Menu

Help fill out this medieval copywork project!

This is the table of contents for Story of the World, Volume II. When a secular passage for copywork is posted in this thread for a chapter, I will italicize the name of that chapter in this master list. I bet we can have a whole copybook done in no time if everyone contributes. As indicated in the thread in which this idea originated (by Kate in Arabia), any Biblical passages or excerpts from religious poetry should be descriptive rather than proselytizing in nature.

ETA: Passages should be no more than a short paragraph. List the source, and the chapter it is intended to correspond with. Don't worry about grammar or punctuation yet; we'll go over that after it's all accumulated. Passages should be exemplary English: lovely and sophisticated; and they should be from a historical or classic source, ie, poetry, primary sources, chants or songs, religious texts, classic authors, would all be okay. So Mark Twain's bio of Joan of Arc is good, but the Story of the World's sentences on Joan of Arc would not be good.

Ch 1: The Glory That Was Rome

• Wandering Through the Roman Empire

• The Fall of Rome

Ch 2: The Early Days of Britain

The Celts of Britain

• Barbarians Come to Britain

• Beowulf the Hero

Ch 3: Christianity Comes to Britain

Augustine Comes to England

• Medieval Monasteries

• Writing Books by Hand

Ch 4: The Byzantine Empire

• The Beauty of Constantinople

Justinian, The Just Emperor

• The Empress Theodora

• The Church in the East

Ch 5: The Medieval Indian Empire

• A King Called Skandagupta

• Monks In Caves

Ch 6: The Rise of Islam

• Muhammad’s Vision

• Muhammad Flees to Medina

• The Koran: Islam’s Holy Book

Ch 7: Islam Becomes an Empire

• The Fight for Mecca

• The Spread of Islam

• The City of Baghdad

• Sinbad and the Valley of Snakes

Ch 8: The Great Dynasties of China

• Yang Chien Unites North and South

• The Tang Dynasty

Ch 9: East of China

• The Yamato Dynasty of Japan

• A Tale of Three Countries:

Korea, China, and Japan

Ch 10: The Bottom of the World

• The First People of Australia

• The Long Journey of the Maori

Ch 11: The Kingdom of the Franks

• Clovis, the Ex-Barbarian

• Four Tribes, One Empire

Ch 12: The Islamic Invasion

Ch 13: The Great Kings of France

• Charles the Hammer

• The Greatest King: Charlemagne

Ch 14: The Arrival of the Norsemen

• The Viking Invasion

• Eric the Red and “Eric’s Son”

• The Norse Gods

Ch 15: The First Kings of England

• The Vikings Invade England

• Alfred the Great

• The Battle of Hastings

Ch 16: England After the Conquest

• The English Language

• Serfs and Noblemen

• Stone Castles

Ch 17: Knights and Samurai

• The English Code of Chivalry

• The Samurai: Japanese Knights

Ch 18: The Age of Crusades

• A Command from the Pope

• Recapturing Jerusalem

• Saladin of Jerusalem

• El Cid and the “Reconquest of Spain”

Ch 19: A New Kind of King

• Richard the Lionhearted

• John Lackland and the Magna Carta

Robin Hood

Ch 20: The Diaspora

• The Scattering of the Jews

• A Tale of the Diaspora

Ch 21: The Mongols Devastate the East

• Genghis Khan, Emperor of All Men

• The Mongol Conquest of China

Ch 22: Exploring the Mysterious East

• Marco Polo Goes to China

• The Forbidden City of the Ming

Ch 23: The First Russians

• The Russians Come to Constantinople

• Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible

Ch 24: The Ottoman Empire

• The Ottoman Turks Attack

• The Capture of Constantinople

• Suleiman the Lawgiver

Ch 25: The End of the World

• The Plague

• A New Way of Living

Ch 26: France and England at War

• Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt

• Joan of Arc

Ch 27: War for the English Throne

• The War of the Roses

• The Princes in the Tower

Ch 28:The Kingdoms of Spain and Portugal

• Ferdinand and Isabella Unite Spain

• Henry the Navigator, Prince of Portugal

Ch 29: African Kingdoms

• Gold, Salt, and Ghana

• Mansa Musa of Mali

• The Songhay Empire

Ch 30: India Under the Moghuls

• The Moghul Dynasty

• Akbar of India

Ch 31: Exploring New Worlds

• Christopher Columbus

• Vespucci and Magellan

Ch 32: The American Kingdoms

• The Mayans of Central America

• The Marvelous City of Teotihuacan

• The Incas

Ch 33: Spain, Portugal, and the New World

• The Slave Trade

Cortes and Montezuma

Chapter 34: Martin Luther’s New Ideas

Martin Luther’s List

• Henry VIII’s Problem

Ch 35: The Renaissance

• A New Way of Thinking

• Gutenberg’s Great Invention

Ch 36: Reformation and

Counter-Reformation

• The Spread of the Reformation

• The Council of Trent

Ch 37: The New Universe

• The Revolution of Copernicus

• Galileo’s Strange Notions

Chapter 38: England’s Greatest Queen

• The Queen Who Almost Wasn’t

• Good Queen Bess

Ch 39: England’s Greatest Playwright

• William Shakespeare

• Macbeth’s Decision

Ch 40: New Ventures to the Americas

• Walter Raleigh and the New World

• The Lost Colony

Ch 41: Explorations in the North

• The New-Found Land

• Jacques Cartier’s Discovery

Ch 42: Empires Collide

• Spain and England’s War

• The World at the End of the Sixteenth Century

From The Story of the Middle Ages by Miller

The Beauty of Constantinople:

