Menu

Literature analysis 3rd grade

Arcadia

My boys are with a virtual academy so we are using K12 Literature.

However I am just wondering how do people do literature analysis at that age.

My third grader likes to read the entire book in one seating. We are doing The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and he read cover to cover. The problem is that the homework is split by chapters.

So regardless whether you homeschool or after school, do you ask your child to stop and discuss after a few chapters or let your child finish the book and ask all the questions?

DD reads books on her own that she doesn't have to discuss. However, we do have a selection she has to slow down in, reading 1-3 chapters a day (some out loud) and always discussion/oral narration after. Once a week she does my a homemade worksheet (describe the setting, predict the ending, character connections, etc.) basically just to keep her fresh with thinking about characters, setting, and plot as she reads.

Then at the end of each book (4-6 weeks) we try to do either a formal or creative book report.

Unless it's something really short, my kids don't read a book in a single sitting, so there's always a chance to talk about it, whether it's a read aloud or something they're reading independently. We don't have any hard and fast rules about it. I like book conversations to happen really organically.

Unless it's something really short, my kids don't read a book in a single sitting, so there's always a chance to talk about it, whether it's a read aloud or something they're reading independently. We don't have any hard and fast rules about it. I like book conversations to happen really organically.

:iagree: I think they get more out of it when it's a conversation as opposed to scripted questions. I check in while they are reading, and we have an in depth conversation with a written assignment at the end (only for certain books, not for everything they read).