Menu

Curriculum that holds your hand without being "schoolish"

kentuckymom

So, dh is starting to recognize that school isn't a good fit for ds. This doesn't mean he'll actually agree to pull him, but the odds are increasing. I've started looking more seriously at curriculum again, and wanted to ask some questions/get my thoughts out. Feel free to comment, make suggestions, etc.

IF I pull ds and start homeschooling at some point this school year, I feel like I'm going to need a curriculum that does some handholding (ie, I don't have to do much planning), but I DON'T want or need a curriculum that approximates public school. I know one of you lovely ladies recommended that, as new homeschooler, I should use something that approximates school. That makes sense when I first read it, but, upon reflection, I think that would backfire on me. School hasn't been a good experience for DS, and I think pulling him out and doing something like, say, Calvert (public school in a box) or Abeka (Christian school in box) would just frustrate him. It would be like doing homework ALL DAY LONG. Believe me, the 30 minutes or so we already spend on homework is quite enough.

So, basically, I need something that's structured but in a different way from public school. This has changed my thoughts a bit on some of the curriculum I liked.

MBTP: The more I look at the samples and scope and sequence, the more I think it looks like a really good, creative version of public school. The topics are similar (in fact, my son's class did one of the exact topics in the Culture unit in first grade), and some of the activity sheets look uncannily like things he brings home from school. I'm sure this curriculum is wonderful for some people, but I don't think it's what we need if we want to break away from school-type learning.

Oak Meadow: The fact that there are only weekly plans makes me nervous, but, more importantly, the more I look at the samples, the more I realize I'd have to do TONS of tweaking in LA and Math. Yes, I know people use OM as a base and do that, but, if I'm going to pay for a full curriculum as a beginning homeschooler, I really want to use the full curriculum. Also, Oak Meadow, being a graded curriculum, seems to expect even advancement in the skill subjects from year to year. Yes, they start slowly, but there's a pretty decent jump from grade to grade. DS just doesn't advance like that.

MFW Adventures: Even though this is the one I was advised against because it's so different from school, it looks the most attractive upon reflection. It's scheduled but not super rigidly. I could use Math and LA that serve DS's needs and not feel like I was missing out on a good portion of the program. I do wonder, though, if it would be better to hold off and consider it for 3rd grade, since I'd be pulling DS out partway through the year.

Curriculum mix: I never really considered this before, but I'm wondering if this would be the best choice if I pull DS out partway through the year. I could use Math and LA that fit his skill level, and maybe double up on science programs since that's his area of strength. This would involve a bit more planning, but if I chose programs well at least each program would be planned for me.

I always favor curriculum mixing if you can manage it, because it is the best way to customize things for your specific child.

It's also a pretty good idea to just deschool for a while when he first leaves, most of the time. That means allow a few weeks of reading, visiting science museums, exploring the outdoors, etc. Limit screen time or anything else addictive, but other than that, give him a lot of freedom. Then introduce studies gradually, one or two at a time.

how old is your ds? You might want to just spend some time at the library lookin up subjects that interest your dc and spend some time "unschooling" for a few weeks and then see what type of curriculum would fit best. Lit based curriculums are great for not having too much of a school feel, HOD, MFW, Sonlight, Ambelside. I would just start with finding what you want to do for LA and math and then work from there.

Thanks, everyone! DS is 7.5, in second grade. I do think I'd need to keep working on LA and Math fairly regularly if/when we pull him out, but I like the idea of introducing content areas slowly. Maybe we could go to the library and just find some science books that appeal to him and start there.

It's also a pretty good idea to just deschool for a while when he first leaves, most of the time. That means allow a few weeks of reading, visiting science museums, exploring the outdoors, etc. Limit screen time or anything else addictive, but other than that, give him a lot of freedom. Then introduce studies gradually, one or two at a time.

