Menu

Advice on teaching division (I'm using R&S 3)

Love Home

I’m about to start teaching division for the first time and want to start off on the right foot. Which would be a better way to teach, for example, 12/3=4. Would you teach (1) that twelve divided into three (equal) groups is four in each group or (2) twelve divided into groups of three each is four groups. I’m using R&S 3 and they teach it as 12 divided into three parts (groups) equals four (in each group)(like #1 above). I feel more comfortable with #2 but I really am nervous about teaching it a different way than the book since I’m not too good at math.

Any advice? For those that used R&S 3, did you teach it according to the TM instructions? Thanks! :001_smile:

Isn't it the same thing? Twelve divided by three is three equal groups of four. We used manipulatives to see the process. I wouldn't stress to much about the language, as long as you introduce the process that division is moving from a whole ( the Dividend) to a part (the quotient) and that the groups being made must be equal. My dds seemed to understand no matter how I phrased it. We use SM, btw.

I taught both at the same time, but probably spoke your first option the most. My older kids used piles of 2x2 Lego bricks and acted it out. From the beginning I showed them both methods. I have a DD currently using that 3 book, and this is my fourth time teaching third grade math.

That said, you won't go wrong just blindly following the R&S instructions. If it's currently only teaching one of two common ways to do something, it will circle around and get the other one in time. You can trust those teacher manuals. :001_smile:

Thanks for the replies. I will show her both ways and then stick to R&S's way of explaining. Sometimes I really stress over how to teach math because I don't want my dd to be lost in math like I was. It was division that left me behind in school (esp. long division) and I didn't catch up until college. In fourth grade I went to a horrible public school (I mean HORRIBLE). I'm not sure if I learned anything. Anyways, I never learned what division really was in school - I was just taught how to find the answer (eventually :tongue_smilie:).

Thanks for the replies. I will show her both ways and then stick to R&S's way of explaining. Sometimes I really stress over how to teach math because I don't want my dd to be lost in math like I was. It was division that left me behind in school (esp. long division) and I didn't catch up until college. In fourth grade I went to a horrible public school (I mean HORRIBLE). I'm not sure if I learned anything. Anyways, I never learned what division really was in school - I was just taught how to find the answer (eventually :tongue_smilie:).

We've used R&S Math since grade 1 and are currently in the grade 5 book. I love the TM and as the others have said, you definitely can trust them. For the sake of consistency, I agree that it would be a good idea to follow their instructions. I will recommend, however, that you supplement the division lessons with manipulatives, as they seem to help solidify the concept. (Chocolate chips were a big hit around here. :)) The manipulatives are especially helpful when teaching division with remainders.