Menu

Slender extreme couponers

Ugh. I couldn't even bear to watch the entire thing. For whatever reason this show bugs me a great deal.

I can't find many full episodes, especially of the newer seasons.

This is a show I haven't seen much. In the other thread about coupons, folks said that extreme coupon -users are obese, so I was curious about those comments.

It is hyper- consumerism gone crazy, for sure, no matter.

Edited by LibraryLover

I hate to break it to the "vegan," but many of the foods in her stockpile aren't vegan. And the price on the frozen veggies is no better than what I get at Target every week.

She also is clearly a health -motivated vegan, rather than an ethical vegan, since she's buying things without regard to whether they are cruelty free. And she's not avoiding bone char-processed sugar. Environmentalism also isn't much on her mind, apparently, since all of the extra packaging involved in buying the small sizes of things like the rice to get the best deal is kind of appalling.

Who, vegan or not, eats that many Tic Tacs?

I have a lot of issues with the people on the show. Dh and I were saying last night a lot of them seem to have some sort of obsessive/hoarding tendencies. I mean, Im all for stocking up (especially if you are getting a good deal) on items you use often like body wash, laundry detergent, etc.

But to have 6,000 bags of cough drops is pure insanity:001_smile:

I do have mad respect for the couple that couponed like crazy, basically had a Walmart in their home, for the purpose of donating it all to charity. That was just awesome.

ETA: That being said, Im still going to start clipping coupons:lol:

I have a lot of issues with the people on the show. Dh and I were saying last night a lot of them seem to have some sort of obsessive/hoarding tendencies. I mean, Im all for stocking up (especially if you are getting a good deal) on items you use often like body wash, laundry detergent, etc.

But to have 6,000 bags of cough drops is pure insanity:001_smile:

I do have mad respect for the couple that couponed like crazy, basically had a Walmart in their home, for the purpose of donating it all to charity. That was just awesome.

ETA: That being said, Im still going to start clipping coupons:lol:

Or the guy with five hundred thousand boxes of toothpaste?!

I used to be an extreme couponer...been known on many occasions to get up to 75-100 percent off on my grocery bills. Once, I did a HUGE run on a double coupon sale and got about $800 worth of groceries for about $200 in one trip...at midnight! That was a crazy trip.

For us, it was a huge money saver and a really good education in how to save money at the grocery store. It was very important to us at the time because we had adopted four special needs kids in under four years and were broke and stressed out. Getting our baby soap for free, our diapers for almost nothing, etc. was a pretty big deal. I also got more than I could use, so I was able to donate a bag or two of groceries every week to the food bank. Very sweet deal. We had an extra freezer and fridge plus the entire closet under the stairs stacked up high with groceries. There was so much stuff that once I took pics...crazy organized...can't even remember those days now!

Downsides were my time...once I started homeschooling that bunch of kids, there was NO way I was going to be able to continue. Once we started trying to eat a more natural diet, I also found that there were less and less items I could get with a coupon. Now that we have gone to an almost all locally raised diet...forget about it. It is true that you can get all sorts of junk food easily. You can get some of the healthy stuff too, but you get into buying clipped coupons and jumping through all sorts of hoops to get enough stuff that it isn't always worth it.

If I were to do it today, I'd focus only on household supplies and use the savings there to buy all my locally raised produce and meats. I'd not give up the health benefits of those unless I absolutely had to do so.

Those shows are nuts...not the reality of the couponers I knew, but sensationalized for TV. It can be an addiction, but most people that do it have half a clue! ;)

Seriously I challenge anyone to show me how that is possible here. Many stores don't even double coupons. Most coupons I've seen have restrictions on how many you can use. It seems extremely unlikely to me that it works that way in real life. And I know what's on TV is often not entirely accurate.

And I really do not want 50 bottles of mustard. One bottle lasts me 6 months. What am I going to do with 50?!

It's completely absurd. Half the cart is filled with toothpaste, shampoo, and ridiculous things no one is ever going to use up. .

