Menu

Who wants to play find Amy a new hairstyle tonight?

Alright Secret WTM Agents - Tuesday I'm going in for a hair cut, my first in a while. I'm not too stylish of a gal and the last hair cut I got was based on a picture someone here recommended for me. I liked it but then it grew out and I'm back to a lot of long straight hair. I've posted a picture of me to give you an idea of my hair, this was six months ago so my hair is longer now. It was hard to find a picture of me that showed my hair because I'm a pony tail queen.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to follow the below listed criteria and suggest a hairstyle that would look rocking on this middle aged gal.

Criteria:

• I want to keep it longish. At least so I can do a ponytail occasionally.
  • I've got a non-skinny face so keep that in mind with suggestions.
  • Something wild and crazy like bangs would be cool but I would want them long enough to bobby pin back for non-glamorous days.
  • The hair is THICK and STRAIGHT.
  • I'm lazy and only know how to work a hair dryer and flat iron. DD can help me do roller occasionally but not her favorite thing to do. :001_smile:

PS I now realize that dress was way too low cut to wear to Mass but I didn't realize it at the time. I'm an engineer. Fashion and style are not my strengths.

PSS Click on the image and it'll get bigger so you can actually see what's going on.

post-10984-13535087690701_thumb.jpg

post-10984-13535087690701_thumb.jpg

This is the second one you linked and so far it's my favorite.

Gina+Gershon+Shoulder+Length+Hairstyles+Medium+Mm_fFGWXZn7l.jpg

I like how the bangs are long and swoopy. Do you just have to get used to them in your eyes?

No suggestions for the hairstyle, but just wanted to say, your photo looks great. Middle-aged? No way.

Thank you! That totally made my night. :001_smile:

Thick and straight hair. Sigh. So many people would kill for this, but for those of us who live with it, it is the bane of our existence.

I went super-short for a long time to avoid the cocker-spaniel look. My hair is so thick and heavy that it just lays there when it is long. You must, MUST have layers. Lots and lots of layers. My hair is now between my chin and shoulders. Because I have so many layers in there, I basically wash, dry, and go. With layers (tons and tons of layers), if you're feeling sassy, you can run a straight iron through your hair and flip the ends. Super cute.

I really like the picture you picked. I never realized how much body my hair would have if I just parted my hair an inch to the left (or right if you want). I like the swoops bangs. And they don't really get in your eyes unless your part is way, way over to one side.

Thick and straight hair. Sigh. So many people would kill for this, but for those of us who live with it, it is the bane of our existence.

I went super-short for a long time to avoid the cocker-spaniel look. My hair is so thick and heavy that it just lays there when it is long. You must, MUST have layers. Lots and lots of layers. My hair is now between my chin and shoulders. Because I have so many layers in there, I basically wash, dry, and go. With layers (tons and tons of layers), if you're feeling sassy, you can run a straight iron through your hair and flip the ends. Super cute.

I really like the picture you picked. I never realized how much body my hair would have if I just parted my hair an inch to the left (or right if you want). I like the swoops bangs. And they don't really get in your eyes unless your part is way, way over to one side.

And that amount of effort would be awesome. I can do that. I can even do an occasional sassy day.

This is the second one you linked and so far it's my favorite.

Gina+Gershon+Shoulder+Length+Hairstyles+Medium+Mm_fFGWXZn7l.jpg

I like how the bangs are long and swoopy. Do you just have to get used to them in your eyes?

Thank you! That totally made my night. :001_smile:

I have long, swoopy bangs and I love them WHEN they are trimmed. Unfortunately, my hair grows fast and they are too long sooner than I'd like. My stylist always tells me to just drop in and she'll trim my bangs, but that isn't likely to happen with our schedule :tongue_smilie:. Because I go in when my bangs are too long, I go in with the intention of telling her to make my bangs shorter and across my forehead. She trims them up and suddenly I feel sassy, and French, and leave them :D. Yes, you do get used to having flirty little head tilt because you're looking around your bangs sometimes.

I have thick, wavy hair and have to concur that if your hair is thick, LOTS OF LAYERS are your friend. It makes such a huge difference! If I don't get layers, my hair takes on the shape of a bell. Heavy and flat on top and curly and wavy at the ends. Blech.

This would be a great cut for you. Go for it! Are you coloring, too?

Because I have so many layers in there, I basically wash, dry, and go.

Really?

I got mad at my hairdresser two years ago when she suddenly chopped very short bangs while talking on the phone with someone else -- NOT what I wanted. I have just let it grow out and occasionally chop some off the ends. I am thinking it's time for a real cut, but layers always seem like a pain because I never, ever spend hours styling as directed. Hmm.

I have long, swoopy bangs and I love them WHEN they are trimmed. Unfortunately, my hair grows fast and they are too long sooner than I'd like. My stylist always tells me to just drop in and she'll trim my bangs, but that isn't likely to happen with our schedule :tongue_smilie:. Because I go in when my bangs are too long, I go in with the intention of telling her to make my bangs shorter and across my forehead. She trims them up and suddenly I feel sassy, and French, and leave them :D. Yes, you do get used to having flirty little head tilt because you're looking around your bangs sometimes.

I have thick, wavy hair and have to concur that if your hair is thick, LOTS OF LAYERS are your friend. It makes such a huge difference! If I don't get layers, my hair takes on the shape of a bell. Heavy and flat on top and curly and wavy at the ends. Blech.

This would be a great cut for you. Go for it! Are you coloring, too?

I used to color my hair for fun but the upkeep was a bit more than I can handle. Right now I'm doing good to get a hair cut once every 6 to 8 months let alone dying my hair! :001_smile: Someday when I'm rich with lots of free time I might get some highlights.

Thanks for starting this thread. I also need a new haircut and have been looking without success.

Do you mind if we both get this haircut?! :D

LOVE IT!

Yay! We'll look so cute, won't we! I'm going under the scissors on Tuesday so I'll post pics when I get back. Feel free to post some before and after pics of your new cut too.

No help with hair suggestions I'm afraid, but just wanted to say how beautiful your little family looks in that photo - and I think your sense of style is perfect, even for mass :tongue_smilie:.

I'm also getting my hair cut on Tues for the first time in six months; I know already it'll look boring, neater and more manageable, but boring.