Menu

If FLL is mind numbingly dull...

We LOVE Easy Grammar but I don't think it starts until grade 2. We didn't use formal grammar in 1st and just focused on basic capitalization & punctuation rules.:) Third grade is the first year we've used a formal program and I'm really glad we waited. I'm not really sure what other programs are geared towards that grade level though.

Hmmmm, how about MCT? We are grammar nerds at our house, so we do both FLL and MCT. You would get a lot out of doing Grammar Island and Sentence Island and the Practice sentences. The practice sentences are great because they reinforce al lthe concepts of GI and SI but they don't "feel" repetitive. DS thinks MCT is really fun :)

When we do FLL, I skip a LOT of the repetition, since we do a lot of that on our own, in context as we are doing MCT or other work. But I do think the material is presented clearly, and she does cover some stuff that MCT does not (like comma usage, days of the week, commonly confused words). Maybe you could do what we do and just skip the FLL stuff that you don't need.

I had the same issue. We spent about 3 weeks on FLL1 (finishing the book) in first grade, then went through half of FLL2, then finally found that 3rd grade is where grammar starts to get interesting. We're using KISS now.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably just teach some basics and let grammar be for a while. My son picks grammar up so easily that he doesn't really need to repeat grammar every single year. We could have spent our time on other things or just let him go play instead.

In 1st I did not do formal grammar. We just work on puncuation etc. They are not writing enough at this point.

2nd grade I did FLL3 with DS. It is so painfully slow and repetitive that I just go through as slow/quick as needed. You can speed up or go as is, and IMO that is just perfect for first grammar study. As written it is very sloooowwww, and some kids need that. If not, just tone down the repeats and work faster. Then after one year of some more formal grammar I am now doing MCT. I am actually doing this with both DS and DD. It is going very well. IMO MCT works better if you yourself are very grammar confident. The first time around I was NOT, so I went with FLL. I was not taught formal grammar in school so I had no clue how to teach it. Now I do and we love MCT.

We're going through FLL 1 at a faster pace (about four months), then I plan to just use Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing and review some of the things we learned in FLL for the rest of the year. For 2nd grade, we'll either jump to FLL 3 or switch to something different entirely.

My first grader is grasping the grammar concepts in FLL1 easily, and the repetition is killing us both. I'd like another grammar program that is just grammar (we're happy with everything else), basic enough for first grade, but that can be accelerated a bit more easily. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting! We're using FLL and the repetition is getting some eye rolls around here. :tongue_smilie:

I looked at FLL the other day. I just can't see using something so scripted. I hated OPGTR too.

Do WWE etc have scripting too? I only have internet on my phone so it is hard to read long documents.

Edited by kiwik
forgot the main point

YES! The same thing happened to us, so we switched to Shurley English--also very repetitive, but lots of grammar in the first year.

Ironically, after a couple of months of Shurley (lots of grammar and lots of sentence analysis which is what I wanted), we are missing the literature-based approach in FFL, so I just ordered FFL2 to supplement. I missed the poetry, capitalization rules of titles, and the memorization component.

We got through FFL1 so quickly that I think FFL2 will be a nice complement to the very dry but very thorough grammar introduction that is Shurley.

Good luck!

If you have not liked FLL or OPGTR, you will not like WWE. It is written in the same style. Lots of scripting.

But the concepts used in WWE could be adapted across other subjects to remove the scripting.

In regard to FLL, we completed FLL 1 and 2 during 2nd grade after removing ds from ps. We found they had not tauight anything worthwhile so started from the beginning. We easily finished in a year, leaving us on track, and completed multiple lesson each day we did grammar and skipped over points that he had proven he knew. FLL 3 and 4 were heavily scripted but quick, painless, and did the job.

Since FLL5 is on hold we moved to Hake 5 which continues from a different angle and allows ds to move toward taking personal responsibility for his own work.

Jim

Jim

We are actually really liking WWE. It is one of DD's favorites.

Interestingly, I was mentioning this tonight to my mom (who has taught 1st grade) and she thought that the beginning of 1st grade was really early to teach nouns? And here I was thinking that week after week after week of nouns ;) was a little unnecessary.

After thinking that we would NEVER get to the end of FLL2 (and actually barely skimmed the last 40 lessons), we are LOVING FLL3. I really, really, love it.

I looked at FLL the other day. I just can't see using something so scripted. I hated OPGTR too.

Do WWE etc have scripting too? I only have internet on my phone so it is hard to read long documents.

If you have not liked FLL or OPGTR, you will not like WWE. It is written in the same style. Lots of scripting.

I disagree, WWE (the workbooks) is not scripted the same way at all. In WWE, there is copywork (not much explanation needed for that), dictation (some scripting because you're repeating the sentence) and narration (she gives you questions to ask, the answers to these questions help the student to form a narration).

FWIW - I did not like OPGTR, I *liked* FLL 1 and 2 with plenty of my own modifications, I LOVE FLL3, and I like WWE (I modify the dictation).:D

I sound like one of those people who rates a recipe and then goes on to talk about the 20 changes I made to the recipe.:tongue_smilie:

Ok, I think I may just take a more organic approach to grammar for now then, and skip formal grammar for a year or two. Thanks for the advice!

Are you confident in your grammar knowledge? If you do not need a grammar book in order to identify the parts of speech, it is quite simple to teach grammar w/o a text. This is how I approach grammar w/my kids and I still consider it "formal grammar." I incorporate grammar and writing instruction together. It is a method that works well for us.

I purchased this bk http://www.amazon.com/Whos-oops-whose-Grammar-Anyway/dp/1567315763/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top for what I thought would be a fun way of reviewing grammar w/my 8th and 11th graders. I find it sad in a pathetic sort of way that we had to skip to the middle of the book in order to find anything that was even remotely worth reviewing. :tongue_smilie: So, the organic approach can provide solid instruction.