Menu

Why did the girl get 99 years while Sandusky got 30?

:rant:

Our justice system confuses me! The girl who glues her child's hands to the wall to beat her own child was wrong! But she got more time than Sandusky! I get the crimes are different. I get there were different judges, but ugh! I am not saying both don't need jail time, but Sandusky could, in theory, get out before she does. He habitually targeted multiple children, she lost it. Both crimes are horrific! He should never get out. Never.

You may go back to your regularly scheduled Homeschool day.

I am not familiar with the mom story.

My shot in the dark guess as to why:

It is usually considered more heinous to harm your own children.

Did she kill her child? Bc murder is usually considered more heinous than sexual abuse.

For either or both of those, I would expect her to get more than Sandusky.

Well, in addition to the fact that Sandusky is old and there probably wasn't as much urgency to give him a longer sentence (plus the previously mentioned issues of different judges/venues), Sandusky is/was famous and somewhat powerful/influential and I assume had the money to hire a good legal team to defend him. I'm guessing the mom in question was appointed a public defender. Plus, while Sandusky's crimes were vile and horrible, he didn't put any of his victims into comas or almost kill them.

IMO the Mother's sentence makes complete sentence. She did the following to a TWO year old for potty issues:

"Escalona's other children told authorities their mother attacked Jocelyn due to potty training problems. Police say she kicked her daughter in the stomach, beat her with a milk jug, then stuck her hands to an apartment wall with an adhesive commonly known as Super Glue.Jocelyn suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, a doctor testified. Some skin had been torn off her hands, where doctors also found glue residue and white paint chips from the apartment wall." http://news.yahoo.com/mom-gets-99-years-prison-gluing-tots-hands-160458042.html

She was very pregnant when she did that. She has to be mentally ill. Has to be.

Those children are going to be a foster family's nightmare. Or grow up with the grandmother who raised their mother. There is an intense history of abuse. Those poor kids.

Edited by LibraryLover

She tortured that child, almost to death. She didn't snap. This goes far beyond a snap. The judge gave her a much longer sentence than the prosecution even asked for. I think that he was appalled beyond belief at what she did, as I am. I also think that the sentence will likely be reduced on appeal. And this just happened, there are 5 children in the family, and they are all still fairly young. So it's 'fresh' so to speak.

Sandusky will be in prison for the rest of his life, no question.

I don't see a problem.

Sandusky is 68 and has a host of medical problems, and is a high profile child predator entering the prison system, soon to no longer be in solitary, and not eligible or early release.

You can't really keep him much longer than dead, which I am sure he will be in prison, with a minimum 30 year sentence. This is not a guy who will be setting world records for longevity.

she has a history of drug abuse and gang affiliation as well. One o the big differences is the state in which they were convicted. I think that woman deserves every minute of her punishment.

I do agree that she deserves the sentence. I wouldn't argue with a harsher sentence for Sandusky, although at least he's pretty much guaranteed to be in for the rest of his life.

Read to the end of story, they said they believe that this woman was abused as a child. And they left the children to this woman's Mother... Not saying her Mom was the abuser, but should they try to figure that out before handed all 5 kids to this possible abuser?

Read to the end of story, they said they believe that this woman was abused as a child. And they left the children to this woman's Mother... Not saying her Mom was the abuser, but should they try to figure that out before handed all 5 kids to this possible abuser?

Yeah. Some kind of genius going there. :/

I am okay with different people getting different judgements. I think what a community and those actually in the courtroom think should affect the judgement vs a hard and fast Crime A = sentence B.

I don't care if she was abused. That's no reason to nearly kill her own toddler and the judge noted she has no remorse.

There really are no standards. She should be in jail a significant amount of time, but 99 years seems excessive given typical sentences for injury that doesn't result in death and Sandusky got a light sentence for what he was convicted of.

Well I think 99 years is stupid for anyone bc it never is actually 99 years. Parole in 30 most likely.

I'd rather they give an honest life or a set 30 than 99.

:rant:

Our justice system confuses me! The girl who glues her child's hands to the wall to beat her own child was wrong! But she got more time than Sandusky! I get the crimes are different. I get there were different judges, but ugh! I am not saying both don't need jail time, but Sandusky could, in theory, get out before she does. He habitually targeted multiple children, she lost it. Both crimes are horrific! He should never get out. Never.

You may go back to your regularly scheduled Homeschool day.

