Menu

Outside activity issue.

We have never done regular outside activities but it was my idea to get our 10yo involved in swim team. I think she needed something extra to do since she is SO high energy. Well this is bringing up a bunch of issues for me and I'm trying to figure it out. Dh and dd are going absolutely crazy with this swim team thing, talking about her being in the Olympics, wanting to go to every meet and every practice, even the weekend practices that are optional and mainly for the older kids, etc. I was thinking she would go to the T, TH practices and the meets when they are close by. No big deal. But she and dh are frantic about every little part of it. My dad was bipolar so anytime people get all manic and frantic about something it makes me very uncomfortable and maybe this is related? Dh thinks I am not being supportive. That being said, I AM very thankful for the extra time they are getting together and the fact that they are bonding more, etc. I think that is WONDERFUL. I don't know why this is bothering me? None of the boys are involved yet, and I guess I would rather this not take over our lives? Maybe I'm just not used to the outside activity thing yet and this is always how it is?

Welcome to the world of competitive swimming. :001_smile:

There is a clear reason my blog is called, "Swimtaxi" because we are forever heading to a pool for practice and/or meets. Plus now that our children are playing competitive water polo, they are in two different pool 3/5 swim days a week.

If your daughter has found a passion, let her enjoy it, especially since it is something that she is sharing with her Daddy.

You might think about getting some of your boys in the water too. A TIRED boy is a happy boy (at least in this Momma's opinion :D).

Can swimming (and other sports) take over your life? YES! Will swimming take over your life? Probably, but it is a healthy sport with great families.

Send me a PM if you ever get overwhelmed.

Well, our family is a bit obsessed too. I think it is pretty normal when you have a sport you enjoy. Now, as for practice...with summer league (which this obviously isn't!), it is normal to go to pretty much every practice. For year round at 10 yo, 4 times a week is fairly normal. 5 isn't completely overdoing if it is at the child's insistence. Just make sure that it is coming from her, not the coach, not dad. Many kids do want to attend every practice. If she is on a good team, not in winning/in how they run practices, it is highly likely to happen. Every meet is a good idea. Unless something else is going on, of course!

I think it is excellent for her to have something she is passionate about. This might help the issue you were having with her negativity, KWIM? If she found something that she loves, nurture that. You may find that it gives her confidence and her good attitude about it will spill over.

It's a good thing.

I agree that it's good to have kids have a passion for something. It's Rebecca and gymnastics here and I think it does her a world of good. I'm actually a bit fretful that Sylvia doesn't have a "thing" yet.

That's kind of where I'm at with my son. He is not really in to the typical boy sports.

I think you are nervous because you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. If your husband has shown tendencies similar to your father's, then I would probably worry too. If he doesn't, then I would completely relax and worry about all the "what ifs" later. Let them enjoy their new found hobby. Is this the same daughter you've been having behavior issues with? If yes, then maybe swimming will help her. Maybe? I don't know, but maybe :001_smile:

I think you are nervous because you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. If your husband has shown tendencies similar to your father's, then I would probably worry too. If he doesn't, then I would completely relax and worry about all the "what ifs" later. Let them enjoy their new found hobby. Is this the same daughter you've been having behavior issues with? If yes, then maybe swimming will help her. Maybe? I don't know, but maybe :001_smile:

:iagree: If this is giving her a positive outlet for all that energy, I'd go with it and let her go to town with it! It's probably really great for to have an outlet all on her own without her younger brothers. She's just at the right age for it! Kudos for finding her something! :D:grouphug:

Thank you all. After my initial freak out I had a great morning with the boys and I'm feeling better about it now even though dh and I had a huge fight and he completely lost his mind for a minute. :001_huh::confused:

But I'll just go with it. I do think it's good for her to have something. The jury is still out on whether it will help her overall though. I hope so!!

The older your kids get, the more activities they will have, until you find yourself living in your car. For about four or five years, all I did was drive kids back and forth to their sports/dance/art/music lessons, etc. Has it paid off? You bet, my two oldest both got full ride scholarships to college based on their outside activities, and my dd has made a career out of hers. So all that taxi time was worth it. :D. For now...kiss your free time goodbye!

Thank you all. After my initial freak out I had a great morning with the boys and I'm feeling better about it now even though dh and I had a huge fight and he completely lost his mind for a minute. :001_huh::confused:

But I'll just go with it. I do think it's good for her to have something. The jury is still out on whether it will help her overall though. I hope so!!

On the positive side...In most swim families, most/all of the kids in the family swim. They generally are all able to go to the same place for practice at roughly the same time. No driving all over town! The kids tend to enjoy having their siblings on the same team. They are together, but not. I have seen more precious moments where big sister or little brother get so excited or are so proud of their siblings at meets; it is just incredible to watch the bonds! And, most teams will have a considerable sibling discount to help keep those fees for activities lower. That is always a nice plus!:D