Have any of you "deschooled" your kids? Can you speak to what that looks like in a practical sense? We already do a lot of museum visiting, nature hikes, etc on weekends and vacations. I like the idea of giving DS some time to decompress from the stress of school, but, at the same time, I don't want to give him the impression that homeschooling is like year long summer break.

MFW Adventures: Even though this is the one I was advised against because it's so different from school, it looks the most attractive upon reflection. It's scheduled but not super rigidly. I could use Math and LA that serve DS's needs and not feel like I was missing out on a good portion of the program. I do wonder, though, if it would be better to hold off and consider it for 3rd grade, since I'd be pulling DS out partway through the year.

I think doing something completely different from school is a great idea. MFW is a good choice, for the reasons you mention. :)

Curriculum mix: I never really considered this before, but I'm wondering if this would be the best choice if I pull DS out partway through the year. I could use Math and LA that fit his skill level, and maybe double up on science programs since that's his area of strength. This would involve a bit more planning, but if I chose programs well at least each program would be planned for me.

You know, many people do this when they start mid-year, partly because there's an adjustment period when you bring the children home, and trying to jump into something more structured, even if it's not very school-y, can be really defeating. I don't think you even need to describe it as "doubling up" on science programs; you just do as much science as you can fit in. And there's probably not as much planning as you think there will be. Many products allow for doing the next thing.

Have you read The Well Trained Mind? It gave me confidence to pick things out myself that first year. I agree that something too school like could backfire. I had a good first year using wtm recs, even though I changed things around multiple times and am in a different spot now. :D

Also, what aspect of school is a bad fit? That might help people suggest things. For example, I pulled my son because school was too slow. He needed to go his own pace, particularly in reading and math. So in all-in-one program would not have worked well. He needed higher level input with lower level output (writing phobic). Piecing together worked best for us in that situation, where it took some time to figure out where he really was. Now in our third year, I'm able to use Sonlight with him. I still add in my own math, science, and LA. In first and second, we used SOTW for history, and that was easy to use in a way that fit us.

There's a variety of things that are a bad fit.

One is simply the schedule. School is too long. He has to spend the majority of seven hours sitting at a desk. They get 20 minutes for recess, and sometimes he loses his recess because he works slowly and is made to finish his work during recess (which totally goes against the spirit if not the letter of the school's "wellness policy," but that's another subject altogether).

Another thing is that his skills in reading and math are below level, and, while his school groups kids by skill level and he goes to the reading intervention teacher, nothing they're doing seems to be helping him. He really needs individual instruction, and they can't give that to him.

He's made great progress in reading using Barton Reading and Spelling with a tutor, but it's hard for him to add two hours of a week of learning time to the many hours of school. I'd like to just be able to make this part of his school day.

Finally, his school does very little science until 4th grade (when they start testing science). They alternate science and social studies units, and also repeat them with just a small amount of change from year to year. DS, who loves science and has learned a lot from museums, books, movies, etc, is bored during science and social studies time, the one part of the day that his below level skills don't matter so much.

Don't be afraid to mix curriculum. There are a lot of companies that make things for only 1 or 2 subjects that can be great fits for kids. It's also so much easier to match the curriculum to the skill level of your child.

In case it helps, I'll tell you what I do. I look at recommendations here, read what the publisher says about the curriculum, and read reviews on places like homeschoolreviews.com. Make a list of favorites and ones you can rule out. Yes, I do it for each subject. The first year is the most work because after that you can just buy the next year of whatever is working well.

We've really enjoyed HOD for the past 3 years. I don't think it's schoolish at all. We are probably not going to continue with it past this year, but that's only because I'd have to start running three of their teacher's guides at once and that makes me want to:willy_nilly:

I would second reading the well trained mind. It is a good place to start.

History and Science, honestly they can go to the back burner while you get going. Maybe get a fun science kit to do together as you get started. This is a good one, it has a lot of different hands on activities, making snow, etc... Don't worry about teaching it, just have fun. I would not jump into a heavy science curriculum even if he loves science. Experiments, Magic school bus, popular mechanics for kids, a science museum or such the rest of this year.