Well, our news had a legal analyst that talked about Sandusky's sentence and his thoughts were that:

1. the judge wanted a concrete timeline. 30-60 years as opposed to 'life' or '99', neither of which are particularly realistic (though I don't see a problem with them).

2. at 30 years, Sandusky will be 98 - and that's his FIRST chance to even consider getting out. The likelihood is that he will never get out of prison.

I don't really see it as a bad thing, the way the judge did it in Sandusky's case. I kind of see it as sort of a mind game with Sandusky.

Well I think 99 years is stupid for anyone bc it never is actually 99 years. Parole in 30 most likely.

I'd rather they give an honest life or a set 30 than 99.

I was at a courthouse for a school project and I slipped in to a courtroom as a man was being sentenced for 225 years-life. :huh: After it was over the lawyers shook hands and one asked the other if that was the biggest sentence they had ever dealt with.

I have no problem with the mom's sentence. Apparently, other news articles indicate that the mom tortured her daughter previously (2 week old bruises and evidence of burns from nail polish remover being used to remove older glue). Almost every inch of the girl's body was covered in bruises and there was evidence that she superglued the toddler's eyes shut. She was on probation for abusing her other kids, and had only recently regained custody.

Prosecution offered 45 years; defense wanted only 10. It's Texas. The defense made a bad gamble and infuriated the judge who felt a need to make an example of an egregious re-offender.

I have no problem with the mom's sentence. Apparently, other news articles indicate that the mom tortured her daughter previously (2 week old bruises and evidence of burns from nail polish remover being used to remove older glue). Almost every inch of the girl's body was covered in bruises and there was evidence that she superglued the toddler's eyes shut. She was on probation for abusing her other kids, and had only recently regained custody.

Prosecution offered 45 years; defense wanted only 10. It's Texas. The defense made a bad gamble and infuriated the judge who felt a need to make an example of an egregious re-offender.

I didn't hear that evidence. :crying: That is horrible. She deserves the sentence.

I know Sandusky probably won't get out, I still wish he had gotten more. Not because of the differences in the two cases, but because he deserves it.

Eta: I hope that mom's children are given a good life, and by the grace of God never remember those things. Bless that little baby's heart. I am hearing my sweet little ones upstairs giggling. Thinking of someone hurting them in that way makes me want to puke.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

IMO the Mother's sentence makes complete sentence. She did the following to a TWO year old for potty issues:

I cannot tell you how many angry parents/boyfriends of mothers I have read about who have killed or nearly killed children because of potty training accidents. It is one of the most disgusting phenomena I can imagine. Why would someone imagine a two year old WOULDN'T pee or poop on the floor occasionally?

I think people put a special onus on parents to care for their children. Also, rather strangely, harming one is often psychologically more "offensive" to onlookers than a long list of victims. One becomes numb to the horror somehow.

Google all the female teachers who were recently caught with students, most of them got a slap on the hand. Woman normally get less time for sexual crimes. I personally think that is disgusting. Sandusky is old, there is very little chance he will ever get out.

There's a case in Oklahoma right now that's not the case. A 5th grade teacher had sex with her daughter's 16 yo boyfriend and another 16 year old guy and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. She's not eligible for parole for 13.5 years. She was never a teacher to either of the guys or had any authority over either of the boys. Some women don't get a slap on the wrist - they get get hit hard by the legal system too.

Sandusky is 68 and has a host of medical problems, and is a high profile child predator entering the prison system, soon to no longer be in solitary, and not eligible or early release.

You can't really keep him much longer than dead, which I am sure he will be in prison, with a minimum 30 year sentence. This is not a guy who will be setting world records for longevity.

Yeah, once he is in the general population he won't last long. They have their own justice on the inside. I'd be surprised he last more than a couple years.

Yeah. Some kind of genius going there. :/

I am okay with different people getting different judgements. I think what a community and those actually in the courtroom think should affect the judgement vs a hard and fast Crime A = sentence B.

I don't care if she was abused. That's no reason to nearly kill her own toddler and the judge noted she has no remorse.

Absolutely. I hate it when people trot out that excuse.

I cannot tell you how many angry parents/boyfriends of mothers I have read about who have killed or nearly killed children because of potty training accidents. It is one of the most disgusting phenomena I can imagine. Why would someone imagine a two year old WOULDN'T pee or poop on the floor occasionally?