"The Eastern Empire, with it's magnificent capital at Constantinople, included Greece, all of Asia Minor, Palestine, and Egypt." pg. 55

Justinian, The Just Emperor

"Justin had proven himself so brave, noble, and worthy, that when the emperor died whom he had served, the people chose him to become emperor in his turn." pg 55

or

"These wise laws, known as the Code of Justinian, still exist, became the foundation of the laws used by many other nations, and are the greatest contribution made by Justinian to civilization." pg. 56

HTH

This is a great idea, Rose! To clarify: Are you asking for copywork passages from SOTW 2 itself? Or topic-related quotes from other sources? And what age range are you thinking about? Like, 2nd grade-ish? Because that would of course inform the complexity and length of the passage.

Very cool notion. :)

Layla McB

I'm using a lot from Jessica's list of copywork. But there are a few I have that aren't from there.

Ch. 19, Robin Hood

Give ear and listen, gentlemen,

Who are of freeborn blood.

I shall tell you of a good yeoman,

His name was Robin Hood.

That's a quote from the Osborne Medieval Tales - the quote is from the 1400's.

Ch. 33 Cortes and Montezuma

"We are on a crusade. We are marching as Christians into a land of infidels.

We seek not only to subdue boundless territory in the name of our Emperor Don Carols,

but to win millions of unsalvaged souls to the True Faith." – Hernando Cortes

Ch 16 - I have this under Feudalism, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better for ch 19.

Tell him this tale; and from the mouth of England

Add thus much more, that no Italian priest

Shall tithe or toll in our dominions;

But as we, under heaven, are supreme head,

So under Him that great supremacy,

Where we do reign, we will alone uphold,

Without the assistance of a mortal hand. – Shakespeare, King John

From The Story of the Middle Ages by Miller

The Beauty of Constantinople:

"The Eastern Empire, with it's magnificent capital at Constantinople, included Greece, all of Asia Minor, Palestine, and Egypt." pg. 55

OK, now I get what Rose is looking for. Just FYI, if you use this one, please make sure to do "its" and not "it's." Now the apostrophe-obsessed editor will slink back to her little corner... ;)

OK, now I get what Rose is looking for. Just FYI, if you use this one, please make sure to do "its" and not "it's." Now the apostrophe-obsessed editor will slink back to her little corner... ;)

Yes, yes, I put an improper apostrophe in. Of course, it is hard to type correctly when your child is asking you for juice every five seconds. I'll be less hasty next time. :001_smile:

We seek not only to subdue boundless territory in the name of our Emperor Don Carols,

Should this be Don Carlos?

Tell you what: I'm going to shut up now, but if you pull all of this together, Rose, I volunteer to proofread the passages when you're all done. I can't help myself. Editor's disease--horrible!! ;)

Yes, yes, I put an improper apostrophe in. Of course, it is hard to type correctly when your child is asking you for juice every five seconds. I'll be less hasty next time. :001_smile:

Well, next time just use your fifth hand to type WHILE you get the juice, Mommy. ;)

This is the table of contents for Story of the World, Volume II. When a secular passage for copywork is posted in this thread for a chapter, I will cross out the name of that chapter in this master list. I bet we can have a whole copybook done in no time if everyone contributes. As indicated in the thread in which this idea originated (by Kate in Arabia), any Biblical passages or excerpts from religious poetry should be descriptive rather than proselytizing in nature.

Ch 3: Christianity Comes to Britain

• Augustine Comes to England

I found one from what I'm guessing might be a "primary source" by Bede here in Chapter XXV, but I don't know how appropriate it is for elementary-level copywork.

Here's a short quote from the passage below: "In this island landed the servant of our Lord, Augustine, and his companions, being, as is reported, nearly forty men."

And here's the entire chapter (to make your own copywork selection):

CHAPTER XXV

AUGUSTINE, COMING INTO BRITAIN, FIRST PREACHED IN THE ISLE OF THANET TO KING ETHELBERT, AND HAVING OBTAINED LICENCE, ENTERED THE KINGDOM OF KENT, IN ORDER TO PREACH THEREIN. [A.D. 597.]