I used to be an extreme couponer...been known on many occasions to get up to 75-100 percent off on my grocery bills. Once, I did a HUGE run on a double coupon sale and got about $800 worth of groceries for about $200 in one trip...at midnight! That was a crazy trip.

For us, it was a huge money saver and a really good education in how to save money at the grocery store. It was very important to us at the time because we had adopted four special needs kids in under four years and were broke and stressed out. Getting our baby soap for free, our diapers for almost nothing, etc. was a pretty big deal. I also got more than I could use, so I was able to donate a bag or two of groceries every week to the food bank. Very sweet deal. We had an extra freezer and fridge plus the entire closet under the stairs stacked up high with groceries. There was so much stuff that once I took pics...crazy organized...can't even remember those days now!

Downsides were my time...once I started homeschooling that bunch of kids, there was NO way I was going to be able to continue. Once we started trying to eat a more natural diet, I also found that there were less and less items I could get with a coupon. Now that we have gone to an almost all locally raised diet...forget about it. It is true that you can get all sorts of junk food easily. You can get some of the healthy stuff too, but you get into buying clipped coupons and jumping through all sorts of hoops to get enough stuff that it isn't always worth it.

If I were to do it today, I'd focus only on household supplies and use the savings there to buy all my locally raised produce and meats. I'd not give up the health benefits of those unless I absolutely had to do so.

Those shows are nuts...not the reality of the couponers I knew, but sensationalized for TV. It can be an addiction, but most people that do it have half a clue! ;)

Now that is what Im talking about! I only get coupons for like a dollar or two off:glare:

So share your secrets!!;)

Seriously I challenge anyone to show me how that is possible here. Many stores don't even double coupons. Most coupons I've seen have restrictions on how many you can use. It seems extremely unlikely to me that it works that way in real life. And I know what's on TV is often not entirely accurate.

And I really do not want 50 bottles of mustard. One bottle lasts me 6 months. What am I going to do with 50?!

Wasn't all the mustard, pasta, tic tacs, M & M's, and canned tomatoes bought by the woman donating it all to The Ronald McDonald House? I can see having such supplies available for the families using the facilities. M & M's bribe for the older child who has to spend more time at the hospital, Tic Tacs when your mouth feesl like crap from no sleep, no matter how much you've brushed your teeth?

Edited by LibraryLover

That depends upon how much you use it for cooking and how many people you have in your home. Also, I noticed that one lady also used her couponing to help her son and his family (her daughter in law was "shopping" at her house). There was also a multi-generational family on one episode, I believe.

I didn't see the other thread, but I WAS a pretty extreme couponer. (At least my DH said so lol). I only had 2 kids then and homeschooling was tot school for the oldest only.

Let me just say, that show is a set up. Kinda like other "reality" shows on tv. I "knew" some of those women from couponing boards and they admitted that they spoke to managers and had stuff ordered for them and some store "rules" were overlooked for sake of the show (like how many coupons per order, sale limits etc).

That being said I used to do very well on diapers, health goods, etc. Never free as stores here do not double as much.

Then I got preg. with the twins and put on bedrest and couponing stopped. After I had the twins and recovered from my csection and the 1st 6mos of "twinhood":tongue_smilie:, I wanted to go back to couponing. Guess what, I couldn't!!:glare:

Due to these shows and "fraud" using coupons, manufacturers started restricting to one per person or 4 per person on the coupon and stores are enforcing it here. I now know my best prices on items we need and get a month or 2 supply when it hits that price and that's it. If I NEED it now I often get store brand. I don't have the time, etc to run around and make multiple trips to stores to use up the coupons.

Just a last note, at least 1 person on that show has been investigated for "fraud" (using coupons on wrong items on purpose) and banned from some stores. So don't believe everything you see on tv!:lol:

Oh and even the toiletries/cleaning stuff...I guess I'm picky. There are some brands of toilet paper, for example, that are no bargain if I need to use 2x as much. There is no point in laundry soap that doesn't work. I will use just about anything in the realm of toiletries except I have to have a dandruff shampoo. I guess I'm not flexible enough.