As a parent of a 9yo who has been toilet learning since age 1 but still soils himself several times a day and often refuses to clean himself, I can understand how this could happen. Not condone, but understand.

I have times when I'm not feeling well physically and emotionally, and I feel like I just can't cope with one more day of cleaning poop of clothes, walls, floors, the toilet, the kid. There are days when I feel like my life is one big toilet, and even though I know it is a medical condition, I sometimes get irrational and blame my child. I have 'lost it', started yelling at him and told him he was disgusting.

I was able to control myself again, and I apologized and took steps to avoid this happening again, so it didn't end in tragedy. But I have had a relatively privileged upbringing, I haven't been effected by drugs, alcohol, abuse, etc, and I live in comfortable circumstances. I have a supporting partner, other people I can talk to, and the ability to access counselling and other professional assistance with parenting issues and anger management. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to face the challenges I do with the background that some of these parents have.

Is there anybody who has never ever said or done something to their child that they later regretted?

It's not an excuse. There isn't any excuse for abusing kids, ever, no matter what they do. But it's an explanation. And I think it's tragic that intervention only happens in the form of punishment after something unthinkably awful has happened. Why was a mother in her mental state and with a drug addiction even looking after five children on her own in the first place?

If there is a rhyme or reason to sentencing lengths in this country of a vast number of vastly different jurisdictions, I haven't seen it.

Gender, race, class, the laws in the particular area, the quality of legal counsel, the mood of the judge etc all add up to a whole lot of variation in sentencing. And with the exception of bias or unreasonable laws (longer minimums for non violent drug crimes in some cases than sentencing ranges for sexual assault, harsher sentences for certain drugs than others etc), I think that is fine. Juries and judges should decide, not a list of minimums or dry statutes. The judge and jury have a better read on the case and defendant than any news audience or legislature could.

Edited by kijipt

I cannot tell you how many angry parents/boyfriends of mothers I have read about who have killed or nearly killed children because of potty training accidents. It is one of the most disgusting phenomena I can imagine.

It's been pointed out in many studies that PT is one of the top triggers for child abuse - even in parents who have no known history of abuse at all. It's a stressful time and if parents believe their children are "being lazy" it can aggravate the situation. I've even seen posts on this forum where a parent has said their 2-3 year old is just being lazy and I've seen other's suggest giving them a cold bath or shower to "make them not be lazy" :001_huh:

It took 6 months to PT my first child. It made me beyond crazy and at times I lost it and yelled. I had unreasonable expectations and society telling me she "should have been trained by now - you must be a lazy mother. It added to the stress.

I was a lot easier on my 2nd child and with my 3rd -well he is past 3 and still not potty trained and I don't even care. He has accidents and I just say well lets clean it up - it doesn't phase me now because I know we will get through it - just like the other 2 not matter how long it takes.

It's even worse if your child is a poop smearer - cleaning it off walls and carpets and bedding and toys every day can really get you good and mad. :glare:

I am not saying at all this is an excuse to abuse your child - but it isn't like it's a suprise that its potty training that set it off.

Escalona is only 23. She has 5 children. What helL has she experienced in her short life?

I am not condoning. What she did is horrible. She has never known a decent life and never will, and I doubt her children will escape her past, or fare much better, even with her in prison.

It's all tragic.

Edited by LibraryLover

The child in question was TWO YEARS OLD. TWO.

Not nine.

Not five.

TWO.

She beat her with a lamp.

She superglued her hands to the wall.

She kicked her in the stomach.

Bones were broken.

The child barely survived.

Other children witnessed this while it was going on.

This is beyond egregious.

It is evil.

It is torture.

The judge was right.

As a parent of a 9yo who has been toilet learning since age 1 but still soils himself several times a day and often refuses to clean himself, I can understand how this could happen. Not condone, but understand.

I have times when I'm not feeling well physically and emotionally, and I feel like I just can't cope with one more day of cleaning poop of clothes, walls, floors, the toilet, the kid. There are days when I feel like my life is one big toilet, and even though I know it is a medical condition, I sometimes get irrational and blame my child. I have 'lost it', started yelling at him and told him he was disgusting.

:grouphug: That does sound very frustrating.

However, all the children I've read about who've been killed/nearly killed during toilet training were about 18-24 months old, and certainly under the age of four.

