you are looking for alternative grains have you had kasha? AKA roasted buckwheat. It cooks very quick and is very flavorful. Goes great with meat/gravy or any kind of sauce. Or just as a side like pilaf style.

I bought a 5 pound bag of Quinoa because they had it at Costco. I tried to like it. I really really did. I think I may have even a time or two told people it was good. But, I'm only fooling myself. It is not. I powdered mine in my Vitamix and tried adding a bit to baked goods. It's going to last a loooooooooong time.

I haven't tried these yet, but hope to make them tomorrow or Tuesday.

http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html

Didn't work out here. Tried that exact recipe. :(

Powdering to toss in as filler!! That's genius! I might do that. I make oatmeal banana smoothies all the time and could toss a tablespoon or two in then. But yeah, that would make it last a very very long time.

Didn't work out here. Tried that exact recipe. :(

Powdering to toss in as filler!! That's genius! I might do that. I make oatmeal banana smoothies all the time and could toss a tablespoon or two in then. But yeah, that would make it last a very very long time.

I can use about 1/3 cup to replace 2 cups in a batch of muffins. It doesn't taste/bake up any different.

I know there is some nutritional value but really, I do not want to eat food that doesn't taste good.

This is our favorite quinoa recipe around here, although I've been known to doctor it and saute extra onions, red peppers, or whatever veggie strikes me at the moment to add in.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black%20beans%20and%20quinoa&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

For what it's worth we don't eat pintos here either, only black or white beans.

If you are looking for alternative grains have you had kasha? AKA roasted buckwheat. It cooks very quick and is very flavorful. Goes great with meat/gravy or any kind of sauce. Or just as a side like pilaf style.

:iagree: Kasha is one of my all-time favorite foods. It does have even more of a flavor than quinoa (which I find not to have much more flavor than rice). If you try to cook it just like rice or most other grains, it will come out mushy and nasty. You have to mix the raw grains with a beaten egg first, then roast it in a very hot frying pan till the grains are dry again, which seals them and prevents the mushiness. And adds even more protein!

Start slowly! Next time your making rice to go with a stirfry add 1 tablespoon of quinoa to cook with the rice. Mix it in and it won't be overpowering at all. The next time use 2 tablespoons and so on until your at about half and half and that seems to be a good ratio for my family. I always keep any leftover rice and use it in fried rice, so quinoa is in that too but again not over powering.

I will also add a couple of tablespoons to any soup I am making. I will sometimes grind a tablespoon or 2 to add to whatever baked goods I am making.

HTH

We do not like quinoa unless it's cooked in stock. I like it as a grain-type salad similar to tabbouleh, but different. I add feta, olive oil, lots of lemon juice, s&p, chives and chopped tomatoes. It's also good with chopped almonds, feta or goat cheese and craisins. I've heard it's also very good in stuffed pepper recipes.

:iagree: Kasha is one of my all-time favorite foods. It does have even more of a flavor than quinoa (which I find not to have much more flavor than rice). If you try to cook it just like rice or most other grains, it will come out mushy and nasty. You have to mix the raw grains with a beaten egg first, then roast it in a very hot frying pan till the grains are dry again, which seals them and prevents the mushiness. And adds even more protein!

It also adds yet another chore to cooking!

I make great lentils, pinto beans, and quinoa. I think someone doesn't know how to cook :D

Bill

Meh. It's just not possible to make great lentils and pinto beans. Or asparagus.

I can make them great for other people. I usually sit there watching them eat it and glad they like it, but in my head I'm vomiting a little in my mouth bc I cannot stand those foods. Or Spam. My dad says I make the best spam and macaroni casserole ever and all 12 people here watch him eat it with pity and car wreck fascination.:D

I tried subbing quinoa for barley in a beef & barley soup recipe that I cooked in my crockpot one time when I first switched us to gluten-free. The quinoa totally disintegrated so if it's a texture issue rather than a taste one, I'd recommend using it for soup in the crockpot.

I tried subbing quinoa for barley in a beef & barley soup recipe that I cooked in my crockpot one time when I first switched us to gluten-free. The quinoa totally disintegrated so if it's a texture issue rather than a taste one, I'd recommend using it for soup in the crockpot.

I think the 'tails' are so cute, but it can turn to nothing.

Edited by LibraryLover

I am always mystified when I hera people who don't like quinoa.

I cook it with homemade chicken or turkey broth, add veggies (carrots/onion/celery are good), and add butter and salt. Love it!

**Love lentils too...

Yes! lol I get not liking cilantro, or carrots...meat.

But quiona is so mild.

If something tastes terrible to you, it might mean you're allergic to it. I know to some folks, cilantro tastes like soap. That's not a good sign. :)

I've tried it. Yuck! The texture was like thick paste. Then we learned our 3-year-old is allergic to it. I'm off the hook! Now I have an excuse to stick with rice!!! My mom loves it though. Who knows?

Paste? You REALLY overcooked it, then. :lol: When I make it it's nice and fluffy. Everyone in my family loves it and it's always one of the most requested dishes when people come to my house or I go to a potluck.

As others have said, you really just have to experiment with it. I know I overcooked it a few times the first few times I made it and never thought I'd have it again, but seeing as we're vegan I like to have it as a source of a complete protein. Thankfully I learned how to cook it! :)

I've tried it. Yuck! The texture was like thick paste. Then we learned our 3-year-old is allergic to it. I'm off the hook! Now I have an excuse to stick with rice!!! My mom loves it though. Who knows?

Too much water and/or you cooked it too long. Quinoa cooks really fast, and doesn't need too much water. But it is best left to rest in a heavy pot with a well-fitting lid for at least 15 minutes (after a short cook). Then the texture will be fluffy and light.

Bill

ETA: Rinse well with water and drain prior to cooking with fresh water.

Yes! lol I get not liking cilantro, or carrots...meat.

:001_huh: how can someone not like cilantro, carrots and meat?!

But quiona is so mild.

If something tastes terrible to you, it might mean you're allergic to it. I know to some folks, cilantro tastes like soap. That's not a good sign. :)

Why would someone like mild food? I love flavor! Only one of us will eat bland food like mashed potatoes. And even those we kind of snob at the blah of russets.

*sputter*

And asparagus too?! :001_huh:

Bill (who eschews Spam)

Well I'm told bacon wrapped grilled asparagus with parm cheese is divine, but I can't stomach it.