AUGUSTINE, thus strengthened by the confirmation of the blessed Father Gregory, returned to the work of the word of God, with the servants of Christ, and arrived in Britain. The powerful Ethelbert was at that time king of Kent; he had extended his dominions as far as the great river Humber, by which the Southern Saxons are divided from the Northern. On the east of Kent is the large Isle of Thanet containing according to the English way of reckoning, 600 families, divided from the other land by the river Wantsum, which is about three furlongs over, and fordable only in two places, for both ends of it run into the sea. In this island landed the servant of our Lord, Augustine, and his companions, being, as is reported, nearly forty men. They had, by order of the blessed Pope Gregory, taken interpreters of the nation of the Franks, and sending to Ethelbert, signified that they were come from Rome, and brought a joyful message, which most undoubtedly assured to all that took advantage of it everlasting joys in heaven and a kingdom that would never end with the living and true God. The king having heard this, ordered them to stay in that island where they had landed, and that they should be furnished with all necessaries, till he should consider what to do with them. For he had before heard of the Christian religion, having a Christian wife of the royal family of the Franks, called Bertha; whom he had received from her parents, upon condition that she should be permitted to practice her religion with the Bishop Luidhard, who was sent with her to preserve her faith. Some days after, the king came into the island, and sitting in the open air, ordered Augustine and his companions to be brought into his presence. For he had taken precaution that they should not come to him in any house, lest, according to an ancient superstition, if they practiced any magical arts, they might impose upon him, and so get the better of him. But they came furnished with Divine, not with magic virtue, bearing a silver cross for their banner, and the image of our Lord and Saviour painted on a board; and singing the litany, they offered up their prayers to the Lord for the eternal salvation both of themselves and of those to whom they were come. When he had sat down, pursuant to the king's commands, and preached to him and his attendants there present, the word of life, the king answered thus: * "Your words and promises are very fair, but as they are new to us, and of uncertain import, I cannot approve of them so far as to forsake that which I have so long followed with the whole English nation. But because you are come from far into my kingdom, and, as I conceive, are desirous to impart to us those things which you believe to be true, and most beneficial, we will not molest you, but give you favourable entertainment, and take care to supply you with your necessary sustenance; nor do we forbid you to preach and gain as many as you can to your religion." Accordingly he permitted them to reside in the city of Canterbury, which was the metropolis of all his dominions, and, pursuant to his promise, besides allowing them sustenance, did not refuse them liberty to preach. It is reported that, as they drew near to the city, after their manner, with the holy cross, and the image of our sovereign Lord and King, Jesus Christ, they, in concert, sung this litany: "We beseech Thee, O Lord, in all Thy mercy, that thy anger and wrath be turned away from this city, and from the holy house, because we have sinned. Hallelujah."

Were you wanting quotes from primary sources only?

I have a lot of secondary sources on hand, but for the middle ages I don't really know where to look for primary sources. Actually, I'm not even sure what's considered primary v. secondary. E.g., within the linked Bede document, there are quotes from letters by the Pope....Would those be "primary" and the rest of Bede's narrative "secondary"?

Should this be Don Carlos?

Tell you what: I'm going to shut up now, but if you pull all of this together, Rose, I volunteer to proofread the passages when you're all done. I can't help myself. Editor's disease--horrible!! ;)

LOL, I didn't even catch that. I just copied it from a website with his stuff. That kind of stuff drives me nuts, too. I annoy myself with my sloppiness on the internet :tongue_smilie:

Were you wanting quotes from primary sources only?

I have a lot of secondary sources on hand, but for the middle ages I don't really know where to look for primary sources. Actually, I'm not even sure what's considered primary v. secondary. E.g., within the linked Bede document, there are quotes from letters by the Pope....Would those be "primary" and the rest of Bede's narrative "secondary"?

Okay, kiddo is set up with his chants.

This is exactly the sort of thing we want. I think. There are two other minds involved here. But this looks good because 1) it's from a historical source, 2) it is a good example of serious English, not English dumbed down for kids, 3) it's directly related to the chapter.

A mighty fortress is our God,

a bulwark never failing;

our helper he amid the flood

of mortal ills prevailing.

Martin Luther 1529, hymn 1st stanza A Mighty Fortress is Our God,

translated into English by Frederick H Hedge.

It's hard to find secular stuff with Martin Luther, take it or leave it ;)

A mighty fortress is our God,

a bulwark never failing;

our helper he amid the flood

of mortal ills prevailing.

Martin Luther 1529, hymn 1st stanza A Mighty Fortress is Our God,

translated into English by Frederick H Hedge.

It's hard to find secular stuff with Martin Luther, take it or leave it ;)

I'll take it, thanks.

Chinggis Qahan, born in 1162, fulfilled a need for his people. The many tribes were strong, but lacked a leader to weld them into one.

The Secret History of the Mongols translated by Urgunge Onon, originally written in 1227 AD (for Ghengis Khan chapter)

We used this for Ch. 8: The Tang Dynasty

Cormorant Dike

All at once it dives down through red lotus,

coming out again, flies to cool shores.

It stands alone, its feathers puffed out,

fish in its beak, upon an old log.

-Wang Wei, ca. 699-761

Wang Wei was a favorite poet of the Tang court. This poem is in The Norton Anthology of World Literature.