I pulled my son after 2nd grade. Just focus on Math and filling in the holes you will find. There is plenty of time for everything else. I jumped in with the academics, and then burnt out, so I had to stop and deschool. I wish I had done that first. We did educational things (like the big bag of science) but it got us out of the B&M school mentality. This is my 3rd year and I finally feel like I have found my homeschool groove.

Edited by Northwest_Mama

So will you be continuing the Barton tutoring? That would be great if you could (assuming it is helping your son).

For math, I'd try manipulatives and go back to the beginning if you need to. Is he struggling with concepts or just facts?

I'd also take a look at information on VSL (Visual Spatial Learner) children and see if that fits. If so, it might help you narrow down curriculum choices and teaching methods. My middle son is VSL, and I chose reading curriculum designed for dyslexics (you're already doing that with Barton, so that's good) and I use C-rods for his math to help him visualize the concepts and the facts (many VSL's have trouble memorizing facts, though mine seems to have pictures of C-rods in his head for the addition/subtraction facts... we'll see how multiplication goes, as that's harder to visualize!).

I think focusing on reading and math would be a good idea, but keep lessons SHORT. You say he likes science? Hit the library for science books. Science kits are also a good idea (I've had good experience with Science Wiz kits, which are inexpensive and have several "experiments" to do in each kit). For history, you can just do library books or do something like SOTW and a few related library books. Just keep it light and fun.

I'd not worry about grammar until you have reading firmly in place. There is plenty of time to learn grammar. :) For writing, I'd go with simple copywork of sentences he can read. You can teach capitalization and punctuation in that context.

Keep it simple, and give him a chance to relax and learn at HIS pace. He'll get there. One on one instruction will probably be very helpful to him! And letting him go at his pace can help build confidence. He can look at his own progress instead of comparing himself to other kids.

I think there are a lot of programs, like MCT Language Arts or Right Start Math that are really different from most brick and mortar schools, but which will still hold your hand.

:iagree:

History and Science, honestly they can go to the back burner while you get going. Maybe get a fun science kit to do together as you get started.

I disagree with putting science on the back burner since you said your son likes science. Hit the library for some interesting science books for you two to read and for him to look through while continuing with the Barton tutoring and doing informal math.

Unless you live in a highly regulated state, don't worry about adding in "all the subjects" through the rest of this school year. Read books to him, do math, concentrate on Barton, and encourage him to write (and draw, if he likes that) something he liked or was interested in about science a couple times a week. (He tells you a sentence or two outloud. You write it for him. He copies it down. He can add a drawing or cut out a picture to go with it if he wants. Done.)

Next year is time enough for HOD or MFW. NOEO science, Real Science 4 Kids, or just some science kits would be good to work on eventually. Add that in when you run out of fun science books at the library.

And good luck! :grouphug:

I think what I would do:

Pick a solid math program that will hold your hand and start at the beginning. He's young and you have a great opportunity to go back and set a solid foundation for him. I would probably select something that will line up with public school standards. I really think a good one for him and you might be Math In Focus. Start at the beginning. You don't need the teacher's manual--the text and workbooks are everything needed. It's very solid in it's approach, is easy to teach, has short visual lessons, and appeals to my very different kids.

I'd continue with Barton for his reading and spelling. That would be all my language arts for him other than reading books to him and similar that I'm sure you're already doing. If you need printing work you could do Handwriting Without Tears.

Then I'd focus on science given his interest and that it's something he can be successful with and enjoy. You could certainly explore using the library resources and focusing on his interests or do a formal program if you think he'd enjoy that approach. But I'd definitely make the "extra" in my school day science for him.

If you want history too you could listen to SOTW audios without putting any extra effort into that. I don't think it's necessary.

