Menu

Need Bible Curriculum

charlotteb

I'd like to find a Bible curriculum for DD, 9 years old. This is her first year homeschooling, as we just adopted her this past summer! However, she isnt very familiar with the Bible. I'd like her to learn things like: how to look up a Bible verse, books of the Bible, memorizing Bible verses, etc. Are there any curricula that cover these things? We do a daily Bible story already, so I don't want something that covers those. Thanks!

Do you know the names of the books of the Bible by heart? Because if so, you can start by teaching her those while you are driving around in the car. Just recite them, little by little, in clumps. Learn the like ones together--Pentateuch, History, Wisdom, Major Prophets, Minor Prophets, Gospels, History, Epistles, Revelation.

I am not a big believer in using a curriculum for that kind of skill. I think it's better to teach it as part of your daily use. So, for instance, looking up Bible verses is one of those things that she should see you doing in every day life, and then you can ask her to do it from time to time, and walk her through how to do so. More like teaching following a recipe than teaching math, IYKWIM.

This is not quite what you were asking for, but Apologia's worldview books are great for that age. The first book is called Who is God? and it's very good. (I'm using it with 2nd-5th graders and we are about halfway through.) You can practice looking up verses that are mentioned in the lessons. We use the suggested memory verses as copywork. And like another poster said, you don't really need a curriculum to memorize the books of the Bible. We did that by just adding 2-3 books to our list every week a few years ago. Now that 3 of my dc know them all, they simply recite them every morning, so the youngers are just picking them up by hearing them daily. We are also using the memory system from simplycharlottemason.com to memorize various Bible verses.

I just thought I'd mention the worldview books since you are already reading Bible stories, and this is something different. What the dc learn through the worldview study will affect how they view everything they learn in other subjects.

I suggest just reading Bible stories from the Jesus Stirybook Bible. Then each time, show her where the story is in the "real" Bible and discuss it.

You can do this very conversationally. "Let's see where Esther is in the real Bible. Lets look at the table of Contents. This is called the book of Esther because its about Esther. Other books are named after the person who wrote the book. Lets look. Ok Esther 1:3. That means the first chapter."

Ok now that we flipped to the first Chapter, lets fund verse 3. Here it is. There's Esther 1:3."

Then put it away and the next day do something similar.

By the way, AWANA covers a lot of this, especially with parental involvement the kids get a very solid Bible overview. At 9, your daughter would be in T&T which focuses a lot on the Bible. Ultimate Adventure covers why God gave us the Bible. And Ultimate Challenge covers how we know the Bible is true.

However, AWANA At Home, is nothing like AWANA. It us a basic discipleship program meAnt to encourage Christian living. It doesn't cover Biblw memory, books of the Bible, etc. (just thought I'd clear that up. A lot of people think the new "AWANA at Home" program is AWANA solo, but its not.

I suggest just reading Bible stories from the Jesus Stirybook Bible. Then each time, show her where the story is in the "real" Bible and discuss it.

You can do this very conversationally. "Let's see where Esther is in the real Bible. Lets look at the table of Contents. This is called the book of Esther because its about Esther. Other books are named after the person who wrote the book. Lets look. Ok Esther 1:3. That means the first chapter."

Ok now that we flipped to the first Chapter, lets fund verse 3. Here it is. There's Esther 1:3."

Then put it away and the next day do something similar.

By the way, AWANA covers a lot of this, especially with parental involvement the kids get a very solid Bible overview. At 9, your daughter would be in T&T which focuses a lot on the Bible. Ultimate Adventure covers why God gave us the Bible. And Ultimate Challenge covers how we know the Bible is true.

However, AWANA At Home, is nothing like AWANA. It us a basic discipleship program meAnt to encourage Christian living. It doesn't cover Biblw memory, books of the Bible, etc. (just thought I'd clear that up. A lot of people think the new "AWANA at Home" program is AWANA solo, but its not.

Huh, you are right, I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying. We have the books left over from a previous Awana so have just been using that at home.