Menu

So, we just got back from Batman... (vague, no spoilers))

We definitely won't be taking 8yo ds. He'll be very disappointed. I'm just too afraid he'll have nightmares. I haven't decided on 13 yo dd.

I'm not quite sure, along with several other people that I know who have seen it, how this film escaped an "R" rating for violence.

I suppose dh would be glad enough to see it again, so maybe the two of them (he and dd) can go together. I don't have any desire to see it again. I would love for her to be able to miss the previews, though. They were terribly s*xual in nature for being shown before a PG13 movie!!!

I felt like there were several scenes that I didn't quite catch on to what was going on, and that had unintelligible language. That was annoying, but ymmv. I also walked away wondering the intent of the producer on a few areas, and whether some things had been changed due to Heath Ledger's death. I hadn't read anything to that extent in the reviews I read.

I can't say I enjoyed the movie, although lots of people around me seemed to have really liked it. I guess it's just not my type of thing. I mostly spent the whole 2 hours and 45 minutes thinking about Heath. I hope the mother of his children never lets them see that movie!!

I don't mean to be a big drag. I'm sure those of you who commented on how much you liked both the producer and Christian Bale will really enjoy it. Christian did a very good job! The action scenes really were very amazing...they are bigger and badder than ever!!!:)

~Lisa

Dh and the 13 1/2 year old boy just returned home from seeing the movie. My 13 1/2 was scared to death. He brushed it off though but dh privately told me that ds was really scared during the movie. He said if he had known what it was going to be like he probably wouldn't have taken the 13 yr old son. Our younger ones will NOT be going.

Holly

But see, that's pretty much what killed Ledger. *He* said that the role was too disturbing. He had to start taking some kind of sleeping pills because of the nightmares. And those didn't mix well w/...what was it, cold meds?

Anyway, if a role is too scary for the actor in it, I figure it's too much for me!

I am so greatly relieved that my son turned down my husband's repeated invitations to see this movie with him. My husband ended up going alone and he loved it. And he did not indicate that he thought it was too scary for a 13 year old. But he and I judge these things differently anyway.

My hubby wants to see it this weekend - oldest twins, 16, want to go. Alas, one of them is my autism-kid, who tends to run from the room and peek around the corner at anything remotely scary. I told hubby be prepared to sit at the end of an aisle so Joe can hide near the exit and peek at the film. He has been looking forward to this film for so long that it would be hard not to take him...and he would not understand the reason, either.

Me - I will wait for the DVD.

I felt the same about appropriateness for children (even young teens!). They said the only way it escaped 'R' was that the violence was 'bloodless' in that as many people get killed in various ways, you never actually see blood/gore. It really pushed it, though and I was squirming in a few scenes. It's hard to believe this and Crystal Skull (which we took all three dc to, including 8yo) were both PG-13- totally different levels of violence and psychological fear. I was upset by the previews, as well- totally inappropriate for the under-13 set that will obviously be in the audience. Totally.

I usually hate superhero/comic book movies and honestly the only reason I went with dh was because I was intrigued by Heath Ledger's role as the Joker, and it did not disappoint. It was my favorite of the movie by far. As evil as he was, he understood human nature and was the most honest of them all. Yes, he used it for evil rather than good, but you can't say he was a phoney. I was actually rooting for him in a strange kind of way. Characters like Batman bore me to tears- always so righteous and predictable. Bleh.

I'm definitely going to skip it.

The last one with Katie Holmes scared me and kept me up for weeks with nightmares, so I guess I'm easily frightened. :eek: Anyway after that I swore off the Batman series. They can have it . . . it's not for me. Even my son, who I guess was about 13 or so at the time, was scared and frankly, he's fearless. So we're done with the Batman movies.

I guess I didn't realize how dark they were. I was expecting someone along the lines of "Holy Smokes, Batman."

Nothing like that.

I haven't seen it yet but understand it must be really intense... all the reviews, trailers... etc... This thread just confirms it.

So what pops up during Jimmy Neutron? Some cereal with little Batman and Joker figures inside. They've made the figures tiny and cute... totally marketed to little kids.

The Joker is insane, badly and sadly insane. How do you make that a cute kid's toy? How do you then market this movie to little kids who are going to beg their parents to see it? A goodly number of them will not pay attention to any reviews and think, "Hey, Batman, let's take the kids."

Sigh...

I haven't seen it yet but understand it must be really intense... all the reviews, trailers... etc... This thread just confirms it.

So what pops up during Jimmy Neutron? Some cereal with little Batman and Joker figures inside. They've made the figures tiny and cute... totally marketed to little kids.

The Joker is insane, badly and sadly insane. How do you make that a cute kid's toy? How do you then market this movie to little kids who are going to beg their parents to see it? A goodly number of them will not pay attention to any reviews and think, "Hey, Batman, let's take the kids."

Sigh...

The little toy in the cereal box creeped my husband out. He threw it away the moment he saw it.

Sigh...

Thank you thank you thank you. I so totally agree. What's next? Sex in the City diaper covers? Hostel Megablocks?

Sigh...

:iagree: Ironically my son hate "Batman Begins". The only cool part to him was the car. He much prefers the Tim Burton vision of Batman, which I did not like at all.

The appeal of this movie should not be geared toward children. This is the adults Batman. The dark version of Adam West. I had planned on taking our son, until I read the reviews. I don't know now.

is only 11. And, I agree wholeheartedly with Phred here:

Sigh...

Companies should not be marketing this in cereal boxes for kids---just too much temptation for them to beg their parents to see it. Not a good idea!

Aubrey, I also read where Heath Ledger said that the role of The Joker was killing him. We'll be seeing it, but that's pretty creepy, when you think about it.

I saw it last night with my 18 yr old dd. This is not my type of movie so I cannot give it a "grade." I had a hard time following things, especially towards the end - the frames moved pretty fast. I would have to go back and see it again, I guess, to pick up on some of the dialogue I miessed. (I heard the audience laugh several times when I hadn't heard the dialogue.) I personally don't have a desire to see it again, though. I can see how playing a role like this day in and day out could really mess with someone's head and cause them to have difficulty sleeping or with depression. (Heath)