Menu

Anime lovers, help please

In my other thread, at least 2 posters mentioned their kids enjoying anime.

What are some series that are safe to watch?

I know a few terms to look out for (hentai, yuri, yaoi), but i know nothing more. I'd like to find my dd a nice loooooooong series to watch so when she gets an episode or 2, i dont have to worry so much about which show it is.

She tends to find new stuff on youtube and anime sites, and this leads to trouble.

While I would recommend Avatar: the Last Airbender (as well as The Legend of Korra, which is one season in now and we also like), I don't consider it anime, as it was created in the US and aired on Nickelodeon. :) Great series, though - we've seen the entire thing multiple times. It's on Netflix. (Korra isn't, to my knowledge...)

I've been wracking (racking?) my brain trying to think of something, but it really comes down to what you are ok with your DD seeing. I also asked DH if he could think of any, and he couldn't off the top of his head.

There are some shows which I think are maybe ok, but I don't have an 11 year old so I'm not sure. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend most for less than a teenager, BUT it all just depends. We've seen a lot of them, though, if you have any questions on particular shows... sorry I'm not any help!

Oh, and I second the mention of English SUBS, not dubbed. The English voice acting can be painful. :D

Fruits Basket, and yes that is spelled correctly.

Sailor Moon

Tokyo Mew Mew

Cardcaptor Sakura

Bottle Fairies (great for learning more about Japanese culture)

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar

Azumanga Daioh (sketchy territory for me, but DD LOVES it)

Manga

Almost all of the above started as Manga so I suggest them. Save Fruits Basket for later because the Manga is aimed more at teens. Not yet in Anime form but GREAT is Youtsuba&!. SO FUNNY.

Not Anime but still great would be anything by Studio Ghibli. Honestly, their movies are pieces of art with amazing stories.

I asked my girls for 'harmless' anime and they both shouted, "Pokemon!" Not sure that's what you wanted to hear. ;)

They ask what she is watching/wanting to watch. They don't know what you would consider bad. My 20 year old artist thinks Fruits Basket and Sargent Frog *might* be ok.

My oldest dd said many have some with 'light' and 'mild' sexual innuendo, which she thinks would go over most kids' heads.

Edited by LibraryLover

My 20 year old dd is familiar with the genre, although not a huge fan, says she can tell you more if you know some of the titles she is sneak-watching. She will give a review if she knows the program.

She is a very mature young woman, and is respectful of certain limits. She would be honest with you, not placating.

Both dds also wondered if she has seen Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service. They are very sweet movies.

Edited by LibraryLover

While I would recommend Avatar: the Last Airbender (as well as The Legend of Korra, which is one season in now and we also like), I don't consider it anime, as it was created in the US and aired on Nickelodeon. :) Great series, though - we've seen the entire thing multiple times. It's on Netflix. (Korra isn't, to my knowledge...)

No, but it just came to Hulu. :D Agreed that it's not anime.

Fruits Basket and Sailor Moon were the first things that occurred to me, though Fruits Basket is very romancey and weird. It's all weird though. Oh, and Pokemon. :tongue_smilie: A bunch of my former middle school students who are in college now are still obsessed with Pokemon. It's just fascinating.

ETA: And, of course, anything by Studio Ghibli, of course.

I know you said in the other thread that you're letting her watch Fruits Basket. I thought of two others I would really recommend for a tween girl.

Princess Tutu. It's a very cute anime about a girl who goes to a ballet school and meets a lot of other kids there, some of whom can turn into animals. It is cute, very good, perfect for an 11 year old girl. It's on Netflix instant if you have that.

If you can find Kodocha, it is great also. It is about a girl (who also happens to be 11) who is a TV star and who has crazy fun with her family and friends and school.

I know you said in the other thread that you're letting her watch Fruits Basket. I thought of two others I would really recommend for a tween girl.

Princess Tutu. It's a very cute anime about a girl who goes to a ballet school and meets a lot of other kids there, some of whom can turn into animals. It is cute, very good, perfect for an 11 year old girl. It's on Netflix instant if you have that.

If you can find Kodocha, it is great also. It is about a girl (who also happens to be 11) who is a TV star and who has crazy fun with her family and friends and school.

I read this post out loud to my dh and he said,

"Now that you mention it, Yawara would be good. It's older."

I have opinions from dd, so maybe this will help with what she likes.

Sailor Moon Likes

Tokyo Mew Mew

Cardcaptor Sakura

Manga

Almost all of the above started as Manga so I suggest them. Save Fruits Basket for later because the Manga is aimed more at teens. Not yet in Anime form but GREAT is Youtsuba&!. SO FUNNY.

Not Anime but still great would be anything by Studio Ghibli. Honestly, their movies are pieces of art with amazing stories.

Samurai Seven

Films by Miyazaki like Totoro, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle loves, Kiki's Delivery Service.

I'm not sure the rating on all of them though.

I asked my girls for 'harmless' anime and they both shouted, "Pokemon!" Not sure that's what you wanted to hear. ;)

They ask what she is watching/wanting to watch. They don't know what you would consider bad. My 20 year old artist thinks Fruits Basket and Sargent Frog *might* be ok.

My oldest dd said many have some with 'light' and 'mild' sexual innuendo, which she thinks would go over most kids' heads.

