Menu

Chemistry people, help me out?

The friend I've posted about that is very ill is having all of her crowns replaced with what is supposedly a non-metal alternative, however the information still appears to say that the composition of the material DOES contain metal. Help please?

Here is the link to e-max that describes the material: http://www.glidewelldental.com/dentist/services/all-ceramics-emax.aspx

I searched after that for "lithium disilicate" and came up with this link: http://www.dentistrytoday.com/dental-materials/971

In paragraph three under the heading, "What is Lithium Disilicate," you find this: " is composed of quartz, lithium dioxide, phosphor oxide, alumina, potassium oxide, and other components."

Are these metals? It appears to be so, but I can't get a definitive answer. This is extremely important to my friend as her doctors believe that her dental work is either the cause of her illness or is keeping her from responding well to her treatments. Please talk me through this!

As an aside, dh asked this morning if she'd ever had her water tested. Like us, she is on a well.

She should consider Cerec (that may be what it is and you are listing materials). Is she using a holistic dentist? There are tests to find out before getting the work that determine what materials are best to use. Its easily found on google.

She has had the tests but she was questioning everything again. I talked with her today and explained what I could find out. I think it should be fine but she and I both don't have good feelings about this dentist. I would not call him a hollistic dentist but he apparently is listed as one who uses the right method. There are only three dentists anywhere near (and really, they're NOT near) who say they use the correct protocol. Because of her illness and funds, she's stuck with this guy.