Menu

Look what found me at work this morning

My husband is trying to think of places he can hide my dead body right now. :tongue_smilie: But, I couldn't just leave this cute little face all scrunched up in the bushes, could I?

orangekitten.jpg

For the life of me, I can't tell if he's male or female. Of all the animal knowledge I have, I just can't seem to correctly sex kittens. :001_huh: DS13 is hoping it's a male so we can name him Apollo after the Greek Sun God.

I sent a pm, I didn't want to be too graphic here.:D

But, the idea is this: when examining their rear end look for either dot-dot and it equals a girl, and dot-space-dot equals boy.

ETA: I vote boy. Those markings are *usually* on boys. (just watch this one be a girl)

I've got 2 cats and got them when they were kittens and that still doesn't make sense to me!

(Of course it is obvious now that they are boys. They're not yet fixed. I need to do that soon.)

He's awesome! He is going to be so much fun your dh will forgive you.

Terrible (but sorta funny) story:

When I was a kid my dad, after much wheedling, said we could have 1 kitten. For reasons I no longer remember, my mom got two (siblings that looked essentially the same, but not completely identical). We kept one in an upstairs bedroom and the other downstairs. So, officially, we only had one cat. Except the upstairs bedroom has a little step-down under the door, so there was sort of a gap. And sometimes the kitten would get out.

My dad would come down the stairs and see a kitten and be all :001_huh:, "I just saw that cat upstairs. How did it get down here before me?":confused:

This went on for weeks. I don't know why my mother thought it could work. Eventually, the upstairs cat got downstairs and we were busted.

But before that my poor dad really thought he was losing his mind.

We were so bad.

When I was a kid my dad, after much wheedling, said we could have 1 kitten. For reasons I no longer remember, my mom got two (siblings that looked essentially the same, but not completely identical). We kept one in an upstairs bedroom and the other downstairs. So, officially, we only had one cat. Except the upstairs bedroom has a little step-down under the door, so there was sort of a gap. And sometimes the kitten would get out.

My dad would come down the stairs and see a kitten and be all :001_huh:, "I just saw that cat upstairs. How did it get down here before me?":confused:

This went on for weeks. I don't know why my mother thought it could work. Eventually, the upstairs cat got downstairs and we were busted.

We were so bad.

:lol: funny!

My husband is trying to think of places he can hide my dead body right now. :tongue_smilie: But, I couldn't just leave this cute little face all scrunched up in the bushes, could I?

orangekitten.jpg

For the life of me, I can't tell if he's male or female. Of all the animal knowledge I have, I just can't seem to correctly sex kittens. :001_huh: DS13 is hoping it's a male so we can name him Apollo after the Greek Sun God.

Oh my! That looks like our kittens! We rescued 2 (male and female) who were about 3 weeks old. After bottle feeding for a while, they are now eating and playing like crazy. We named them Thor and Elli (Elli is actually a Viking female who defeats Thor in a wrestling match - our Elli beat up on Thor quite a bit for a while because he was smaller)

Awwww, how cute! Two of our orange cats were female (unusual) and one was male.

When I went to a homeschool conference in June I came home with a new kitten, DH was not impressed. Yesterday, after visiting a friend, I came home with a new chicken and a duck. :tongue_smilie:

I sent a pm, I didn't want to be too graphic here.:D

But, the idea is this: when examining their rear end look for either dot-dot and it equals a girl, and dot-space-dot equals boy.

ETA: I vote boy. Those markings are *usually* on boys. (just watch this one be a girl)

My guess is boy based on the markings, too. I know that ginger cats are statistically more likely to be male. I'm familiar with the method you described :D but I've still never been able to figure it out. With all of our kittens (this one included) I always hold them up to the computer and try to compare them to sexing pictures, but I'm still always stumped. I'll make a fine Vet Tech one of these days, won't I? :lol:

When I went to a homeschool conference in June I came home with a new kitten, DH was not impressed. Yesterday, after visiting a friend, I came home with a new chicken and a duck. :tongue_smilie:

:D That sounds like me.

LOL - That is the best explanation I have ever heard. I made a series of very embarrassing phone calls to vets trying to get me to tell how to do this for gerbils. Ug. All they would say was that it was obvious. Not helpful. I finally described my two different types for one and MADE him tell me which was which. Grrrr. And when I told my mother the story, she said, "Oh! I could have told you that." Moral of the story: Always ask your mother first.

Nan

What a cutie!! And don't feel bad, I can't ever sex a kitten either!! I'm still stumped on the two that I have. I'm pretty sure the one is a boy, but the other one has me guessing because it's a bit more furry down there. :lol: I'll be bringing them to the vet so they can tell me for sure. :)

Be careful when naming this cute little one. Your kids will be using that name as their security question for the rest of their lives. :D

"what's the name of your first pet?"

:lol: Well, it's a good thing I nixed his first suggestion then.

He wanted to name him Ron Weasley. :tongue_smilie:

He's awesome! He is going to be so much fun your dh will forgive you.

