Menu

Because of my sugar avoidance, I'm the rain on my family's parade.

Can someone help me come up with an alternative?

Because of my health and weight, I'm consciously avoiding sugar. And sugar substitutes. I'm doing pretty well from breakfast through lunch, but the afternoon munchies are tough.

I'm not imposing my restrictions on my kiddos because, even though I think it would be best, dh isn't on board.

He's a dear, but it isn't on his radar.

He will go shopping for something and come back with a carton of ice cream. "Isn't this your favorite?" :tongue_smilie: It's the thought that counts, right?

Sometimes he'll have a stressed day at work and call from the car, "Hey, let's take the family for ice cream!" or "Want me to pick up a dozen doughnuts?"

These are occasional things and it's never been an issue before. I guess it's our family habit -- to jump in the car and pick up a treat to eat at the park and blow off steam.

The thing is, I can't think of an alternative to take the place of this kind of activity in our family's life. Somehow, "Let's go pick up some carrot sticks and broccoli" isn't appealing . . .

Not even to me. :tongue_smilie:

If your family eats clean, what is an impromptu treat?

P.S. I have had this discussion with him. He understands. He isn't attempting to undermine my efforts. It's just habit. I don't want to embarrass or disappoint him with my wet blanket -- just to have something else to suggest when that urge strikes.

I know you said you are avoiding substitutes but does that include real food substitutes like honey, stevia and maple syrup? Depending on your answer to this there are LOADS of real food deserts you can make together to satisfy the sweet cravings that are really good for you.

My dh has been very supportive of my food choices when I told him I was going to do Whole30 (no sugar, no dairy, no grains for 30 days). Maybe it would help your dh see how serious you are if you did Whole30 also? The point of Whole30 is to reboot your metabolism and switch from burning sugar to burning fat. The no sugar (or honey or maple syrup, etc.) rule is to help you retrain your habits to not dive into a bucket of ice cream when you're bored or upset. I'm on day 13. Days 5-8 were HARD, but I'm onto smoother sailing now. The sugar cravings were the hardest ones to kick. I still get cravings sometimes. Fruit helps. So does eating more protein and fat. :)

Can someone help me come up with an alternative?

Because of my health and weight, I'm consciously avoiding sugar. And sugar substitutes. I'm doing pretty well from breakfast through lunch, but the afternoon munchies are tough.

I'm not imposing my restrictions on my kiddos because, even though I think it would be best, dh isn't on board.

He's a dear, but it isn't on his radar.

He will go shopping for something and come back with a carton of ice cream. "Isn't this your favorite?" :tongue_smilie: It's the thought that counts, right?

Sometimes he'll have a stressed day at work and call from the car, "Hey, let's take the family for ice cream!" or "Want me to pick up a dozen doughnuts?"

These are occasional things and it's never been an issue before. I guess it's our family habit -- to jump in the car and pick up a treat to eat at the park and blow off steam.

The thing is, I can't think of an alternative to take the place of this kind of activity in our family's life. Somehow, "Let's go pick up some carrot sticks and broccoli" isn't appealing . . .

Not even to me. :tongue_smilie:

If your family eats clean, what is an impromptu treat?

P.S. I have had this discussion with him. He understands. He isn't attempting to undermine my efforts. It's just habit. I don't want to embarrass or disappoint him with my wet blanket -- just to have something else to suggest when that urge strikes.

Could you all go out for warm pretzels or nachos? I know, still not healthy :P We don't shop at whole foods on a regular basis, but for a treat, we'll go, get some of their ice cream or bulk snacks (nuts, dried fruit, chips, or anything else) and eat it in a park or wherever. That way, DH and DS can have their sugarfest while I eat something healthier.

I also limit my mentioning of how unhealthy their treat is. I use my best judgement on whether to mention it or not, and also try my best to not feel left out. I would go with them on their ice cream/treat adventure, but maybe only have one bite of DH's ice cream, if that. I'd make sure that they know that I'm having fun just being with them and that it's ok if they eat all of that sugar in front of me, I like to see them have fun.

I have to say no to things because of Weight Watchers but since this is something that is so very important to me, I've been mostly successful finding something else for me. Go ahead and bring home those donuts or ice cream, I'll have one of my own treats. If we went somewhere, I'd get a diet drink while they had stuff I didn't want. It lets me still participate with the family but not compromise my choices. I always keep treats that I can have and that doesn't have to be desserts. Some things I love are baked sweet potatoes, fresh bread, raw zuccini and squash, and bananas (frozen are so delicious!).

