Menu

How to use Hakim's The Story of Science?

Jennifer

I am preparing to pull my 7th grader out of public school. She was homeschooled for the early grades and then went to public school for 5th and 6th grades. Not a great experience, to say the least. So I have been re-reading TWTM and getting ready.

I like The Story of Science and would like to use it with Anne. What is the best way to do that? I don't want to plan too much and then fail. But I don't want to expect too little.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Jennifer

Edited by Jennifer
grammar

Jennifer,

Are you interested in using it with a history focus or as a science program?

If you are planning to use it for history, I would use it just like any other history text. Read, discuss, take notes, write, add dates to timeline, ect.

If you want to use it as a science program, I suggest you use the Quest Guides. Here is a review I've written that covers what the Quest Guides includes.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/02/teacher-and-student-quest-guides-for.html

There is a lot of extra stuff in the teacher quest guide, but I actually found it too much. It's very classroom-organized... if I could devote several hours a day, I would totally use both the textbook and quest guide. But for us, just the textbook works well. We started Aristotle about two years ago when we were studying the ancients and I realized that SOTW didn't mention anything about scientific or philosophical though. We're now half-way through the Newton book and usually use it as a supplement to our history. I think it could totally be a full curriculum. Because we started it pretty young, I imagine doing it a second time around in a few years. It's one of my favorite series.

We are using this currently.

There is a teachers's guide...and I highly recommend, though it was the more expensive of the books to purchase, it was well worth it.

We typically read to each other, work through the text and the workbook - utilize the quote for discussion (we have not yet started doing the experiments).

It is very historically rich...had I known how comprehensive the material was I may have just purchased this as a complete curriculum (adding math only). The teachers manual has expansion exercises for every subject.

At the end of each chapter, in addition to the quest guide, Sarah picks the idea that resonated the strongest, writes a sentence or two and draws a picture in her sketchbook...

I hope this helps...we love it.

Jennifer,

Are you interested in using it with a history focus or as a science program?

If you are planning to use it for history, I would use it just like any other history text. Read, discuss, take notes, write, add dates to timeline, ect.

If you want to use it as a science program, I suggest you use the Quest Guides. Here is a review I've written that covers what the Quest Guides includes.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/02/teacher-and-student-quest-guides-for.html

Miss Moe, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate this comprehensive review! I'm looking forward to using these books next year.