Menu

SWR with loose-leaf paper?

Amy Jo

Instead of a composition book. Advantages: it's flat (no crooked hands), if they do a horrid writing job I can make them rewrite, I can use the italic-lined paper. I can also add in additional dictations. The only disadvantage is I'll have to use a 3-ring binder, which isn't a big deal to me.

So... will it ruin my kids if I drop the bound spelling book? I don't think it will, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

That's how we do it! We tweak even more than that though. They write on the whiteboard as we analyze the new words together as a family. Then they get out loose leaf paper and I dictate two sentences and give them a spelling test on an old list. Then they stick it in their spelling notebook. The new list of words doesn't get put into the notebook until it is used as a spelling test a few days later.:D

LOL Nansk!

That's how we do it! We tweak even more than that though. They write on the whiteboard as we analyze the new words together as a family. Then they get out loose leaf paper and I dictate two sentences and give them a spelling test on an old list. Then they stick it in their spelling notebook. The new list of words doesn't get put into the notebook until it is used as a spelling test a few days later.:D

Oh I like this idea...

We've only used looseleaf paper here. Even with looseleaf there are tears and thrown crumpled paper.

Staples sells some thin clear soft plastic 3 ring binders that I really like. I think they are about $2.00 at full price. I try to stock up when they are on sale. These are often my substitute for a composition notebook.

This is interesting. I'm all for tweaking, but it seems from this description that you don't make the rules references pages at all. So, only the spelling tests and dictated sentences go in the notebook? Just curious.

My only real issue would be the reference pages. I would really miss them. However, I think you can get a black line package of blank reference pages. I'm one who was VERY excited about the new formatted black learning log so we wouldn't have to make our own reference pages.

The rest of this is just being a devil's advocate: I do like how small and thin the learning logs are. Neither of my dc (1 righty, 1 lefty) have trouble writing in them. They are so easy to store on the shelf whereas a binder would take up more room (shelf storage is at a premium for me) and I would lose pages. We do the loose leaf thing with FLL and WWE and I'm constantly looking for papers I didn't file. :glare: That's certainly personality driven, though. I don't plan on changing my FLL/WWE system...I just need to take the time to put things where they go immediately.

Just some little thoughts. It wouldn't change the program at all, IMHO.

The reference pages are not an issue. Get the black line masters, print them, punch and put in the back of your notebook, and you're golden! I think we stopped using the logs after 1st. Whenever she outgrew the uber-cute primary logs, that's when we stopped. I made my own dictation paper, forms for the placement tests (which we tried to do every month), etc.

You're gonna be fine. Bust free! :)

This is interesting. I'm all for tweaking, but it seems from this description that you don't make the rules references pages at all. So, only the spelling tests and dictated sentences go in the notebook? Just curious.

No, we did the reference pages last year (with Phonics Road) and I kind of felt like it was a waste of time.

My beef with these programs is that they just take too long, especially if you have to do it individually with each kid. So I switched this year to R&S spelling, which is good not because of the lists, but because of the application of the rules (so everyone says anyway).

I then started thinking R&S spelling was busywork and thought the O-G method was more effective. So letting go of the notion that the kids need spelling lists at their level, I use SWR below my dd8's level and at my dd6's level and combine them.

Dd8 still gets the benefit of applying the spelling rules to words. At the pace we are going, about 80 words a week, we will quickly get up to her level anyway.

So I've adapted it. Because we used Phonics Road for a few years, we have the benefit of knowing all of the spelling rules via song. :> We use the SWR lists now, like I described, with the Phonics Road spelling rule songs. It just works for us.