Menu

GWG 1 and WWW 1 question

lotsofpumpkins

Are these intended to start after a child has finished learning to read, or can you still use them even if they are still working on it? I have a child who is officially in K this year, but since he'll be 6 this month, he is using 1st grade materials for phonics. He is learning long vowels right now. I generally just focus on learning to read in 1st grade (and math, of course), and save grammar/writing for starting in 2nd grade. I would imagine once he's in 2nd grade materials for phonics/reading, he'd be ready for GWG/WWW 2. Does that seem right? So, does that mean that GWG/WWW 1 are meant to be used even before they are finished learning to read? Should I just plan on skipping GWG/WWW 1 (if I end up going with these programs)?

I would disagree with you. My ODD was reading at 4, my middle daughter at 3. However, I started them both at GWG1 (WWW wasn't out for my eldest at that point, so she started WWW2 and GWG2 at the same time), probably at age 5. While we do plenty of teacher intensive programs (MCT, for example), a big attraction of the JacKris materials is that they're completed independently by the student.

I would disagree with you. My ODD was reading at 4, my middle daughter at 3. However, I started them both at GWG1 (WWW wasn't out for my eldest at that point, so she started WWW2 and GWG2 at the same time), probably at age 5. While we do plenty of teacher intensive programs (MCT, for example), a big attraction of the JacKris materials is that they're completed independently by the student.

I don't really understand your response. I was asking if GWG/WWW 1 are intended to be started by dc who are still learning to read. Many dc are still learning to read in the 1st grade/age 6. I would say that your dc are the exception, not the rule. A program that is meant to be completed independently isn't going to work so well with a child who can't read it. That's why I was asking if it's better just to skip level 1 and pick it up with level 2 once they are in 2nd grade and reading fluently. Or is there some value in going ahead and doing level 1 even if they aren't reading/writing fluently yet? (Obviously in that case the parent would have to read it to the child.)

I think it's pretty much go in at grade level. If the child is not reading directions easily you can just go over the instructions together. It's pretty easy.

I don't know what you are looking for in a writing/grammar study. These are sort of public schooly busy work type workbooks. I don't mean that as bad as it sounds but really I do not think a very young child will get out of these books as much as something that is more scripted and teacher intensive.

I DO think you would be fine doing them though, if your child is reading say, early readers.

Edited....Ok sorry I think I misread at first. He is just learning long vowels? If he is not reading simple sentences yet then you will have to do this with him. You can always re-assess in the middle of the year or once you have completed phonics and are reading some

I think WWE1 could be done with a child who is not reading, but is able to do copywork. If you choose to wait and start WWE in 2nd, they have a placement test on their website. I started WWE1 with my 3rd grader who is an excellent reader, but wasn't able to answer the narration questions. We plan to do levels 1 and 2 this year. I think with my next 2 I will start in 2nd grade with WWE1.

I don't know about GWG1 as we don't start grammar until third, but you can easily start GWG at current grade level - i.e. we started GWG3 in grade 3 with no prior grammar experience.

I don't really understand your response. I was asking if GWG/WWW 1 are intended to be started by dc who are still learning to read. Many dc are still learning to read in the 1st grade/age 6. I would say that your dc are the exception, not the rule. A program that is meant to be completed independently isn't going to work so well with a child who can't read it. That's why I was asking if it's better just to skip level 1 and pick it up with level 2 once they are in 2nd grade and reading fluently. Or is there some value in going ahead and doing level 1 even if they aren't reading/writing fluently yet? (Obviously in that case the parent would have to read it to the child.)

You said that you "would imagine once he's in 2nd grade materials for phonics/reading, he'd be ready for GWG/WWW 2." I disagreed. A 2nd grade reading level does not necessarily equate to a 2nd level in the JacKris materials. Hence, my example of my older girls who were reading at much higher than a 1st grade level when they began the 1st level of JacKris material.

IMO, the materials were intended for the child to do the work independently. Therefore, it follows that the child should be reading at a basic enough level to do the work alone. If that doesn't happen until he's 7. As homeschoolers we're free to not pick curricula solely on listed "grade" level.

You said that you "would imagine once he's in 2nd grade materials for phonics/reading, he'd be ready for GWG/WWW 2." I disagreed. A 2nd grade reading level does not necessarily equate to a 2nd level in the JacKris materials. Hence, my example of my older girls who were reading at much higher than a 1st grade level when they began the 1st level of JacKris material.

IMO, the materials were intended for the child to do the work independently. Therefore, it follows that the child should be reading at a basic enough level to do the work alone. If that doesn't happen until he's 7. As homeschoolers we're free to not pick curricula solely on listed "grade" level.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I just couldn't figure out which statement of mine you disagreed with.

Don't know about WWW, but I think GWG1 would work better w/ a reader. It's still early in the year. I'd suggest maybe waiting just another couple months and then re-evaluating. I think that spending dedicated time on learning to read saves you lots ot itme in the long run as they start to be able to do more work on their own.

(We have done GWG1 & 2 kiddos and are currentlu on GWG2 w/ kiddo #2)