There are coupons for toilet papers that arent one ply, lol. I bough charmin and cottonelle yesterday with 50 cent coupons that were doubled. When that was coupled with the store sales the packs were only $3.99. That was a good deal. I only use gain laundry, but it was on sale for 4.99 and i had a dollar coupon... So i bought 4. Im never going to walk out paying nothing, (i wish!) but i wasnt using coupons at all previously. So for me it is a win.

As for fat coupon clippers, the krazy coupon ladies are cute and fit :), lol

I know one of the extreme couponers that was on the pilot of the show. She is so wonderful! She is nice, moral, generous, and yes thin. I learned a lot from her. She helped save my family's bacon when we were furloughed a few years ago. I don't buy a lot of boxed stuff, but because of the things I learned from her I spend about half the money I used to. I save on meat, dairy, veg, grains, etc. from using her tips. She also made regular donations to the local food pantry and taught couponing classes for free. Couponing has surely changed since this show, and not for the better, but there are real tips to be learned.

btw, I do think a lot of the people on that show are insane, lol!

Wasn't all the mustard, pasta, tic tacs, M & M's, and canned tomatoes bought by the woman donating it all to The Ronald McDonald House? I can see having such supplies available for the families using the facilities. M & M's bribe for the older child who has to spend more time at the hospital, Tic Tacs when your mouth feesl like crap from no sleep, no matter how much you've brushed your teeth?

I was referring to the "vegan" lady in the first clip you linked, the one who was saving money on groceries so she could afford another tattoo. There was no mention of her donating anything to anyone. She bought 27 bottles of mustard and tons of Tic Tacs.

Hang on: I'm watching this episode, and they just said Kelley "reduced her grocery bills by $24,000 over the last two years."

What?

I can't figure out how a normal person with a normal-sized family would even spend $24,000, even over a two-year period? A quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation tells me I spend less than 70% of that just buying normally. And, since she's "saving" that much, I have to assume she's still spending something.

That's insane.

I was referring to the "vegan" lady in the first clip you linked, the one who was saving money on groceries so she could afford another tattoo. There was no mention of her donating anything to anyone. She bought 27 bottles of mustard and tons of Tic Tacs.

I couldn't keep them all straight. Sorry. I was mostly looking for folks who didn't look heavy.

Hang on: I'm watching this episode, and they just said Kelley "reduced her grocery bills by $24,000 over the last two years."

What?

I can't figure out how a normal person with a normal-sized family would even spend $24,000, even over a two-year period? A quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation tells me I spend less than 70% of that just buying normally. And, since she's "saving" that much, I have to assume she's still spending something.

That's insane.

It does seem off. Addiction can present in all sorts of ways.

Edited by LibraryLover

Our co-op met today and I talked with other moms about this. One mom who is a friend said she used to really be into couponing. I mentioned how the coupons we find are nothing like that on the show, and how I would love to be able to GET PAID by buying things but I didnt think it was realistic especially for our area.

She said that she used to find amazing deals and once got paid 25 cents for every toothbrush she bought at Krogers. She said she stocked up. She doesn't coupon anymore though. She said it was too time consuming and she would rather spend that time with her children.

So I quess it is possible in some cases to save a lot of $$, and you dont have to be a hoarder in able to do so. But again, like I said before, the show represents this on a MASSIVE scale.

What?

That's insane.

Saving $24,000 is a bit insane over 2 year. However spending that over 2 years in you include toiletries, pet stuff etc is not unbelievable at least not around here. We could easily spend over 1k a month here for food, we don't we are careful and watch our budget, but if we wanted to go a step up in how we eat, it would not be hard at all to reach 1k a month on food. I think it really depends on cost of living where you are.

For instance we are following a recipe site and she lists the ingredients you need for the meals and a basic price for the various things, her cost for organics is less then what it costs at any of the grocery stores in my area for non-organics let alone for organic options. I have to add anywhere from 20 cents to $3 to her estimates of cost for various foods, and more if we go for the organic option, which we normally do. Which means her costs of $60 for the week for the foods needed for the 5 meals end up being $75 or more for me.