Some other incidents from this year include D'Andre Lane, who was convicted of fatally beating his two year old daughter after an accident in Detroit, Kesha Grant of Florence, SC who was convicted after having poured scalding water down her three year old daughter's pants after she urinated in them (she died a week later from infections from her injuries, for which she was not taken to the hospital), Chasity Renee DuFour in Seattle who is accused of beating her boyfriend's three year old son until he had a brain hemorrhage and temporarily went blind, and Janice Anthony, who strangled her three year old daughter in Fort Worth, TX.

There are also a fair number of incidents involving the abuse of the elderly or handicapped, who often also require assistance in toileting. The sort of "grind" of years and years of care of people who, unlike most toddlers, will not ever be able to take care of themselves (or not again), is a different problem, which certainly deserves attention, to help caregivers and diffuse anger and fatigue, but it is a separate one, I think, from the care of "normal" toddlers and dealing with the normal stresses of everyday life.

Women also receive longer jail sentences for their crimes than men in a lot of 3rd world countries. Even when it is the man who commits the murder.

Compare women who kill their husbands v. men who kill their wives. Plus men usually get out sooner because the jails are more crowded for men.

I've looked at a lot of child abuse cases and it's amazing how different the sentences can be for horrific crimes, often including murder. Usually if a man tortures and kills his girlfriend's kid, he gets very little jail time. A mom usually gets the most.

Not that I feel sorry for a woman who beats her child to death. It's not easy to kill a human. It usually involves a long pattern of doing things most of us could not imagine doing at our worst parenting moment. Like punching your child in the stomach so hard that her internal organs are severed. Or bending her so much that her back breaks. And then not seeking medical attention because you know you'd be in for it.

The woman who glued her kid's hands to the wall was that kind of mom. The gluing was bizarre but, by itself, was nothing compared to the beatings. Horrible. I only wish that everyone who would do such things to a child, repeatedly, would get a life sentence.

I was able to control myself again, and I apologized and took steps to avoid this happening again, so it didn't end in tragedy. But I have had a relatively privileged upbringing, I haven't been effected by drugs, alcohol, abuse, etc, and I live in comfortable circumstances. I have a supporting partner, other people I can talk to, and the ability to access counselling and other professional assistance with parenting issues and anger management. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to face the challenges I do with the background that some of these parents have.

Is there anybody who has never ever said or done something to their child that they later regretted?

It's not an excuse. There isn't any excuse for abusing kids, ever, no matter what they do. But it's an explanation. And I think it's tragic that intervention only happens in the form of punishment after something unthinkably awful has happened. Why was a mother in her mental state and with a drug addiction even looking after five children on her own in the first place?

It's been pointed out in many studies that PT is one of the top triggers for child abuse - even in parents who have no known history of abuse at all. It's a stressful time and if parents believe their children are "being lazy" it can aggravate the situation. I've even seen posts on this forum where a parent has said their 2-3 year old is just being lazy and I've seen other's suggest giving them a cold bath or shower to "make them not be lazy" :001_huh:

It took 6 months to PT my first child. It made me beyond crazy and at times I lost it and yelled. I had unreasonable expectations and society telling me she "should have been trained by now - you must be a lazy mother. It added to the stress.

I was a lot easier on my 2nd child and with my 3rd -well he is past 3 and still not potty trained and I don't even care. He has accidents and I just say well lets clean it up - it doesn't phase me now because I know we will get through it - just like the other 2 not matter how long it takes.

It's even worse if your child is a poop smearer - cleaning it off walls and carpets and bedding and toys every day can really get you good and mad. :glare:

I am not saying at all this is an excuse to abuse your child - but it isn't like it's a suprise that its potty training that set it off.

:iagree:

What this mother did was horrible. But it makes sense to me that people would lose it during the potty training stage. It can be awful. I don't even attempt to train my kids anymore until I KNOW they are good and ready, my last potty trainer I kept changing his diapers until he was 4. My almost 3yo could probably be trained into the potty, but I'm not going to go there for awhile. It's too frustrating.

I understand the impulse but my gosh. Have you all read the specifics? If a stranger did this, we would probably all be after the death penalty or at least life in prison.

The two year old was beaten with a lamp. She was kicked in the stomach repeatedly. She suffered a broken rib. Her bruises were so bad that they were almost unbearable to view. Her hands were superglued to the wall, and skin ripped off of them. She was brought to the hospital in a coma and it was unclear whether she would live. This is SO extreme.

