Menu

Submitted first college app today

My oldest submitted his first college application today. It is for his dream school. His scores and GPA are in the top 25th percentile. Both his dad and I went to grad school there, as did two uncles and an aunt. (That is somewhat influential at this university.) He would be so happy at this school, and not too far from home, although our rule is you have to go away to college. We can afford the school, even without the scholarships he will automatically receive. (Thanks Jane in NC for making me think about that years ago!)

But how can this little boy be old enough to go to college next year? Didn't he just start kindergarten in August? He is my old soul kid, so I think college will be great for him. But, ugh, it is hard to think that next year he won't be eating dinner with us every night. We won't be going to his soccer games. I won't know when he gets home from the movies.

My oldest submitted his first college application today. It is for his dream school. His scores and GPA are in the top 25th percentile. Both his dad and I went to grad school there, as did two uncles and an aunt. (That is somewhat influential at this university.) He would be so happy at this school, and not too far from home, although our rule is you have to go away to college. We can afford the school, even without the scholarships he will automatically receive. (Thanks Jane in NC for making me think about that years ago!)

But how can this little boy be old enough to go to college next year? Didn't he just start kindergarten in August? He is my old soul kid, so I think college will be great for him. But, ugh, it is hard to think that next year he won't be eating dinner with us every night. We won't be going to his soccer games. I won't know when he gets home from the movies.

Oh the places he will go! I continue to miss my son even though he is a junior in college. (Gulp.) But I am excited by the twists and turns that his life is taking.

I chuckled when I read your thanks up above. I feel like I should have a talking wallet app. Every time someone pulls out some cash or a card to buy a monster flavored latte they could hear Aunt Jane reminding them to save for college or vacation or whatever. Think I could make my fortune this way? ;)

Oh the places he will go! I continue to miss my son even though he is a junior in college. (Gulp.) But I am excited by the twists and turns that his life is taking.

I chuckled when I read your thanks up above. I feel like I should have a talking wallet app. Every time someone pulls out some cash or a card to buy a monster flavored latte they could hear Aunt Jane reminding them to save for college or vacation or whatever. Think I could make my fortune this way? ;)

Except buying your app would cost money they should be saving for college, and you would feel guilty, so you would give your app away for free. (That's what I always think when people talk about buying Dave Ramsey books-shouldn't that money go into the emergency fund?) And no one would advertise on it because your app would tell people not to spend their money on the spnosors' products.

But really, we have worked hard the past few years to save money. It feels good to be able to tell your kid that he won't need to take out loans.

Except buying your app would cost money they should be saving for college, and you would feel guilty, so you would give your app away for free. (That's what I always think when people talk about buying Dave Ramsey books-shouldn't that money go into the emergency fund?) And no one would advertise on it because your app would tell people not to spend their money on the spnosors' products.

But really, we have worked hard the past few years to save money. It feels good to be able to tell your kid that he won't need to take out loans.

Play the guilt card! You have me pegged.

It does feel good that our son will begin his post-collegiate life without loans. (Keeping fingers crossed on this. We have always told him that it should work out that way pending some sort of financial disaster.)

Good luck to your son! I am sure that he has a bright and exciting future ahead.