Menu

Writing numbers on C-rods?

Esse Quam Videri

I wouldn't. I admit I was skeptical my kids would grasp that rods are representations of numbers and quantities and not just colors--- but they really do. And now, as my daughter gets older I use the rods to represent fractions and other numbers.

p.s. Have you seen Rosie's videos over at Education Unboxed?

Also, I have an old video on this post that you might find informative.

LOL, I was actually just checking out your blog :).

I just got the C-rods today and I've been watching some Education Unboxed videos trying to figure it all out. My kids are older and strong in math, but I think it will benefit them anyway.

No. My 5yo had the values down within a week, and my 3yo knows about half of them already.

One of the many reasons NOT to do it is because CRods don't always represent the number corresponding to their length. To study fractions, the 10 rod might be a 1, and you can then break it into tenths with the white rods, fifths with the red rods, halves with the yellows, etc... I'm sure there are other good reasons, but just give your kids a bit of time and they will have them down, and so will you.