Princess Tutu. It's a very cute anime about a girl who goes to a ballet school and meets a lot of other kids there, some of whom can turn into animals. It is cute, very good, perfect for an 11 year old girl. It's on Netflix instant if you have that. said she loves

Obviously she likes fruits basket, since I know that one. Anything else she has not seen. She said she couldn't get into Bleach, but that may have been due to youtubing being difficult.

Maid-sama (not a clue here) is something she did not like. Togain no chi is something she says is inappropriate but she likes because of the story line.

I went through an anime review site with dd. there were 6 pages, and she had only seen a few, but thise few were all rated mature (i attempted to cross check on the christain site, but they were not even listed!).

A few others that she likes are: School Rumble, Blood +, Vampire Night, Dog Days, and a few more that are not on the revieew sites. I'm going to sit with her watching allowed shows until i get to know them.

I went through an anime review site with dd. there were 6 pages, and she had only seen a few, but thise few were all rated mature (i attempted to cross check on the christain site, but they were not even listed!).

A few others that she likes are: School Rumble, Blood +, Vampire Night, Dog Days, and a few more that are not on the revieew sites. I'm going to sit with her watching allowed shows until i get to know them.

Oldest DD says Cardcaptor is about a little girl playing cards (like Pokemon), and she thinks it might be OK. She thinks School Rumble 'might' be ok. She has never heard of Blood +, Vampire Night, or Dog Days.

Edited by LibraryLover

Angelic Layer, Cardcaptor Sakura (Japanese version with subtitles is better than the US dubbed version), Snow Fairy Sugar, Bottle Fairy, Scrapped Princess (my dd said no younger than 10yo), Digimon Tamers (all the digimons are fine, but this is the best one available in the US right now), Pokemon (it's fine, but not the best), Hamtaro

Sailor Moon is mostly okay, but I couldn't stand the screaming and crying and whining in that show. It was supposed to be all about girl power, but then they always had to be saved by Tuxedo Mask.

My dd says Angelic Layer is the very best of all of the anime series she listed.

Shows similar to anime that aren't really anime, but are excellent: Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Can't stand the stuff, but my husband made me sit through all 100+ episodes of Robotech. It's safe for kids.

I just got the complete series of Robotech on Swap-A-DVD. I watched it as a kid and never got to see all of it. I may make DD watch it with me so she can know what Anime was like back before electricity.

Sailor Moon and Rayearth are pretty tame. Gundam Wing is one I liked from ages ago. Sailor Moon is really best if you get the subtitled, not the dubbed american version, it's just better quality. I found one on Hulu recently that was cool, it was called Wolf something and the main character was a wolf/girl.

I'd agree that Avatar, while cool, isn't quite anime. Still, she might like it since it's similar.

I think the best way to stay away from questionable stuff is to go more for the series vs individual movies and monitor any fanfiction or online videos heavily. Plus if you stick with series you can just watch the first 1-2 episodes with her and if those are okay you can bet the series as a whole will be fine. That way you're not stuck watching every single thing with her if you don't want to.

Sailor Moon

Tokyo Mew Mew

Cardcaptor Sakura

Manga

Fruits Basket has some strong language and alludes to adult themes. I enjoy anime with my 12-year-old son, but the rating system just does not translate. There is always something you'll have to make 'cultural' compromises to watch. Fruits Basket is great, except for the language. Haru and Gu is fun, but the mother is a drunk. Avatar is amazing, but it's not 'real' anime. Sands of Destruction is interesting, except for that whole wanting to blow up the world thing. Sgt Frog is a hoot. Its on netflix. Maybe start there? They will ALL have some sort of cross-dressing character. I don't know why.

The movies can be nice. Try watching Spirited Away or My Neighbor Toturo.

It's me again lol... Blood + rundown (includes spoilers), main girl kills the bad things (which I can't remember what they are called now...chiropteran? Or something....) which are led by her twin sister. It's quite good, and the lead character is good. (And it made me fall in love with the name Saya, so much so that I would have considered naming Pink that... but alas, she ended up with a video game name instead :p ) Overall it's a good vs evil thing, the only downside to me would be that it can be bloody.

Bleach is one of my favorites, but it's a taste thing. There is an anime site we watch on... let's see... gogoanime dot com I think?? It's streaming and it releases the new stuff each week, pretty reliable. OH, and I just remembered Eureka Seven and the follow up, which is called Eureka Seven AO - the follow up in particular seems pretty tame from what I saw (though we didn't see a whole lot, haven't watched recently) and again with Eureka, it's occasionally a bit bloody/violent.

I love Studio Ghibli, as well. :) Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are two favorites here, with the kids, too.

Aiya... we are such geeks. :blush: :lol:

I've watched some School Rumble. It's probably a little suggestive/mature for an 11 year old. I don't remember anything specific but that's the impression I had. It's rated TV-MA.

Blood+ is about a girl who kills vampires. Probably somewhat violent. Also rated TV-MA.

I can't find a rating for Dog Days, but it seems pretty mild.

The manga of Vampire Night used to run in Shojo Beat (a magazine). Now it wasn't always a perfect judge, but most manga that run in it are pretty clean. I haven't seen any of the anime though.

Trying not to hijack, but any of you knowledgeable about Hetalia? Dd14 wants to watch it. It says MA, but I scanned it and couldn't find anything objectionable :confused: (other than perhaps the blatant stereotypes about the personified countries' personalities...)

This is a show i remember hearing from dd. :blushing:. i'll ask her for details.