I think the other ideas are great. But why does it even have to be about food???

When we blow off steam we head to the bookstore and everyone gets a new book. We let the kids pick out new sticker books or a small toy. Or we go pick a science kit to do together. Or we go play mini golf. Or we head to a great park with a bike trail. My hubby doesn't bring me flowers or chocolates.......he brings books. Smart man!! ;)

Because we have a child with food allergies we've tried to find things that don't have anything to do with food. Otherwise, that child would forever be left out of everything. So, can you start some new traditions that don't involve food?

Can you find other fun family things about something else? That's what has helped us with the food allergies because it's depressing how many things we can no longer eat.

Thanks for asking this question.

I don't have any great advice, but I just wanted to let you know that we have this exact same problem at our house.

It seems like we are always wanting to go out for ice cream to celebrate something or other. Even if it has been a rough day, we still end up going out to get a treat to try to perk everyone up.

I think that it is especially hard because $1 ice cream cones at McDonalds are cheap and easy. I need some other ideas that allow us to get out, aren't outdoors (after dark), are cheap, and don't involve junk food.

It's hard!

I usually go along with it and just have iced tea or just enjoy the kids enjoying a treat, you know? There's a self-serve frozen yogurt place where we go occasionally, and I'll skip the yogurt and just get a little fresh fruit and nuts from the topping bar. That way I'm enjoying a "treat" with the family without compromising. Other times, I can have an iced tea while they have a treat.

I'm confused as to why you are wanting to avoid sugar yourself, but it's still ok for your kids? We cut sugar at our house in Jan. and it's been family-wide. If you ar avoiding sugar for health reasons, why are you still telling your kids it's ok? Sounds like a mixed message to me. I think you need to find some new ways to blow off steam . . .that don't involve food.

Food allergies here, too, so we made the adjustment to non-food or specific foods for that reason.

Little celebrations, like wanting to pick up donuts or something like that - DH wanting to bring home a treat or grandparents wanting to bring a goodie - moved to non-food items. Balloons, and el cheapo party supplies from the dollar store can make any dinner fun (though not environmentally friendly, I know). DH also moved to making treats we could all eat for us... It was the sweetest thing to see my non-cooking hubby baking up a storm to make us all comfort food that was safe and healthy for all of us. He's now a much better cook than I am! We make our own steamers at home with our wonderful cappuccino maker, but you could come up with another type of hot drink treat. DH really got into making us all yummy drinks - that was his thing for a while, and he spent hours watching youtube videos on it. I have had caps with all kinds of art work now :001_wub: and the kids have had all kinds of artistic hot chocolate.

We do a lot of park visits with new outdoor toys - kites, discs, boomerangs, whatever.

Walks with our dogs. New music.

Pack up a picnic and go fishing. Take a hike. Go to a park. Go kite flying. (that's what we do)

Change the reward into something that is not food, and something where you will have a shared, fulfilling experience that builds up your relationships.

Also, I bake things all the time for my family, and I don't partake, so it's not like they are going without because I can't, you know?

Is there something decadent that you can prepare for yourself so you can join them on these occasions? Can you indulge in fresh berries with unsweetened whipped cream? Or have some muffins or smoothie mixes in the freezer. This way, DH can feel celebratory and you can indulge with them and just have your own snack.

If you put your favorite smoothie ingredients into serving-sized bags, you'll be ready to just add ice and blend at a moments notice. Put it in a cute glass, and top with a dollop of whipped cream (pre-frozen in individual dollops for such occasions). You'll be sipping fruit and spinach but will still feel like part of the party.

You could blow off steam at the bookstore! ;)

I like a store bought unsweetened ice tea or iced coffee.

Or berries. You could add a small (or large) squirt of whipped cream. I like a bowl of berries with a splash of heavy cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a bit of sliced almonds.

I think the other ideas are great. But why does it even have to be about food???

When we blow off steam we head to the bookstore and everyone gets a new book. We let the kids pick out new sticker books or a small toy. Or we go pick a science kit to do together. Or we go play mini golf. Or we head to a great park with a bike trail. My hubby doesn't bring me flowers or chocolates.......he brings books. Smart man!! ;)

Because we have a child with food allergies we've tried to find things that don't have anything to do with food. Otherwise, that child would forever be left out of everything. So, can you start some new traditions that don't involve food?

Can you find other fun family things about something else? That's what has helped us with the food allergies because it's depressing how many things we can no longer eat.

:iagree:

Outings

go for a walk

watch a movie at home

go buy a new board game