Heart of Dakota is a good program and certainly holds your hand but it's more of a history focus, it adds a lot of things he doesn't need in my opinion while he does need work in other areas, and I wouldn't pick it for a child strongly interested in science unless I planned to add science to the program. I think I'd feel the same about MFW in your situation.

Edited by sbgrace

You have lots of great suggestions here and I echo most of their sentiments. I wanted to let you know I pulled my son about 1/2 way through 2nd grade, same situation. The days were too long, he started getting behind in writing and spelling and becoming restless with learning. I felt, perhaps, he was getting lost in the weeds but knew he wanted to discover and learn. We also felt strongly that this is what God wanted for our family.

We pulled him out and did the whole "de schooling" as many have suggested. I am so glad we did. It was as if he had to re-learn how to learn. He was so used to just answer this worksheet stuff or just read this textbook. We used FIAR literature and read and used the science suggested with each book. It was nice because I saw his love to learn coming back. I saw him making discoveries.

With mathematics we did a lot of 'drills' and assessments, I needed to truly know where he was. I needed to find out at what skill level I needed to proceed. In some areas I was shocked at his lack of knowledge, things I thought they were teaching (even being an involved parent) and some things I was surprised at his wealth of knowledge. Then, I could customize his education to HIM. I found out his learning style, my teaching style, and curriculum that helped us reach our educational goals. I decided what my educational philosophy is and where I wanted him challenged and where I knew I needed to do some remediation.

Overall, looking back (this was only 9 months ago) I am so thankful that we pulled and 'de-schooled', it helped me to have realistic expectations and it showed him that education doesn't have to be boring with a worksheet and in a desk. I would really recommend it, it was also nice to just re-join the family. We have two younger daughters and we all learned how to be together each and every day and get along and went over what was expected. Then we started with all of our new things in June and it has been going really well.

That's just my two cents! :)

HTH

Also, this year I started with Sonlight and returned it and started piecing things together (perfect fit for us), I still use Sonlight books but have forged my own path in other areas and again, perfect for us.

Edited by SFM

Thanks, everyone! DS is 7.5, in second grade. I do think I'd need to keep working on LA and Math fairly regularly if/when we pull him out, but I like the idea of introducing content areas slowly. Maybe we could go to the library and just find some science books that appeal to him and start there.

That sounds like a good idea. You could do Reading and Math daily. Plus you could do science trips, DVD's, projects etc as time permits. It could be very helpful to his progress and also perhaps fun to have lots of time for his favorite subject. That might get it down to just 3 hours per day--one hour for each subject--or less some days. And that might be deschooling enough without losing ground on reading and so on.

Edited by Pen

Have any of you "deschooled" your kids? Can you speak to what that looks like in a practical sense? We already do a lot of museum visiting, nature hikes, etc on weekends and vacations. I like the idea of giving DS some time to decompress from the stress of school, but, at the same time, I don't want to give him the impression that homeschooling is like year long summer break.

I agree with this and received the same advice recently when returning my oldest to home-schooling. I am grateful that we slowed down and am cherishing my time with her now.

If you go with an out of the box curriculum, there is a program called home school basic planner. Essentially it allows you to schedule and track assignments etc...so no matter what curriculum you use, I have found that it keeps me on track. I schedule a week at a time...the download for basic is free. I don't know if it would be worth keeping it otherwise.

:D Good luck.

Edited by kerryfrank73

Since MFW appeals to you, you might also want to look at Heart of Dakota (www.heartofdakota.com). There are a lot of similarities, but I found HOD's format easier to follow. We have also found it easy to substitute our own math, handwriting & science.

:iagree:

We used HOD for the first few years, and I'm thankful we did. I also think HOD is similar to MFW but superior for a number of reasons.

I think Fiar for awhile with math and reading at his level would be a nice fun way to start.

I'm glad to "hear" that suggestion, because the variety inherent in FIAR is really appealing to me. We'd get in some art (his favorite "special" at school), some science, some language arts, and some social studies, without needing to do a full program outside of Math and Reading.