We were so bad.

:lol::lol::lol:

What a cutie!! And don't feel bad, I can't ever sex a kitten either!! I'm still stumped on the two that I have. I'm pretty sure the one is a boy, but the other one has me guessing because it's a bit more furry down there. :lol: I'll be bringing them to the vet so they can tell me for sure. :)

Get this. A few years ago this big fluffy seal point Himalayan showed up at our house out of nowhere. It was not "obviously" a boy, so we assumed girl and named it Esme (short for Esmeralda, by the way, NOT named after Twilight :glare:). Well, my MIL, who was once a Siamese breeder, comes over and says she too thinks it is a female. After a year we still hadn't found this cat's owners so we gave it to my MIL who had just lost her 19 yr. old Siamese. She took it to the vet and they said, "you've been calling this cat Esme for a year but she's actually a neutered MALE." :001_huh: :lol: The poor cat is still called Esme because it learned its name and my MIL thought it would be mean to change it.

Awwww, how cute! Two of our orange cats were female (unusual) and one was male.

I think if your dh is going to quit letting to places with out him! LOL

I have an orange male. His name is Muridan, but we call him Murray. This picture captures his entire contribution to the household.

post-397-13535087689079_thumb.jpg

post-397-13535087689079_thumb.jpg

Get this. A few years ago this big fluffy seal point Himalayan showed up at our house out of nowhere. It was not "obviously" a boy, so we assumed girl and named it Esme (short for Esmeralda, by the way, NOT named after Twilight :glare:). Well, my MIL, who was once a Siamese breeder, comes over and says she too thinks it is a female. After a year we still hadn't found this cat's owners so we gave it to my MIL who had just lost her 19 yr. old Siamese. She took it to the vet and they said, "you've been calling this cat Esme for a year but she's actually a neutered MALE." :001_huh: :lol: The poor cat is still called Esme because it learned its name and my MIL thought it would be mean to change it.

I can top that one. We found a long haired kitten in my MIL's bushes, declared it male, and named him Oscar . My father agreed with us. We took the kitten in for a check up and our VET declared we were wrong and it was a girl. We too had a hard time changing the name since Oscar made us laugh. (My 5 yo was asked to name the cat and with the straight face of a 5yo declared the cat "wiener". Uh, no, but Oscar Mayer would work). Fast forward a few months and female Oscar went into a different vet for her spaying (ours is disabled in one hand and doesn't do complex surgery). I got a phone call about 430 with a "problem". Oscar was a boy, and did we want him to be neutered? Luckily they discovered this before cutting into him. All this was very confusing to said 5yo little girl. Needless to say, when we came home from the u/s of the youngest kiddo and told her it would be another boy, she told us to go back to the doctor so he could change it into a girl.

I can top that one. We found a long haired kitten in my MIL's bushes, declared it male, and named him Oscar . My father agreed with us. We took the kitten in for a check up and our VET declared we were wrong and it was a girl. We too had a hard time changing the name since Oscar made us laugh. (My 5 yo was asked to name the cat and with the straight face of a 5yo declared the cat "wiener". Uh, no, but Oscar Mayer would work). Fast forward a few months and female Oscar went into a different vet for her spaying (ours is disabled in one hand and doesn't do complex surgery). I got a phone call about 430 with a "problem". Oscar was a boy, and did we want him to be neutered? Luckily they discovered this before cutting into him. All this was very confusing to said 5yo little girl. Needless to say, when we came home from the u/s of the youngest kiddo and told her it would be another boy, she told us to go back to the doctor so he could change it into a girl.

LOL! That's hilarious! We also had a gender issue many years ago. We adopted 2 kittens from different litters - a long haired orange stripe and a

Siamese mix. Both were the same age - about 6 weeks old. We were told that the Siamese was male (kinda obvious) and the long hair kitty was a female. Yay! We wanted to have a litter of kittens eventually. They were named Samson and Delilah. Well, the Siamese continued to "nurse" on the long hair kitty, who was agreeable. Imagine our surprise when I complained to the vet that Delilah just didn't seem to get pregnant and surely she should have by that time. The vet laughed and said we needed to change his name to Dale.

He passed away last year at the age of 16 :D That's quite an accomplishment for a country cat.

post-25-1353508769015_thumb.jpg

What a cutie! Sexing kittens is hard, but it's true that orange cats are usually male. Swellmomma's right though. Every orange cat I've had or known has been crazy!

orangekitten.jpg

For the life of me, I can't tell if he's male or female. Of all the animal knowledge I have, I just can't seem to correctly sex kittens. :001_huh:

DS13 is hoping it's a male so we can name him Apollo after the Greek Sun God.

Well, he will be the most adorable deity ever. :D

we have an orange and white cat, named Ginger and we always known he was a boy. My dd named him after the book Ginger Pye which is a male dog , also we have a picture book that stars an orange and white cat, male and yes named Ginger. People think we are crazy. When strangers walk by and ask his name , we say Ginger and they assume a girl. We have given up on explaining the book Ginger Pye so now just let it slide

Your kitten is a cutie. So even if he turns out to be a girl, go ahead and name her Apollo if you want. Your cat to name whatever you want and just let people think you are crazy, so what.

