Menu

My kid hates non fiction. So what do I make him read

justLisa

DS hates fiction. So he says. He finds the strangest things to read. He reads programming books on purpose. He finds books in DH's office about technical stuff. I just need him to read a freaking book with a plot, KWIM?

I don't know what to give him. I have a million books and he says he doesn't want to read them. He is fine with me assigning a book and will read it but says he didn't like it.

So, if you had a too serious 8.5 year old boy who was born an old man, what would you ask him to read? He can read just about any level

Edited by 425lisamarie

I'm having the same issue with DS10. I've resorted to covering fiction with audio books at the moment. He enjoys this and will happily engage in coversation about the story. He will read the fiction I assign, but he drags it out forever and says he hates it. He will not pick up a fiction piece on his own.

Maybe someone will come along with an idea we can both use!

So you mean to say he hates fiction, not non-fiction?

Have him read biographies, or books about great journeys or scientific discoveries. They are true, but can be written like a work of literature.

It is not uncommon for boys to prefer non-fiction. I'd let him - at this point, reading is all about expanding vocabulary and improving reading competency.

Have him read biographies, or books about great journeys or scientific discoveries. They are true, but can be written like a work of literature.

It is not uncommon for boys to prefer non-fiction. I'd let him - at this point, reading is all about expanding vocabulary and improving reading competency.

:iagree:

Oops sorry that's what I meant. I'll go edit. Thank you for catching that.

THat is a good suggestion. DH told me he used to like to read about famous explorers. Trouble is he never read a book in English until he was a teen so it's not much help LOL

DS hates non fiction. So he says. He finds the strangest things to read. He reads programming books on purpose. He finds books in DH's office about technical stuff. I just need him to read a freaking book with a plot, KWIM?

I don't know what to give him. I have a million books and he says he doesn't want to read them. He is fine with me assigning a book and will read it but says he didn't like it.

So, if you had a too serious 8.5 year old boy who was born an old man, what would you ask him to read? He can read just about any level

:lol: Sorry, no suggestions, I'm only laughing because ds would love to get his hands on some programming manuals too. Will he read Make Magazine? Or Calvin and Hobbes?

:lol: Sorry, no suggestions, I'm only laughing because ds would love to get his hands on some programming manuals too. Will he read Make Magazine? Or Calvin and Hobbes?

He will read magazines. Calvin and Hobbes he says "eh, I guess it's ok, not really my thing but I'll read it if you want me too." :001_rolleyes:

I told him today, "Look, I need to get to the next part of the IEW curric and it assumes you are capable of reading a book with a plot..." he says well I'll read something if you want me to just tell me what. Poor kid. He's like a 45 year old man trapped in a kid's body. He will basically do whatever I tell him as he thinks my word is some gospel. I just don't want to force him to read things he doesn't like since he is so easy.

My son is only 6, but he's the same way. I'm trying to come up with ways to get him interested in fiction, but it's just not happening. He LOVES anything science or history, the more textbook style the better.

Have you thought about joining a Book Club?

We recently joined a Homeschool Book Club at our library, and they are reading this book. Because there are other kids reading/enjoying the book with him, I'm hoping it will spark an interest for more.

My DS resists reading different types of fiction to different degrees. His favorite stuff to read is nonfiction, with tons of little fiddly details to memorize, like books of Star Wars/Star Trek ship schematics, Warhammer and video game manuals. He does like fiction series about adventurous kids, though, and books with a lot of action, technology and science. Some he's latched on to have been the Kane Chronicles, Tom Swift books, Animorphs, Spy Gear, George's Secret Key to the Universe, and more Star Wars and Star Trek novels. He likes the writing style in the Star Wars/Star Trek books for teens and adults a lot more than the kid stuff, so I have to screen them a little bit for appropriateness before he gets his hands on them, though.

Most of the fiction he reads on his own time isn't great literature but that's ok with me, I save "the good stuff" for read-alouds and he doesn't seem to mind. Unless it's fairy tales. That's cause for revolt, apparently.:glare:

Edited by jar7709

I have the opposite problem with my 7 year old. I get books that blend fiction and nonfiction like Andrew Lost, the Martha Speaks chapter books, the Flat Stanley Worldwide Adventure books, the George series by Stephen Hawking and the Magic School Bus chapter books.

I was just thinking that that might help. Try it. Start with the least fantastical tale - the most down to earth tale you can find for your middle aged little man ;) - and go from there.

Two of my boys have preferred non-fiction. I think this is because the don't like the feeling at the beginning of a book--that I don't know what's going on and who these characters are feeling. Neither of them have had the patience for waiting for the story to unfold. For this reason, I think they preferred non-fiction. Non-fiction books are written starting at the beginning of the story. Characters are introduced simply, details appear when they are pertinent to the story, etc. There's no jumping in in the middle like you do with a fiction story.

I got them hooked on fiction by reading the beginnings of easy stories to them. I would answer (practically all) of their questions with, "just wait, we'll find out in a little bit." Once they're hooked and know who the characters are, they find it easier to read the fiction.

My dd hates fiction as well, but we listened to the audiobook of Harry Potter and she was hooked.

Maybe try that approach with something that he is interested in? Maybe he would really get into science fiction if you can find a good story that has lots of programming jargon in it.

I could have K recommend/talk up stuff to him. :lol:

K likes programming books too, but he also likes fiction. He has some specific favorites.

Yes, do that LOL.....I actually told him K likes some certain books. I have no clue if he does but I just blurted it out. He said "oh really?" So that's better than previous attempts.

I told him to look up Percy Jackson and he said it looks dumb. Oh brother.