I've heard conflicting reports about how planning-heavy FIAR is. Does it just depend on which activities you choose to do?

I forgot to mention as well that there's another child in the mix - a toddler girl (currently 20 months) who's already ramping up to the terrible twos :). One attraction I have to homeschooling is that the kids, being six years apart, are basically having separate childhoods. I'd really like them to get to know each other better. DD loved summer break and really misses "brother" now that he's back in school. She does have a tendency to eject chaos into our days, however.

All that said, FIAR might actually be a good fit for this season. DD adores being read to, so she just might join us for that part of homeschool.

Also, if I were to use FIAR, do you recommend a particular volume? I've read that volume 4 is good for older kids, but I have absolutely no experience with it (clearly, since I'm not homeschooling :)), so I'm very open to hearing other views.

I'm glad to "hear" that suggestion, because the variety inherent in FIAR is really appealing to me. We'd get in some art (his favorite "special" at school), some science, some language arts, and some social studies, without needing to do a full program outside of Math and Reading.

I've heard conflicting reports about how planning-heavy FIAR is. Does it just depend on which activities you choose to do?

I forgot to mention as well that there's another child in the mix - a toddler girl (currently 20 months) who's already ramping up to the terrible twos :). One attraction I have to homeschooling is that the kids, being six years apart, are basically having separate childhoods. I'd really like them to get to know each other better. DD loved summer break and really misses "brother" now that he's back in school. She does have a tendency to eject chaos into our days, however.

All that said, FIAR might actually be a good fit for this season. DD adores being read to, so she just might join us for that part of homeschool.

Also, if I were to use FIAR, do you recommend a particular volume? I've read that volume 4 is good for older kids, but I have absolutely no experience with it (clearly, since I'm not homeschooling :)), so I'm very open to hearing other views.

I have two younger daughters and when we started they were 3 and 2 and we used FIAR altogether and it was a PERFECT ease into homeschooling. We started with Vol. 3 actually, because my son was 1/2 through 2nd grade. Although, looking back now I can see that it didn't necessitate that I do that. It CAN be planning intensive but not if you don't want it to be. That's what I loved, I could add in or just skip things according to my fancy. :) We really enjoyed it and plan to do all volumes with my daughters, the book selections are perfect and I like adding in based upon what book we are reading so things connect easier.

I became best friends with the library and printing off things from the computer. It was perfect for our family. I hope you find what works best for you and yours.

I have two younger daughters and when we started they were 3 and 2 and we used FIAR altogether and it was a PERFECT ease into homeschooling. We started with Vol. 3 actually, because my son was 1/2 through 2nd grade. Although, looking back now I can see that it didn't necessitate that I do that. It CAN be planning intensive but not if you don't want it to be. That's what I loved, I could add in or just skip things according to my fancy. :) We really enjoyed it and plan to do all volumes with my daughters, the book selections are perfect and I like adding in based upon what book we are reading so things connect easier.

I became best friends with the library and printing off things from the computer. It was perfect for our family. I hope you find what works best for you and yours.

Thanks for the review!

So here are my current thoughts after you all helped me think through some things.

Priority #1 Decide which Math program would be best for DS as well as how to supplement/support the reading instruction he'll already be getting with the Barton Tutor.

Priority #2 Decide what content to add, whether science, FIAR, or some combination.

Priority #3 Start looking at potential full year programs for third grade. Perhaps I'll be able to make it to a convention in the spring where I can compare HOD and MFW in real life.

I think I'll start a spinoff thread re: reading and math ideas.

No matter what curriculum you go with try to incorporate the little one into your school day. Our three year old does basic things with the older ones. The two year old scribbles in her own notebooks and plays with math manipulatives. The baby even gets to join in by banging large pattern blocks around while sitting in the high chair. The days when they are not included don't go well.