Mike McQueary walked in on Sandusky anally raping a ten-year-old boy. To this day, we don't even know how many young boys this human being has had his way with, or how many boys he has used as his personal seman bank.

In early September, he was indicted on 40 counts of sex crimes against young boys.

On December 2011, he was charged with an additional 12 counts of sexual crimes against children.

Now here is a methodical, smart, and very sinister human being. For years, he used his organization to target his victims.

According to Wikipedia, "On the second day of trial, "Victim 1", the youngest of Sandusky's alleged victims, testified to over 20 incidents of abuse, including unwanted and forced oral sex, by Sandusky during 2007 and 2008 while the boy was a participant in Sandusky's Second Mile program. The boy was 11 or 12 years old when the sexual abuse started.[69][70] Mike McQueary, former Penn State graduate assistant football coach, testified that in 2001 in a Penn State locker room, he heard "skin on skin" slapping sounds coming from the showers. McQueary testified that he then saw Sandusky naked behind a 10- to 12-year-old boy propped against a shower wall, with "Sandusky's arms wrapped around the boy's midsection in the closest proximity that I think you could be in."

This human being even sexually abused one of the beautiful little precious boys that he adopted.

68 years old or not, what Sandusky did in a span of 40+ years (three men came forward and said he sexually abused them back in the 70's) is a lot worse than what this young mother did.

On another note, my belief is that men like Sandusky (men in high places) rarely receive harsh prison sentences because there are other men like him.

Men who have NOT been caught, and may never be.

I understand the impulse but my gosh. Have you all read the specifics? If a stranger did this, we would probably all be after the death penalty or at least life in prison.

Statistically, had this been done by a non-related male, he would likely get a lighter sentence. Women who get the harsher sentences are mothers who hurt their own kids. There are exceptions. Women tend to get lighter sentences for most murders (not of their kids) and criminal conspiracies where the bias is that the woman was going along with her husband or boyfriend.

I don't really have a problem between this & Sandusky as he should die in prison.

To me, the problem with Sandusky's sentence is the message it sends. 30 years for what he did? It just sounds light--and I think that sends a message to our society that what he did wasn't really all that bad. Yes, he'll likely die in prison, but I do think the number of years makes a difference to the victims and to the rest of us. It's like the weight of his crime isn't all that heavy. (I view it like something that is sold for $99.99 sounds significantly cheaper than something sold for $103.99. There is little difference, but the numbers impact us differently psychologically.)

Well, in addition to the fact that Sandusky is old and there probably wasn't as much urgency to give him a longer sentence (plus the previously mentioned issues of different judges/venues), Sandusky is/was famous and somewhat powerful/influential and I assume had the money to hire a good legal team to defend him. I'm guessing the mom in question was appointed a public defender. Plus, while Sandusky's crimes were vile and horrible, he didn't put any of his victims into comas or almost kill them.

:iagree:

Plus, it sounds like there might be further charges/cases to come against him. He also is now a registered sex offender and even if he does get out of jail at 98 will have to follow all those rules.

I think it also comes down to hard and fast proof. There are lots of things that all add up to the fact that Sandusky is a sexual predator. No doubt in my mind, or the juries, or judges. However, nothing hard and fast. No DNA, no smoking gun so to say. The mom however, there are doctor reports, and an admission of guilt.

She was very pregnant when she did that. She has to be mentally ill. Has to be.

Those children are going to be a foster family's nightmare. Or grow up with the grandmother who raised their mother. There is an intense history of abuse. Those poor kids.

I saw she might have been abused, but I didn't see where they said her mother was the abuser. I did read that the mother is the one who found the two year old and got her help. The mom also testified.

To me, the problem with Sandusky's sentence is the message it sends. 30 years for what he did? It just sounds light--and I think that sends a message to our society that what he did wasn't really all that bad. Yes, he'll likely die in prison, but I do think the number of years makes a difference to the victims and to the rest of us. It's like the weight of his crime isn't all that heavy. (I view it like something that is sold for $99.99 sounds significantly cheaper than something sold for $103.99. There is little difference, but the numbers impact us differently psychologically.)

That makes sense.

I still can't believe Sandusky's refusal to acknowlege any wrongdoing. In his letter to the judge, he describes a vast conspiracy and a web of lying and false accusations, including by his own son. He actually had the audacity to compare the ordeal he's been through to that of Rwandan Holocaust survivors. Absolutely vile.