Menu

The Great Courses Science or ?

I am looking at TGC for 9th grade for my ds. Where do I start? Would Physics be the place to start? If so, which ones should I pick for the year?

This year my boys are doing BJU Space and Earth Science. We have the investigations CD and they like it well enough, but would like to do something else next year.

I am open to other online/dvd options as well.

I am familiar with ABeka and Apologia, but I don't know what else is out there really.

Oh, and the boys will be taking Algebra I next year if that makes a difference.

I am looking at TGC for 9th grade for my ds. Where do I start? Would Physics be the place to start? If so, which ones should I pick for the year?

This year my boys are doing BJU Space and Earth Science. We have the investigations CD and they like it well enough, but would like to do something else next year.

I am open to other online/dvd options as well.

I am familiar with ABeka and Apologia, but I don't know what else is out there really.

Oh, and the boys will be taking Algebra I next year if that makes a difference.

If your kids are only starting algebra 1, it basically forces them to start with biology. A good physics or chemistry course would require algebra 1 as a prerequisite.

Generally, the normal TC courses are not designed as high school, courses.

Which TC physics course did you have in mind? I do not see anything that would be comparable with a standard high school/intro course; many interesting topics, but I would use any of these as a supplement only, or as a special topics elective.

The main problem why these are not suited as a high school course is that you can not learn physics by watching somebody talk about physics, you need to learn how to work problems. TC does not support this, as far s I know.

We have the TC high school chemistry course by Cardulla, and it was the only course I have been completely disappointed with. It is not a stand alone course, because it covers only a few topics. These it covers excruciatingly slowly and with much repetition. Great for a student who needs remedial chemistry, boring for a strong science student.

Are you looking strictly for video or on-line curriculum?

With my son, we did Conceptual Physics (text) the same year we did algebra 1 in 8th grade. We focused on reading and comprehension and avoided the algebra based problems until he had the skills.

Then we are doing Spectrum Chemistry and Shepherds Biology.

Over the next 2 years I'll have him do either AP level Chem and Bio or send him to the CC for their introductory science classes.

Edited by kRenee