:lol: That. Is. Awesome.

Every orange cat I've had or known has been crazy!

I'm hoping that by crazy you mean loving, affectionate, and always willing to curl up in a lap for snuggle time. :tongue_smilie:

Well, he will be the most adorable deity ever. :D

Deity indeed. He will be spoiled beyond words. In fact, DH just came home from the grocery store and said, "Here. I bought an extra pound of turkey for the new one." :D I knew he wouldn't hate him nearly as much as he was letting on.

Edited by contessa20

We had a stray show up at our house when I was younger and naturally we took it in. We thought it was a girl and named it Prissy. Sometime later we took her in to get spayed. Yeah, she was he and HAD his parts. :001_huh: They were honestly hidden under so much fur that we never noticed! That's why my two will be verified by a professional. :lol:

What a cutie! Sexing kittens is hard, but it's true that orange cats are usually male. Swellmomma's right though. Every orange cat I've had or known has been crazy!

Now I just keep thinking of that t-shirt from The Onion that reads Kitten Thinks of Nothing But Murder All Day.

For what it's worth, though, the mellowest, most laid-back cat I ever had was a big, rangy orange. My black and white tuxedo cat, on the other hand, is a complete nutbunny. Never know what you're going to get! :)

He's adorable! I'd never have been able to leave a cutie like that outside.

Be careful when naming this cute little one. Your kids will be using that name as their security question for the rest of their lives. :D "what's the name of your first pet?"

:lol: This is so true! DH now clearly remembers the name of my first pet - a solid smoky gray cat named Mittens. I was 3 and insisted he had to be called that b/c he'd obviously lost his.

:D I had this happen to me too. I had saved up my babysitting money and sweet-talked my dad in letting me have a cat (he doesn't like them). An adorable white fluffball picked me. Well, it so much fur we couldn't tell what it was and I decided "she" needed an elegant name, and called her Phoebe. The day before my mom was supposed to take Phoebe into the vet to be spayed, I came home from school and she told me Phoebe was a Fred. The poor cat remained Phoebe for 17 yrs, but we still joke about it.

I must admit that I'm pleased to say that my kitten sexing has vastly improved. The last 7 kittens we've had (adopted and born to us) were all identified correctly very early on. One of current batch is an orange striped male born to a calico momma. His name is Sargeant Fluffyboots, aka Sarge. He's crazy and constantly instigating trouble with siblings, daddy cat, and the dog, but I love him.

:001_wub: Oh my goodness, we're oooing and ahhing over that cutie here! NO ONE could leave that face out in the bushes.

We have an orange male cat too. And he's only a little bit crazy. :D I have to say, we have 2 cats and he's my favorite because he loves me with all his might. He's definitely my fur baby.

I'm hoping that by crazy you mean loving, affectionate, and always willing to curl up in a lap for snuggle time. :tongue_smilie:

Our most recent orange cat was not cuddly, not really sweet, and completely unpredictable. One minute he loved us, then suddenly he would attack. He would meow loudly until you gave him what he wanted (usually food). He barely tolerated our other cats and our dogs.

We just lost him in May at age 17. In spite of all I wrote above, we loved him and still miss him terribly.

LOL! That's hilarious! We also had a gender issue many years ago. We adopted 2 kittens from different litters - a long haired orange stripe and a

Siamese mix. Both were the same age - about 6 weeks old. We were told that the Siamese was male (kinda obvious) and the long hair kitty was a female. Yay! We wanted to have a litter of kittens eventually. They were named Samson and Delilah. Well, the Siamese continued to "nurse" on the long hair kitty, who was agreeable. Imagine our surprise when I complained to the vet that Delilah just didn't seem to get pregnant and surely she should have by that time. The vet laughed and said we needed to change his name to Dale.

He passed away last year at the age of 16 :D That's quite an accomplishment for a country cat.

That eerily resembles my gender confused puff ball who will live on his $50 a bag food to the ripe age of 20 out of spite for me. I'm not a cat person but starting to like him better now that I can make the oldest do the kitty litter.

Not around here. You can have an orange stray in my area any day that you want one. They are very, very common. Second only to grey stripes.

That's so funny. Around here you almost never see ginger colored cats. Most of our strays are black or gray striped. I've wanted a ginger for SO long but DH said no more cats. :tongue_smilie: It's kind of funny, for the longest time we've had 4 cats, always a combination of our indoor pampered ones and a stray or feral or two. Whenever one of the strays or ferals leaves, another one finds us. Well, one of our ferals has been gone for a good 6 months or more, and I just told DH the other day that we had a "vacancy" and should be expecting a new arrival anytime now. He looked at me and said, "We have NO vacancies. Three is IT." :D Funny how that works, huh!?!?!