Menu

Rain in Seattle

So how long will it rain for you? My family in WA have said before that it rained for 56 days straight. Is that how it usually goes for you? Once it starts raining, it doesn't stop for a long time?

I've always thought I'd like Washington state.

Nah, it doesn't do that all the time. We've had records of days with no stop, but really it is NOT as bad as people think. And it's not like pouring out rain all the time. Could just be a mist/drizzle.

We had some drops here, but nothing much.

IT's beautiful. WE have clean air, clean water. IMO the amount of Evergreens cancel out the clouds. Heck my kids run IN when it's sunny LOL

So how long will it rain for you? My family in WA have said before that it rained for 56 days straight. Is that how it usually goes for you? Once it starts raining, it doesn't stop for a long time?

I've always thought I'd like Washington state.

The joke around here is that it may rain for a few days at a time, but the sun won't shine for about four months. It's not the rain that is so bad, but the lack of sun for a long period of time is a bummer. :glare:

Summers in the Pacific Northwest are amazing though! But you have to wait until July 5th for them to start.:001_smile:

Nah, it doesn't do that all the time. We've had records of days with no stop, but really it is NOT as bad as people think. And it's not like pouring out rain all the time. Could just be a mist/drizzle.

We had some drops here, but nothing much.

IT's beautiful. WE have clean air, clean water. IMO the amount of Evergreens cancel out the clouds. Heck my kids run IN when it's sunny LOL

It's true about not being as bas as people think. We have a saying here: If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. :D

A tiny drizzle this AM but nothing more so far. I admit though, I'll miss the sun. We live in the woods and I realized this past year, I think I need to start taking vit D supplements in the fall/winter. Because of how low the sun is during fall/winter, we still might not get any direct light because of the trees. My mood and energy hit bottom last year.

It's true about not being as bas as people think. We have a saying here: If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. :D

A tiny drizzle this AM but nothing more so far. I admit though, I'll miss the sun. We live in the woods and I realized this past year, I think I need to start taking vit D supplements in the fall/winter. Because of how low the sun is during fall/winter, we still might not get any direct light because of the trees. My mood and energy hit bottom last year.

Oh yeah I love that one!

Whenever I gripe my dad always says "clean air, clean water, and SALMON!"

They are warning that there might be power outages today when it finally rains hard.

NOOOOOOOO!

Our three day outage in January is still legendary in this house. I have no desire to freeze. It's already cold enough even with the heat up.

I loved our extra sunny summer. It was awesome. I'm so sad it is over. I do NOT understand the rejoicing over the rain. I do not enjoy the winters even after 20 years.

Heck my kids run IN when it's sunny LOL

:iagree:

If it's above 68 and sunny, my kids are complaining it's too hot outside!:confused:

And if the sun pops out at any time of day, I immediately use it as an excuse to kick them outside. "Go out & play, the sun is out!"

Just light drizzles in north Kitsap. We haven't turned on our heat yet, but our electric blankets and flannel sheets have been broken out again.

we had rain first thing this morning, so it's dried up mostly by now. we had a shower in sept, so I'm wondering if it's the first time sea-tac got rain that they're claiming we've had none since July.

eta: it's interesting jean has had no rain, and I have. we live about 20 minute apart. (and we're no where near the convergence zone.)

Edited by gardenmom5

Oh yeah I love that one!

Whenever I gripe my dad always says "clean air, clean water, and SALMON!"

Non-farmed salmon. let's be precise here! and crab, and clams, and oysters, . . .

if you really need sun in the winter, go to sequim. they're in the rain shadow and get lots of sun. good lavendar growing conditions too.

We actually get more rain than Seattle. I think we got 80 inches last year and so far this year have gotten 30.5 inches. So we'll get another 50 inches between now and the end of the year! I fully expect it to rain every day now. Everyone is rejoicing over the rain here but not me. I like the sun way too much. We've been here 4 years and I still hate it.

I have lived in both Portland and Seattle. We get more rainfall where I live now than they do in those cities but the difference is that it is not a constant rain here. We have rainy months, usually the spring and fall, with a few intermittent rain days the rest of the year. It was just so constant in the NW. We get real good long downpours and huge thunderstorms here and my husband (who grew up in Portland) took some time getting used to that. I think there was only one big thunderstorm the whole time I lived in the NW.

