Menu

Thinking of high school in a couple of years...

My dd is just starting 6th grade, so I have plenty of time to prepare.

I have a 6th'er also. I suggest ramping up the reading, if that is a concern. Spread your school days to about 4-5 hours. Have her type her papers.

And of course, read SWB's book TWTM, if you haven't already. Her section on Logic Stage is fantastic.

Hi Foofy Coffee Lover! Love that name! :)

A few days back, I asked those on this board for recommendations for high school planning books. I received a lot of great input! You may be interested in the info that they gave me as well, so I'll try to post the link here

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42688

HTH!

AmeliaB in MO :)

Several years ago when my children were in sixth grade I utilized the talents of Dorian Holt's "Learning Adventure"S unit study. Her already prepared daily lessons and discussion scripts taught me how to open my children's minds and eyes to reading and writing. At this age I also believe reading and writing to be the foundation for high school. Instead of learning history/social studies/literature/science topics with text books or workbooks encourage your daughter to read REAL books. If you are not comfortable in selecting books from the public library then a unit study like Dorian Holt's provided pages of suggested book titles pertaining to the unit studied. I really learned that the kids love reading books on a topic rather than snippets in a text and then answering dull work book questions. She can read about Egyptian deserts in various age-appropriate books and then learn to write about it or make a booklet. Also, I tried to read to my sixth graders a few minutes every day on the living room sofa - they loved that special time (I did too :)).

Now, my children are in high school, sigh. I am grateful for the reading and writing foundation built during junior high because they still like reading and writing (well, my son is hot too fond of writing but does it well). A unit study approach is still the norm in my home. Tapestry of Grace is my supportive curriculum. With all the plethora of Internet studies and over stimulating video games there is no substitution (in my opinion) for reading a real book.

#1) Make sure the foundation is sure. While it's fun and refreshing to explore the extras (and I'd put anything outside the 3Rs here including art, modern foreign language, history, science, music, etc.), a solid foundation in math, reading and writing are key to doing well in the upper years. (And I'm not for ditching the extras; it's just that the further along we get, the more I realize that investment in the core reaps dividends later.)

#2) Start at the end. Where do you want your child to end up? Determine that and then work backward and it will become clear what you need to work on in the middle years. Go ahead and map out a skeleton sequence; but hold it loosely as opportunities and changes will surely come between now and then.

#3) Teach notetaking and outlining. You'll want these skills in place by 8th to 9th grade. We've used video courses and church sermons for notetaking. Apologia texts (and others too I'm sure) provide excellent ground to teach outlining.

#4) As you get closer to high school, find a homeschooling mom in your area whose children have done well and who is a step ahead of you. Take her to lunch and mine all the information you can about the practicalities of the high school years including test taking, college apps, AP/Clep/dual-enrollment. You can find excellent information here, but it's also helpful to get state-sensitive information.

If you'll search this forum and the previous boards, you'll find this question asked and answered frequently. Be sure to read those threads, as some of the veterans responded with wise advice.

HTH!

Lisa

Several years ago when my children were in sixth grade I utilized the talents of Dorian Holt's "Learning Adventure"S unit study. Her already prepared daily lessons and discussion scripts taught me how to open my children's minds and eyes to reading and writing. At this age I also believe reading and writing to be the foundation for high school. Instead of learning history/social studies/literature/science topics with text books or workbooks encourage your daughter to read REAL books. If you are not comfortable in selecting books from the public library then a unit study like Dorian Holt's provided pages of suggested book titles pertaining to the unit studied. I really learned that the kids love reading books on a topic rather than snippets in a text and then answering dull work book questions. She can read about Egyptian deserts in various age-appropriate books and then learn to write about it or make a booklet. Also, I tried to read to my sixth graders a few minutes every day on the living room sofa - they loved that special time (I did too :)).

Now, my children are in high school, sigh. I am grateful for the reading and writing foundation built during junior high because they still like reading and writing (well, my son is hot too fond of writing but does it well). A unit study approach is still the norm in my home. Tapestry of Grace is my supportive curriculum. With all the plethora of Internet studies and over stimulating video games there is no substitution (in my opinion) for reading a real book.

Interestingly, a friend gave me TOG to try this year, which I am planning. I really love the literature approach to learning, too. My dd is weak in reading and comprehension, though, so makes in challening. It's becoming very obvious that that needs to be our big focus this year. The desire is there, so that is a big plus!

My own approach is to focus on the whole child rather than just the academics. I personally don't want the highschool years to be one long academic grind as preparation for university. Here in Australia, if my child were for some reason to flunk highschool, (which she wont)she could still go to university at age 21 as a mature aged student, so its not the be all and end all- I would rather they find their passion and use the amazing opportunity of homeschooling to live a broad life during the teenage years. And, I don't neglect academics (I talk highschool because here in Australia my 14yo is in 2nd year highschool, which is Year 9).

I focus on maths up to a point, and writing skills, including notetaking and essays, as well as creative writing for my artistic child.

I prioritise.

We cover a lot by reading and discussion.

She attends a science class because thats my weak teaching area.

I am for a balanced life. These are also the last years I can teach her the things I want to teach her before she moves on. Things like a deeper study of nutrition, and also ideas around rearing children (I have books in mind I would love her to read, which I intend to make part of her schedule). The things I wish I had been taught at home, basically. Relationship skills. Homemaking skills. Budgeting. I feel these things may well end up being of more practical skill than knowing the emperors of Rome (even though we do and love history) or higher level maths- unless she wants to do certain careers.

And these things take time. So, I am for balance so that all aspects of life are given attention.

Edited to add- I think everyone shodl read the Teenage Liberation Handbook before the teenage years.