Menu

If this is a rupture from an ear infection it is actually a good thing that dried blood along with gunk came out. Any pain should be minimal now and you'll be fine.

Now if it is from something else, let your doc know this afternoon what happened.

That's what i thought. I was fine on saturday. It started hurting pretty bad yesterday and today. I'm worried how much, if at all, this likely rupture messes with tube placement.

Nasty infection in both ears. Left is so nasty and blood filled that she has no idea what's wrong other than infection. It's likely ruptured because of the blood. She wants me to stick a cotton ball in it and protect it until the ENT appointment. Oral antibiotics but no kind of drop because again, she can't see what's wrong. ENT will be able to remove the tube and gunk and get a better look.

Nasty infection in both ears. Left is so nasty and blood filled that she has no idea what's wrong other than infection. It's likely ruptured because of the blood. She wants me to stick a cotton ball in it and protect it until the ENT appointment. Oral antibiotics but no kind of drop because again, she can't see what's wrong. ENT will be able to remove the tube and gunk and get a better look.

If you call and tell the ENT what happened, will he or she get you in sooner? My ENT got me in on the same day as a new patient when I said my ear drum had ruptured and I didn't like the ER doctor's recommendation.

Antibiotics have helped big time! Neither ear hurts anymore, but my left is still bleeding and leaking.

My experience with local doc is just to beg for help, after of course figuring out what to beg for. I really hope this new ent will be a DR and tell me what we should do.

I am a bit nervous about the appt because both kids will be with me. I had a sitter for ds, but dd has stayed with her a few times, and each time something questionable happened. Nothing terrible, but enough that i dont want my limited language kid there alone. I may be able to find someone else.

No scabs, and not much pain. I'm pretty sure the ear drum ruptured last night, because there's blood on my pillow.

Local ENT wanted to see what happened when the tubes came out... Well here's his answer!

I had multiple ruptures in one of my ears that were helped a lot with a tube. But it was only one part of the solution. Years of allergy and sinus problems had resulted in chronically inflamed sinuses. Once I had the sinus surgery to route out the inflammation, I was good to go. Otherwise I'm sure I would have been back on the ear infection cycle again in no time.

It had better be as bad as she says. The warning on the antibiotic is pretty bad. Besides the normal stomach upset, it says it can cause diarrhea to continue weeks to MONTHS after it's stopped! :glare:

This doesn't sound too fun.

Florastor is a probiotic my doctor recommended to me to use while taking antibiotics to prevent that misery. Because its a probiotic yeast, not bacteria, it isn't affected by the antibiotics. http://florastor.com/ Once the antibiotics are done, you add a good broad-spectrum bacteria probiotic to replentish the good bacteria killed off by the antibiotic. Your local health food store probably has several, or you can order off Amazon (could be cheaper).

I have a nasty bug!

The ENT was awesome all around. My right ear is fine. It could have been fine the whole time (common with my ears), or the antibiotic cleared it.

My left ear is nasty looking in a way the he was concerned enough to culture it! When it comes back, he may have to add a different med (he's thinking MRSA).

He said there's not much point going crazy trying to figure out why i need the tubes. Most likely the eustacian are just too small and not functional. It can't be fixed. He also said i have small nasal passages which is why i'm a mouth breather.

Solution to this all- schedule surgery for a monday next month. Use longer t tubes so they stay in longer.

I would like to learn how to tolerate this without being sedated. I almost freaked at the thought of suctioning my ear today! Lol. If i can learn to tolerate it, its a very quick in-office procedure. This set is going in while completely and totally unaware and knocked out cold! It takes longer to be knocked out than the actual procedure.