I struggled living in the NW because of all the cloudy, drizzly days. And I hated have to bundle up to watch the fireworks on the 4 of July. :tongue_smilie: I loved the summers in the NW but they were way to short for me. I am a sun loving girl.

I do miss the NW sometimes but I don't miss the weather.

we had rain first thing this morning, so it's dried up mostly by now. we had a shower in sept, so I'm wondering if it's the first time sea-tac got rain that they're claiming we've had none since July.

eta: it's interesting jean has had no rain, and I have. we live about 20 minute apart. (and we're no where near the convergence zone.)

I've gotten some now but it was a misty type thing.

One day it was raining in our front yard, so I went to bring the dogs in and it was nice and sunny in the back yard!

I spent the day in Seattle at Woodland Park Zoo (Homeschool Day.... There is another one on Monday and again on Halloween if you want to preregister and go. It was fantastic.) and not so much as a drop of rain the whole time we were there. My husband said it rained pretty hard for a while in Oly though. Glad I missed it. :)

Hmmm... I disagree with the "it's not so bad" contingency.

For those of you thinking about the supposedly lovely sort-of-rainy weather here in Seattle, I'll just say that I assume it will be raining from October until June.

Now, of course it doesn't rain every minute, but it is indeed damp and dark-ish and drippy for most of those months.

Dark, damp, drippy.

It started tonight as soon as I sat on the bleachers for my son's football game.

Fall is finally here. :) It does sound nice on the roof...

The joke around here is that it may rain for a few days at a time, but the sun won't shine for about four months. It's not the rain that is so bad, but the lack of sun for a long period of time is a bummer. :glare:

Summers in the Pacific Northwest are amazing though! But you have to wait until July 5th for them to start.:001_smile:

July 5th didn't come till early August this year though! I certainly felt cheated this year.

Chiming in on the weather of our fair burg: Usually in January we will get at least some clear skies with sun but it will be freezing at the same time. I love those days after the concrete gray of November and December.

I can deal with the gray and mist. Beats frozen solid under feet of white glop for months. Seattle gets way less rain than people think. Also it rarely rains for super long in a day or super hard.

Hmmm... I disagree with the "it's not so bad" contingency.

For those of you thinking about the supposedly lovely sort-of-rainy weather here in Seattle, I'll just say that I assume it will be raining from October until June.

QUOTE]

I'm with you. Stupid rain. Overcast. Dark. Damp. Drippy. Depressing.

My husband, on the other hand, loves fall/winter/spring here (i.e. Oct-July 5) but he completely avoids going outside except in the summer so it gives the bear an excuse to hibernate from all activity.

It was a big adjustment for me, learning to deal with rainy fall, winter & spring here! I moved from the coastal southeast (just in time for 30 days of rain in 2005) and it was a huge shock.

My kids, especially 6 year old DD1, would have a hard time living anywhere else! On the few hot days we had she would slump around and say "Mommy, I'm as hot as lava!". I think they just have a very narrow Goldilocks temperature range. If it's above about 67 then they wilt, if it's below ~48 then they freeze.

Still waiting for the rain here in my area of central Kitsap. The ground is damp again but nothing I could hear on the roof.

I think they just have a very narrow Goldilocks temperature range. If it's above about 67 then they wilt, if it's below ~48 then they freeze.

Still waiting for the rain here in my area of central Kitsap. The ground is damp again but nothing I could hear on the roof.

I'm with your daughter. I've lived here my whole life and can't imagine living in a different climate. Now, if we heated our house more, I'd be OK to lower temps. My favorite weather is in January and February when it's very chilly out, but the skies are clear and blue.

We had a teeny tiny bit of rain last night. Not enough to do anything. I went out and watered all of my potted plants this morning. It's supposed to be windy tonight and even windier tomorrow night, so I also gathered up anything loose in the yard. :D

I was born here, and went crazy one june visiting the intermountain west wanting to know -doesn't it ever rain???? My son had a similar experience this summer in iowa. they were having a drought so no rain, and he was going through withdrawal. (he also had a hard time with how brown it was - the corn wasn't getting enough water - and everything was totally flat.)

I go outside and do gardening year round, in between drizzle/rain. being outside has more light exposure, and it's not so bad.